Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Congrats on the new Q7, I love mine, (2nd one I damaged my 1st) I also noticed a slight vignetting on my 02 hood, just got the dremmel tool out and made a flower petal hood out of mine

Is the vignetting happening with the octagonal hood?

01-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote

If you have a chance, I suspect some Q fans would be interested in a picture of the Japan only literature.
Forthcoming!

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Congrats on the Q7.
I'm very interested in the diffraction you're noticing, could you post pics to show this?
Forthcoming as well! Actually, you can see for yourself too with an easy experiment. Set up the camera on a tripod and shoot a scene at f/3.2 with the 06 lens. Try for something distant, like a power or telephone pole. Then click down to f/8. Compare images. The first image will have a very sharp center and maybe soft edges due to a limited depth of field. The second image will have extra depth of field at the expense of a softer center. For a 4"x6" print it may not matter. Pixel peepers may blow a gasket.
01-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Actually, you can see for yourself too with an easy experiment. Set up the camera on a tripod and shoot a scene at f/3.2 with the 06 lens. Try for something distant, like a power or telephone pole. Then click down to f/8. Compare images. The first image will have a very sharp center and maybe soft edges due to a limited depth of field. The second image will have extra depth of field at the expense of a softer center. For a 4"x6" print it may not matter. Pixel peepers may blow a gasket.
Please don't take the following comments personally - they may say more about me than about you.

Any time instructions start with "set up the camera on a tripod", I say to myself, "some serious precision is coming". A year ago, when I had no idea that in less than a year I would be thinking of changing from the Canon Rebel family to the Pentax K family, I bought myself a Tamron 18mm-270mm. On-line reviews complained about softness in the image provided by this lens ... but I'm not sure I've ever noticed it. Maybe I need to put more effort into going over my pictures, but if I can read signs in the landscape and lettering on railroad locomotives, and the overall appearance looks similar to what I was getting with Kodachrome 25, then I'm OK with the results. I sometimes use the term "needle sharp" instead of "razor sharp" for what many people expect these days, because sharpness appears almost like an addiction to me.

I was going to say something like "maybe we should reference this from the DSLR to Q7 - What was your biggest disappointment? thread, because I'm thinking this effect you're seeing is a result of the smallness of the Q system - you lose something (in this case, diffraction) when you gain something (in this case, small size). On the other hand, B&H lists the 06 for $296.97. I'm guessing that every 70mm-210mm full-frame lens that is priced under $300 new has its own issues, so perhaps this just fits into that category?