Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
My apologies- wasn't sure if you were male or female- just thought it'd be cool if we had a female shooter so into the Q- but it's cool...nice shot-LOL!
Amy does some killer work with the Q and her Sigma 500 4.5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/284585-extreme-telephoto-tips.html#post3102756

01-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well there's one! (Hahaha- thanks)
03-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

New Q7

I have just received my Q7, I have taken a few test photos with it and now my question is, Do I need to install the Silkypix CD that came with the camera (S-SW133) or will it work with the Silkypics CD that I have already installed that came with the K3? Will it work with just lightroom 5? Read the info from the forums on the 06 telephoto...lol...click. This is going to be a fun camera, have some adapters on the way.

---------- Post added 03-03-15 at 10:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I have just received my Q7, I have taken a few test photos with it and now my question is, Do I need to install the Silkypix CD that came with the camera (S-SW133) or will it work with the Silkypics CD that I have already installed that came with the K3? Will it work with just lightroom 5? Read the info from the forums on the 06 telephoto...lol...click. This is going to be a fun camera, have some adapters on the way.
Well seems like I answered part of my question myself, just stuck the SD card in the PC and it came up with Lightroom 5. Edited one pic, seems to work.
03-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As you found out the files can be edited using same tools as your other Pentax.

03-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
As you found out the files can be edited using same tools as your other Pentax.
Yeah, that makes it easy. Any suggestions for tripod foot that can be used on my Da 55-300 mm ED WR? Have the Pentax Q to K mount on the way and a Novoflex for M42 mount too. I also have a Tou Five Star MC Auto Macro Zoom, is this for a Canon? the rear cap on it says Canon, has a bayonet type mount. Is that worth buying an adapter and trying out on the Q?
03-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yeah, that makes it easy. Any suggestions for tripod foot that can be used on my Da 55-300 mm ED WR? Have the Pentax Q to K mount on the way and a Novoflex for M42 mount too. I also have a Tou Five Star MC Auto Macro Zoom, is this for a Canon? the rear cap on it says Canon, has a bayonet type mount. Is that worth buying an adapter and trying out on the Q?
The 5 star is an ok zoom. It's fun to test out new lenses maybe once you try your Pentax lenses you can decide if you want to get the adapter for it.
Best to post the mount pic in the lens forum to see so if someone can ID it for you.

For the tripod mount on the 55-300 you will probably have to get an aftermarket ring mount if there is room.
This may be another one to post in the lens forum where you may get more advice.
03-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

The 5 star is an ok zoom. It's fun to test out new lenses maybe once you try your Pentax lenses you can decide if you want to get the adapter for it.
Best to post the mount pic in the lens forum to see so if someone can ID it for you.

For the tripod mount on the 55-300 you will probably have to get an aftermarket ring mount if there is room.
This may be another one to post in the lens forum where you may get more advice.
Thanks for the reply, I already acquired the Pentax Adapter for Q to K. Will PK mounts work on that also?
03-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply, I already acquired the Pentax Adapter for Q to K. Will PK mounts work on that also?
Oh yes. If the 5 Star is a PK it will work. Anything that mounts on your other Pentax will work via the adapter.

03-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Oh yes. If the 5 Star is a PK it will work. Anything that mounts on your other Pentax will work via the adapter.
The PK mount lens is a Beston MC Macro Zoom 1:4.5, f=80-205
03-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Pk and unidentified brand vintage lens for Q7

This is the Tou /Five star MC Auto Macro Zoom 1:4.5 75-205mm .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:46 PM.
03-05-2015, 02:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter

A better front view of that Tou five star lens

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:46 PM.
03-05-2015, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Q 03 FE lens

IMO this is a deceptively complex lens to use. Some focusing insights:

- The first two and last two focus index tic marks produce progressively worse focus results*. I suspect this is an intentional accommodation that allows for much less expensive manufacturing costs by allowing more overshoot in the focusing sleeves to calibrate the lens. I don't personally criticize this since trying to focus any fish eye lens on this low resolution LCD screen would not benefit from a more precise (and expensive) design.

- I consider the first and last two tics a feature -- like the acclaimed DSLR AF adjustment mode that allows for calibrating individual lenses to the body if needed.

- *The Near <__ __> Far label with the focus ring indicates the direction to twist the lens, not the resulting focus result. Misunderstanding that, combined with the confusion of seeing decreasing sharpness using the last two tics while expecting great DOF from a UWA lens was initially very puzzling.

- I shot a deliberate series of near, medium and distant scenes to custom calibrate the lens. I arbitrarily assigned numbers 1 - 9 to the focus index tics marks. Based on those results, MY optimum tics are 3 and 7 for distant and near scenes with medium distance variable from 4-6.

- Taping the focus ring, using a rubber band or a focus detente clip such as described elsewhere in this forum is a big help in handling this tiny lens.

- As for sharpness, I've found it similar to the APS-C class 10-24mm UWA lenses when they're shot from wide open to F/4; that's more than satisfactory for my intended use of this fun lens with the Q bodies.

At the end of the day, this lens is a 'grin-getter' when reviewing the days catch -- now that I've learned to focus it. I hope these comments allow others that have had disappointing results with the sharpness of the 03 lens to reconsider its use.
03-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

This is the Tou /Five star MC Auto Macro Zoom 1:4.5 75-205mm .
You will get an ID in the lens forums for sure so post there is you haven't already. I don't know what that mount is.
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great post pacerr. The FE is tough to focus. I use the 4X screen mag to make it work. The 3D printed focus lock also helps a lot.
thanks
barondla

I am going to try to adapt the FE to take filters. Big filters.
03-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I am going to try to adapt the FE to take filters.
Good luck. Every combination of rings I've tried vignettes -- a lot. I'm a believer in hoods but this lens has great "peripheral vision". Reminds me of a fish eye lens.