Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Recommend wide zoom for Q?

Hey guys, does anyone use an 18mm-300mm wide zoom (or similar) on the Q with good results?
Generally wide zooms do poorly but the Q uses the center portion of adapted lenses where they're often best and might showcase a lens allot better than it's APS-C or FF captures show.........any wide zoom users out there care to make a recommendation or post sample photos?

I'm using 170-500 and 75-300 which start out long on the Q- would like to try a zoom that starts around 18mm or so for more versatility but don't know which lens to try.

Thanks guys~~~looking forward to your sample photos; please post at both ends of the zoom range so we can judge image quality at both extremes.
Cheers~~~~

01-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Hey guys, does anyone use an 18mm-300mm wide zoom (or similar) on the Q with good results?
Generally wide zooms do poorly but the Q uses the center portion of adapted lenses where they're often best and might showcase a lens allot better than it's APS-C or FF captures show.........any wide zoom users out there care to make a recommendation or post sample photos?

I'm using 170-500 and 75-300 which start out long on the Q- would like to try a zoom that starts around 18mm or so for more versatility but don't know which lens to try.

Thanks guys~~~looking forward to your sample photos; please post at both ends of the zoom range so we can judge image quality at both extremes.
Cheers~~~~
I have an 18-250 that I can try this weekend. Is there anything in particular you are trying to take a picture of?
01-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny, I just tested my 10-17mm fisheye zoom on the Q7 just because I happened to have the Pentax K-Q adapter mounted. The first thing I noticed is a distinct lack of fishyness because as you mentioned the Q is using just the center of the lens where things are pretty rectilinear. The next thing I noticed is that even the 10mm wide end gave me a near normal FOV-47mm.

Then I thought about it-adapting the 10-17mm to the Q makes no sense at all since the 02 Zoom covers a more useful range while being smaller, faster, and with AF and an ND filter.

So from now on I plan to adapt lenses only if it covers a range not covered by native Q lenses.
01-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pearsaab, i'd love that.....could you take a few photos at 18mm and then zoom out to 250mm.....would like to guage image quality......thanks again.

01-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Funny, I just tested my 10-17mm fisheye zoom on the Q7 just because I happened to have the Pentax K-Q adapter mounted. The first thing I noticed is a distinct lack of fishyness because as you mentioned the Q is using just the center of the lens where things are pretty rectilinear. The next thing I noticed is that even the 10mm wide end gave me a near normal FOV-47mm.

Then I thought about it-adapting the 10-17mm to the Q makes no sense at all since the 02 Zoom covers a more useful range while being smaller, faster, and with AF and an ND filter.

So from now on I plan to adapt lenses only if it covers a range not covered by native Q lenses.
Yeah, I have a bunch of Canon EF lenses, including an older Tamron 18mm-270mm, for the Canon Rebel that has been my primary camera for the past seven years, but I haven't bothered to get an EF-PQ adapter for similar reasons, plus the facts that I would be using a funky on-adapter system to control aperture, and some of the lenses are huge, and I'd have only the electronic shutter. I plan to use native-Q lenses if they are available.
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only lens shorter than 50mm I would use on the Q would be the DA 35mm macro limited; it should become a very usable ultra-macro.
I have tried the DA10-17, DA15, DA21, FA31 among others.

Actually, the FA31 does render very nicely on the Q, but the 35 macro would get you soooo much closer....

01-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
In a nutshell I'm just looking to see which wide angle zoom lens starting around 18mm or so (and goes to 250mm or more) would work best on the Q and am asking for sample images should anyone be shooting with such a lens.....I'm just looking for the ultimate in versatility in 1 lens!

01-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a nutshell I'm just looking to see which wide angle zoom lens starting around 18mm or so (and goes to 250mm or more) would work best on the Q and am asking for sample images should anyone be shooting with such a lens.....I'm just looking for the ultimate in versatility in 1 lens!
steve i will try to take some this weekend
01-16-2015, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That completely defeats the purpose of a tiny interchangeable lens camera like the Q. What you want is a superzoom bridge camera like the X-5.
01-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
Sandy not at all........that's why we want "interchangeable"- that's the whole point!
I have just about all the Pentax Q lenses- but I also like to "play" with the adapted lenses and have had reasonably good luck with longer lenses and reach because of the small sensor's crop factor........walking around a park with a 18-270mm zoom is like having a 82mm to 1242mm lens- what more could anyone ask for in a 1 lens solution!

PearSaab, I'd be much obliged if you could take some shots when you have the time~ cheers and have a good one everyone!
01-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That completely defeats the purpose of a tiny interchangeable lens camera like the Q. What you want is a superzoom bridge camera like the X-5.
Before I bought my Q7, I considered the Canon SX-50, which is one of the most popular bridge/superzoom cameras. The problem was that I have seven different roles that my cameras need to fill, and I try to do it with just two cameras of limited cost. The SX-50 could fill a limited number of roles, and I couldn't come up with a single camera that could fill all the other roles. By changing lenses, the Q7 can meet several of the roles, and the remaining list is easily filled by a K-50, or similar camera.

For example,

when I put on the 75mm-300mm lens, it fills the Birds&Butterflys role

when I put on the 01 lens, it fills the pocket-able role.

Before I got the Q7, I was using a Canon Elph for the pocket-able role, and a Canon Rebel for most of the other roles, and affordable (for me) lenses did a lousy job with the B&B role. Both cameras were aging, but I was committed to buying at most two replacements for the two cameras. If I had replaced the Elph with a new Elph and the Rebel with a new Rebel, I would have had new technology, but no improvement in meeting all roles. If I had replaced the Elph with a SX-50 and a new Rebel, I would have nothing for the pocket-able role. If I had replaced the Elph with a new Elph and replaced the Rebel with an SX-50, I would have had no camera with a larger sensor for those times when I want more Image Quality.
01-17-2015, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sandy not at all........that's why we want "interchangeable"- that's the whole point!
I have just about all the Pentax Q lenses- but I also like to "play" with the adapted lenses and have had reasonably good luck with longer lenses and reach because of the small sensor's crop factor........walking around a park with a 18-270mm zoom is like having a 82mm to 1242mm lens- what more could anyone ask for in a 1 lens solution!

PearSaab, I'd be much obliged if you could take some shots when you have the time~ cheers and have a good one everyone!

steve I did a quick and dirty...shot at 18mm with qk adapter at setting 0.5,1,1.5,2 and then same picture at 250 mm with same setting...2 second delay...one of the things I didn't like about using this lens is I couldn't put the foot on the lens...it is very light but prefer my stability on the lens then the qk adapter....let me know if you are looking for something different...I am used to shooting with a 500mm or 300mm so I get really close to the subject..i included a picture of one ...cheers
amy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pearsaab/sets/72157650329676411

250mm setting 1.5

18mm setting 1.5

here's a hawk with the 500mm

01-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the Hawk shot Amy.
Stephen when I tried the da18-135 on my Q it killed my desire to use an all in one due to the horrible manual focus and so-so IQ.
After seeing Amy's shots I may revisit with my 18-250.
If the focus throw is short though it makes it hard to work with.
01-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Love the Hawk shot Amy.
Stephen when I tried the da18-135 on my Q it killed my desire to use an all in one due to the horrible manual focus and so-so IQ.
After seeing Amy's shots I may revisit with my 18-250.
If the focus throw is short though it makes it hard to work with.

larry I found it really difficult to focus for the far away shots..need something close so I can get that tweak in
01-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #15

Original Poster
Wow- impressive- excellent range........thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me (and others who may be pondering similarly)........the hawk shot is great!