Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What is future of Pentax Q series? Pentax insiders?

Do we have any Pentax insiders on this forum that can say anything about the future of the Pentax Q series?

I'm curious to know if the Q-S1 is the end of the line of Q development....or will we see updates to features but same sensor? New model to be released?

Best case scenario is of course an updated model with higher specs and newer sensor, but there's virtually no future mention of the Q series by Pentax or others........inquiring minds want to know.

01-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a physical limit on the size of the sensor if they mantain the same lens specifications. So, they are at the mercy to a large degree of what developments there are in sensor technology.
01-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm no insider, but my understanding (based mostly on interviews with Pentax execs) is that the Q mount sells well in Asia and Pentax is committed to it. They plan on releasing a new Q body later this year.

Hopefully that commitment continues beyond this year.
01-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is only one new lens on the roadmap, but they've already surprised us on delivering some lenses that weren't on the K-mount roadmap. The Pentax execs always speak of the Q like they are very committed to it.

01-13-2015, 04:38 AM   #5

Pentax is promoting Q series in emerging market, such as south east Asia. I know few local fashion designers in Malaysia have been chosen as brand ambassador.
See these for example:
R Nadia Sabrina: A Fashionable Camera
Daphne Charice: Camera review : Pentax Q-S1

I think Pentax is committed to Q series, and they want to gain broaden market with this one.
01-13-2015, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much has APS-C advanced since its introduction? A lot.
How much has 36x24 advanced since its introduction? A lot.

The Q series has a way to go. The sensor technology will improve, but the size has probably reached its limit. There are still a couple of lenses still to go - a 20-30ish mm macro and a properly fast 5-7mm prime would just about complete it.
01-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
What is future of Pentax Q series?
So long as it does not have a quick, reliable and easy way to compose and focus it will remain what it is now - a technical curiosity of interest, primarily, to a small group of hobbyist.
This short coming is particularly obvious on a interchangeable lens camera where manual focus is often necessary under bright daylight conditions using a wide variety of adapted lens'.

Last edited by wildman; 01-13-2015 at 06:45 AM.
01-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We could see a return of the metal body. That would get people excited without doing anything ground breaking.

thanks
barondla
01-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all, it seems as if most of you have the impression Pentax will continue the Q series.....I look forward to the next generation of the Q cameras with hopefully better sensors and upgraded components.
Thanks again everyone.....now I don't have to go out and buy 5 Q's thinking they'll eventually disappear!
Cheers
01-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
So long as it does not have a quick, reliable and easy way to compose and focus it will remain what it is now - a technical curiosity of interest, primarily, to a small group of hobbyist.
This short coming is particularly obvious on a interchangeable lens camera where manual focus is often necessary under bright daylight conditions using a wide variety of adapted lens'.
I would see fashion followers being more interested in the Q than hobbyists. Much better camera's available for the hobby. Me I have it because I can!
I can see no reason why a small chic camera will cease to be off worth to Ricoh. Perhaps that's what I need to see, reverse the question. It's selling well in Asia, so why will it be dumped?
J
01-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have said, the official word from Ricoh is that the Q has a future. I have a Q10 with 01 prime, and my wife has the original Q with 02 zoom. I'm looking to upgrade to the Q7 at some point, and add the 06 and 08 lenses.

Beyond that, about all that I want is a better screen, snap focus from GR, and a more flexible Quick Dial. But I'll take whatever other upgrades they want to throw in there!
01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Beyond that, about all that I want is a better screen, snap focus from GR, and a more flexible Quick Dial. But I'll take whatever other upgrades they want to throw in there!
Also a built-in electronic viewfinder and on-chip contrast-detection autofocus when the sensors are eventually made.
01-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you all, it seems as if most of you have the impression Pentax will continue the Q series.....I look forward to the next generation of the Q cameras with hopefully better sensors and upgraded components.
Thanks again everyone.....now I don't have to go out and buy 5 Q's thinking they'll eventually disappear!
Cheers
I don't think you have anything to fear about the Q product line going dead. No matter what happens the consumer wins.

If Ricoh abandons the Q then prices on everything will drop in the short term as retailers try to clear inventory. Frustrated users will sell their gear quickly and at a bigger loss to get onto another platform like u4/3 or Nikon 1. The dedicated Q users will snap up the gear in a blink of an eye!

Prices will rise a bit on the used market but only temporarily. Sellers will use words like "rare" or "last one!" to get buyers interested. Some will fall for it. Most won't. Sellers will tire of holding onto the gear and prices will be restored. Then the Q becomes a faded memory. Bodies, lenses, and accessories will sell like old point and shoots for pennies. Whoever didn't buy their gear yet will do so then.

After 100k+ shutter cycles my Q may die. The used market will probably be dry except for the occasional low mileage unit posted on eBay. I probably will have moved on by then too - either to a new platform or into old age.

Otherwise, if Ricoh keeps the Q alive as they should, we should expect incremental upgrades to the sensor tech over time and an occasional lens release. I've stated in the past that the 01, 02, 03, 06, and 08 lens line up looks pretty complete. Others want macro and that's totally understandable. So add one more lens into that line up and you have a very complete 6-lens kit.
01-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
6BQ5, I agree 100% with your outlook- just to be safe I just ordered another all black Q7 (my 5th or 6th Q to date) and lens combo and will likely keep it as a spare.
I'd like a Q-S1 even though many don't like the body, but at nearly 2X the price of the Q7, it's a no go for me.

Long live the Q !
(~and may many more models with upgrades come!!)
(I really think Pentax should restyle it into a mini DSLR style- I know they'd sell a boatload if they did!)
Make it look like this~
01-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

6BQ5, I agree 100% with your outlook- just to be safe I just ordered another all black Q7 (my 5th or 6th Q to date) and lens combo and will likely keep it as a spare.
I'd like a Q-S1 even though many don't like the body, but at nearly 2X the price of the Q7, it's a no go for me.
I avoided the all-black variant because I don't want anyone to take me too seriously - I spend too much time telling people that they can ignore my Canon Rebel because I really really am not a "pro". My original intention was to get a silver/black one for its retro look, but I ended up with a yellow/black one because I could get it cheaper (and certainly no fear that someone will take that seriously!!)