Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone try 2x or 3x screw on tele-converters with Q lenses?

Has anyone tried to extend the reach of the 06 lens using a screw on tele-converter, results?

The 06 lens would turn into a 609mm with autofocus (3Xtele) curious as to results if anyone has tried one?

01-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would it focus with a 3x converter? F2.8 x 3 = F8. I never had much luck with tele converters with my Panasonic FZ-5 or FZ-8.
01-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Would it focus with a 3x converter? F2.8 x 3 = F8. I never had much luck with tele converters with my Panasonic FZ-5 or FZ-8.
It might... Assuming a proper design, there should be minimal light loss with the TC.
01-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have an old cheap 3x tele and when I hand hold it in front, the 06 does AF....it's just a cheap one and iq is poor......but there are some really good ones out there but weigh quite a bit......hopefully someone can comment about the better ones.
Thanks guys-

01-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

On the Dpreview forum someone posted about his experiences with front lens converters for Q-lenses. He broke his 06 lens this way! I have read more comments on the 06 not beeing especially sturdy and from handling it I wouldn't trust it to carry any extra load.

I have tried cheap ebay-converters on my 01 lens and the image quality was not good enough for serious use.

The 01 lens seems significantly sturdier to me and I use a shopbuilt adapter to mount a microscope eyepiece to my Q with 01 lens and get excellent results. But it has to be handled very carefully because even the 01 is made mainly from plastics including the filter thread.

If you look for greater reach than the 45mm of the 06 provides a nice solution can be found in form of the Pentax 70mm lens for the Pentax Auto 110. The 110 lenses need to be stopped down a stop for good performance and the 70mm still doesnt't quite reach to the performance level of the 06.
A high quality solution probably could be a 80mm 6-lens enlarger lens like a Rodagon 80 in a focusing helix . I use this with my Sony NEX and get great results.
01-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you Altglas.........I ended up buying this----->Nikon TC-E3ED 28mm 3x Telephoto Converter Lens for Select Coolpix Cameras and a 28mm adapter ring~
Will report back with results.
01-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Altglas Quote
On the Dpreview forum someone posted about his experiences with front lens converters for Q-lenses. He broke his 06 lens this way! I have read more comments on the 06 not beeing especially sturdy and from handling it I wouldn't trust it to carry any extra load.
Yeah, I personally wouldn't want to risk damaging the plastic internal mechanism of the lens by hanging more weight off the front to drag in and out when focusing. Plus, as you say, the front converters are often lackluster performers.
01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
Too bad the 06 isn't internal focus!

01-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #9

The Nikon front tele converter is optically probably much better than my cheap TC.
But the problem is: From the photo it's 28mm at the back and probably 70 to 90mm at the front. The weight will be so high that I wouldn't dare to use it even for test shots. As far as I remember the Nikons it is intended for have a fixed tube for the mounting of adapters and filters and the lens sits inside it without any direct contact. In this case the lens carries no extra load.

I've got a ~1960 Zeiss Ikon Contaflex where you only exchange the front lens against wide- and tele- front elements. The 90mm f=4 front element is huge and so heavy that it is already too much load for the never surpassed quality of finest Zeiss metal lens barrel. The Nikon front converter looks very much like this front element.
01-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Nikon lens arrived but my 40.5-28mm step-down ring has not- so not able to test just yet!
01-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

it would be possible to support the front tele converter by means of an arm that is fixed to the tripod mount without mechanical coupling to the lens. The remaining gap could be covered with a matte black covered tube. By fine-tuning the width of the gap it could be possible to maximise the image quality.

Please keep on posting your results. When a front converter matches the lens well the image quality can be as good as any lens elese.
01-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Will do-thanks~~