Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Osprey again- this time with Q7!!!

Hey guys- who says lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place?

Amazon delivered the Q7 I was waiting on this AM (yes Sunday delivery!).......so I quickly walked across the street into Hamptons Pines Park and again I spot another Osprey eating another fish- what luck!!!!!

I setup the Q7 and same Sigma 170-500 lens and took some shots- this time I was more in a hurry as it started to drizzle and I saw clouds looming- so sadly I didn't setup as well as I would have liked. Unfortunately I had SR off which I had on last time- but the shots were not too bad.

I'm thinking this might be the same Osprey and likely they use the same perch as it was in the same spot as before.......if someone is familiar with their habits- comment on this thinking.

I also took the 06 lens (23mm-203mm) and took a few shots with that- just for reach comparison..........also spotted a nice adult iguana sunning by the canal.

Hope you guys like them---- sorry if you're bored of these as they're similar to the original Pentax Q shots.
Cheers~~

Attached Images

01-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Original Poster
The Iguana is the 06 zoom lens~
Attached Images

01-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I missed your last shots but these are great! I don't seek out birds passionately but I catch a break now and then - your work and good timing are rewarded here.
01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I'm certainly not bored, but you're creating a certain amount envy in my household. It is snowing again here, and my wife desperately wants to live some place where you get to see the sun on occasion during the winter months.

01-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Jimr.
reh321, that's exactly why I moved to Florida last year......had enough of NYC weather and general lower quality of life standard..........saved some money and relocated entire family to Florida- and we're loving every minute of FL life- I get asked if I would move back to NY- and my answer is always an emphatic "heck NO!"
01-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice! I think the Q7 shots have a little tighter grain/less noise than your previous Q shots. Have you processed these at all? Are they RAW? I ask because I see a bit of CA and the black levels are a touch high on my monitor.

I've just ordered the 55-300 HD WR and the Pentax Q-K adapter for use with my Q7. Looking forward to all of the bits arriving and trying this myself.

Thanks for sharing!
01-04-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
John, I agree with the lower noise levels with the Q7 over the Q.......not a tremendous difference but visible at 100%.
The images were all DNG files then processed to suit in PS.......mainly a little shadow lifting and downsizing.

I think Pentax's newest Q should be shaped just like a mini K5 (or other Pentax DSLR)- I bet that alone would spark sales as people tend to view DSLR's as the best in image quality........I think that would be killer- imagine how cool that would be!

Not quite this small- leave it at Q size~
01-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Hey guys- who says lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place?

Amazon delivered the Q7 I was waiting on this AM (yes Sunday delivery!).......so I quickly walked across the street into Hamptons Pines Park and again I spot another Osprey eating another fish- what luck!!!!!

I setup the Q7 and same Sigma 170-500 lens and took some shots- this time I was more in a hurry as it started to drizzle and I saw clouds looming- so sadly I didn't setup as well as I would have liked. Unfortunately I had SR off which I had on last time- but the shots were not too bad.

I'm thinking this might be the same Osprey and likely they use the same perch as it was in the same spot as before.......if someone is familiar with their habits- comment on this thinking.

I also took the 06 lens (23mm-203mm) and took a few shots with that- just for reach comparison..........also spotted a nice adult iguana sunning by the canal.

Hope you guys like them---- sorry if you're bored of these as they're similar to the original Pentax Q shots.
Cheers~~
Does this lens have an aperture ring, or do you control aperture via the adapter somehow?

01-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does this lens have an aperture ring, or do you control aperture via the adapter somehow?
The adapter has a rotating collar that allows control of the aperture, only problem is there's no way of knowing the aperture as the ring freely rotates without indication of aperture.
01-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #10
Forum Member

Much better quality with your Q7. Great shots!