Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Power options?

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse, but has anyone come up with something that will last more than the default battery of the Q?
I don't like to keep switching batteries, it's probably stupid fear that I'll damage the thing, but explanations are beside the point.

So far, from what I've seen, I've gathered that:

- Shooting JPEG only doesn't seem to increase battery life significantly. (Anyone confirms?)

- No-brand batteries have a shorter life than the Pentax one.

- Maybe there are serious-brand batteries conforming to the same interface that have a longer life? The battery on the K-30 or the one on the Canon 70d last several times more and aren't several times larger - but maybe they last more because I don't use Live View much?

- Fuji batteries that do the same as the Q battery are cheaper, ditto for the AC adapter.

- The Q *could* have a battery grip, it has a hole for AC that would allow connecting extra batteries. What are the odds of us getting one?

- If no battery grip, could there be some DIY solution? Just the other day I saw one of those USB 'power bricks' that work as a mobile battery you can connect to anything that charges via USB...

01-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite probable that the "battery shell" and leads used with the Q's AC Adapter could also be used with a suitable, portable DC source. (see pg 41 of the Q Manual.) It would also be possible to duplicate the shape of the battery including the proper contacts with a wire 'tail' ported to an external power pack.

Using a DC-DC voltage converter such as below it would be possible to feed from many optional battery power packs.

" Step Down Module LM2596. Input voltage:4V-40V. Voltage regulation: 2.5% - Output voltage:1.3V-35V. "

https://www.google.com/search?q=++dc+volktage+regulator&sourceid=ie7&rls=com...lz=&gws_rd=ssl

Feed it with one 9VDC battery (or more in parallel for extended AH capacity?) or an auto battery, D, C, AA or AAA battery pack clipped to your neck strap or in your pocket.

I haven't done this for a K- or Q-body (yet!) but I've used these DC modules for other similar power packs (GPS, solar battery chargers, etc.) and output regulation is adequately stable for the purpose.
01-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Since it's 3.6V, I'd say go to your local hobby shop (or eBay) and get a 1S LiPo in 4000mah and purchase the Pentax AC adapter which comes with a dummy battery and wire lead- you can then plug that into the 3.7V LiPo and you'd have over an hour of straight use!
Best part- you can charge the lipo super fast and continue again..........it's allot of work and I think spare standard batts are a better option- especially considering their small size and low cost- I have about 8 of them.
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Boy I'd love to see a battery grip for the Q series. It would stand to make a bigger difference in the shooting experience, compared to adding one to the DSLRs. I have relatively large hands and don't feel there is much difference between using the grip for my K-5 or not. But it could really morph the Q line.

01-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kind of doubt there will be a battery grip for the Q; the "received knowledge" here is that small size is the primary characteristic of the Q-family, so you're unlikely to see a professional version. I would be very leery of a DIY version, because you'd have to be very certain what each battery connector does, because I'd hate to ruin a $300 camera in an effort to save a few bucks or to extend the time between battery changes.
01-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
A grip would be fairly easy to fabricate.....a lipo could be put inside for extended shooting time........it's doable!