Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
reh, i just think if people saw a "mini" DSLR, Pentax would sell them by the boatloads.
The Q already has all the adjustments of the DSLR's- a mini DSLR would be so cooool!

01-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
After 100k+ shutter cycles my Q may die.
Shutter cycles on the Q are in the lenses, not the camera

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 10:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
I'm curious to know if the Q-S1 is the end of the line of Q development....or will we see updates to features but same sensor? New model to be released?
I'd certainly like to see the 06 upgraded mechanically to the standard of the 02 or 08.
01-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I avoided the all-black variant because I don't want anyone to take me too seriously - I spend too much time telling people that they can ignore my Canon Rebel because I really really am not a "pro". My original intention was to get a silver/black one for its retro look, but I ended up with a yellow/black one because I could get it cheaper (and certainly no fear that someone will take that seriously!!)
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
reh, i just think if people saw a "mini" DSLR, Pentax would sell them by the boatloads.
The Q already has all the adjustments of the DSLR's- a mini DSLR would be so cooool!
Oh, I agree 101% ... but I don't want any camera that might be mistaken for a Canon T-90. I thought it was so neat to see, at a local Super Target, a white Pentax K-50 in a sea of black Canikon.
01-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I feel that I wear many hats on this.

The practical side, tells me that since the enthusiasts have largely shunned the Q system, the Q should go the lifestyle route.
Even if its going to be a fashion fad, if it can last 5yrs and appeal to the larger mass of ppl out there, why not?
This line of thought would mean, no real improvement to the system (just cosmetic ones and spending the money on tie ins and marketing ).

The enthusiast side of me would hope that the following is allowed to happen:
1. Macro tele; Good WA prime; Faster primes in the 35-100mm eq range (like those security lenses but better resolution).
2. 1" sensor with enough MP in crop mode for the current crop factor older lenses (ie. 8mp after crop is fine imo)
3. Electronic shutter that can flash sync 1/250 minimum even without the OEM adapter.
4. EVF

Hopefully, with the new naming convention seen on the QS-1 and KS-1.
That 'S' stands for 'style'
So QS-1 = "Q mount" "Stylish version" "model #1"

So there is room for a QE-1
Q "Enthusiast" 1

I really don't mind either way so long as Pentax makes good money and stays alive.

01-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Shutter cycles on the Q are in the lenses, not the camera

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 10:31 PM ----------

I'd certainly like to see the 06 upgraded mechanically to the standard of the 02 or 08.
In what way?

J
01-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
In what way?
Whatever it takes to address the issues leading to these user complaints on

SMC Pentax-Q 06 Telephoto Zoom 15-45mm F2.8 Reviews - Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

"cheap feeling plastic body"

"Poor build quality"

"The body is all plastic and while my copy doesn't give the feeling that it will break when extending, it is less robust than my 01 or 02"

"About the build quality; yes, it is all plastic save the lensmount . . . for something this big, it just seems out of place"
01-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
Pentaxian

When people compare the 02 and 06, they usually say that they like the 06 better. I would hate for all the lenses to be priced like the 08.
01-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

When people compare the 02 and 06, they usually say that they like the 06 better.
The optics of the 06 seem fine, but let down by the physical construction.
I would hate for all the lenses to be priced like the 08.
Q lens pricing is bizarre anyway.

Incrementally to bodies, the 02 is selling for USD 20-40,
while even the present incarnation of the 06 costs hundreds.
I'm not eager to pay that much for a plastic-fantastic,
especially since I'm OK with MF,
so I can just put a DA 40 XS on the adapter
and have a shorter lens than the 06.

A telephoto lens like the 06
does not need costly aspheric elements like you have in the 08,
so there would be no justification for a better-built 06
to move up into the 08 price league.

01-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #24

SMC Pentax-Q 06 Telephoto Zoom 15-45mm F2.8 Reviews - Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Ah, I see. Will it's not many reviews that it could be considered representative of all Q owners views really. To me they feel fine. They are very light, thankfully, which may make them feel less rhobust I guess. But they are small pieces of kit that cost a lot - I treat them as such. I'm still not sure how that could be changed yet kept small and light.
J

Last edited by jethro10; 01-15-2015 at 02:01 PM.
01-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So there is room for a QE-1
Q "Enthusiast" 1
Oh, boy do I want the Q-ED.
01-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

"Poor build quality"

"The body is all plastic and while my copy doesn't give the feeling that it will break when extending, it is less robust than my 01 or 02"

"About the build quality; yes, it is all plastic save the lensmount . . . for something this big, it just seems out of place"
I've only been using my 06 lens for about a week and I have a very different impression. It seems solid enough to me if you consider that you will be carrying it in small bag. I wouldn't compare it to a DA 18-135mm or a Limited lens.

A telephoto lens like the 06
does not need costly aspheric elements like you have in the 08,
so there would be no justification for a better-built 06
to move up into the 08 price league.
The Q line up is very susceptible to diffraction. It starts from almost wide open on any of the lenses and only gets worse as the aperture gets smaller. You really do have to shoot either wide open or darn near close to it. Maybe the aspherical lens elements offers some relief in that aspect.
01-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

"Poor build quality"

The 06 build is fine, what's the problem?? What's different about the 01, it's plastic. I also have the 05, it's plastic. Which Q lenses are metal??
01-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The 06 build is fine, what's the problem??
See post #21.

Also, when the lens first came out,
there were users on this forum
who had to add paper shims to the lens
to get it to function smoothly.
01-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

See post #21.
LOL! I did, I even quoted it!

Look, I have had the 06 for over two years, it's fine. Yes the focus ring is a little sloppy but so are the others. The build quality is fine IMHO. And the locking barrel, what's wrong with that?
People just love to find fault and complain.
01-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #30

See post #21.

Also, when the lens first came out,
there were users on this forum
who had to add paper shims to the lens
to get it to function smoothly.
Wow! , if I was one of the few who unfortunately had a faulty lens, I would have returned it. I wouldn't be doing that.
Mind, I've never heard of that, doesn't seem to be a current problem?

Anyhow back in topic. The Q seems to suit far eastern fashionistas and will probably continue to sell well enough.
When my wife took it to a night out with 'the girls' they all though it was a stylish up market camera and perceived it to be premium quality. This seems to be it's biggest market.

J
J

Last edited by jethro10; 01-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.