Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Some of the nicest shots I've seen come from a Q...........these were all Q correct- not the Fuji?

01-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for presenting New Zealand so well. Looks like you had awesome weather.
I find the comments on the burnt out whites interesting and I presume they mean the snow mainly. I took my Q original tramping in the Aspiring National Park (NZ), saved in raw and found I could not recover the whites. I wish I had taken the K30.
I was new to the Q and now with experience I would under expose by 2/3 of a stop. But I thought the QS-1 would have a better dynamic range.
01-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Straightened like this - with apologies to the OP. Quickly done (<20s) in my office computers Microsoft viewer.
Haha, no worries. I understand the tilted horizons can be quite alarming. To be honest It's an old habit I am trying to break but in some cases it is done purposely like the image above. I did notice though seeing some of these images in this thread on my phone some of the others that are slightly titled where they should have been straight. A bit harder to see when looking at the full resolution images on a large monitor then shrunk down where the image as the whole can be looked at. I've made some adjustments locally but probably won't be updating the original postings unless someone begs me too. You're welcome to un-tilt them as Docrwm did.

---------- Post added 01-19-15 at 05:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
Thanks for reminding me of the beautiful country i live in. I don't mind the tilted horizons. Let me guess the locations, the yellow sand beach is in Marlborough somewhere? Central Otago for your hiking shots, glacier shots are of Fox Glacier?
So close on one of them.

First tilted Beach shot is from Cathedral Cove in Hahei, North Island. Second is from Abel Tasman, South Island. Hiking shots, first large waterfall is from Tongorio? National Park in North Island. Rest are from the Routeburn track in Milford Sound, South Island. Glacier... Franz Joseph Glacier from a helicopter window, quite a bit of editing to remove reflection and glare.

---------- Post added 01-19-15 at 05:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Some of the nicest shots I've seen come from a Q...........these were all Q correct- not the Fuji?
Yes that is correct, Q-S1 which uses the same sensor and quality as basically the Q-7 which was a pretty cheap bargain this holiday season I heard. The camera is quite capable with the lenses it has, and some of these shots I would not have been able to get had it not been for the Q's small size, and ability to hold a wide range for focal lengths in two hands and switch them out quickly enough. For example, the glacier shot we were only allowed to carry a small sack that was full of ice climbing gear and were told to carry camera's around our neck. Most people had DSLR's of course and large zoom lens. I had a nice lightweight package =] Only wish there was a 350-400mm equivalent native lens for the Q series, I could have used it for animal shots. I have the Pentax K-Q adapter but my FA 100mm WR lens is too large to carry while traveling compact.

---------- Post added 01-19-15 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Thank you for presenting New Zealand so well. Looks like you had awesome weather.
I find the comments on the burnt out whites interesting and I presume they mean the snow mainly. I took my Q original tramping in the Aspiring National Park (NZ), saved in raw and found I could not recover the whites. I wish I had taken the K30.
I was new to the Q and now with experience I would under expose by 2/3 of a stop. But I thought the QS-1 would have a better dynamic range.
Your welcome, it's quite an amazing country and I had a great time there. Spent about 16+ days but was not enough to see everything. I did take some HDR shots with the Q which came out well and helped with the whites, but to be honest, the whites on the mountains are really really white on a bight clear sunny day like mine was. There wouldn't have been much to recover and I don't mind the photos as they are. If I really wanted to I can digitally paint back in some darker grays but I don't see the need. I'm happy with them as they are for now.

The Q's HDR mode is very good by the way, one of the better implementations and better than my K-3 / K-30.

Last edited by knightzerox; 01-19-2015 at 05:21 PM.
01-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
With the Q, I ALWAYS underexpose if there's direct sunlight on any subject I'm shooting- it has a hard time with harsh lighting.....the Q does remarkably well in less than direct light!

01-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Horizons are hard for me to figure out when I am in mountains ... or when I'm looking at pictures of mountains ... you're eyes must be better calibrated than mine are.
Maybe I'm just level-headed

But seriously, I was referring to the images where the horizons are flat (oceans) which anyone should be able to notice when composing. The mountain shots don't have a flat horizon, so clearly I and others aren't referring to those when 'tilted horizons' was noted.
01-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #21
owl
Forum Member

Awesome pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The mountain shots don't have a flat horizon, so clearly I and others aren't referring to those when 'tilted horizons' was noted.
I guess I always assume that the snow line is more or less horizontal but have never verified that assumption. I see the mountain shots as tilted but they are awesome shots nonetheless.
01-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #22

Hello Knightzerox,

I'm really impressed with this wide-angle 08!
Your photos are really beautiful
I'm a bit in the same situation as you, I have a Fuji X100s and Pentax Q with 01,02,03,06 lenses but I do not have 08 wide zoom because very expensive ...

You are well placed to be able to advise me, I'm leaving on a trip to Iceland or Ireland in March ... Traveling companions I expected to take are x100s fuji and of course the Pentax Q. For landscapes I do not know if I should take the 08 wide zoom knowing that I have the original pentax Q (the wide zoom 08 is a 21-33 equivalent on the original pentax Q and 17-27 on Q7 and Q-S1 ... I hesitate to take instead the olympus MFT 9-18 I would stick on an old G3 panasonic ...
Do you think the quality of pentax q wide zoom is good enough to consider buying the Pentax zoom 08 in my case?
Note that I also have the wcl-x100 to x100 ...

Also, I was disappointed by the evolution of Pentax Q series face knowing that Sony releases compact high quality like the RX100 m3 with integrated EVF ... I was almost hesitating to leave my Pentax Q at home and buy a RX100 especially for the video for my future trips ... Your photos make me hesitate even if it is possible that a RX100 come with me in my future travels (especially for the video

Finally, one last question, if you had taken only one camera between x100t fuji and Pentax Q, which would you have taken for your trip to new zealand? Personally, before I was in love with my Pentax Q and now I should be less because I'm in love with my x100s fuji

Thank you for your good advice and sorry for my english !!
01-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bobby64 Quote
Hello Knightzerox,

I'm really impressed with this wide-angle 08!
Your photos are really beautiful
I'm a bit in the same situation as you, I have a Fuji X100s and Pentax Q with 01,02,03,06 lenses but I do not have 08 wide zoom because very expensive ...

You are well placed to be able to advise me, I'm leaving on a trip to Iceland or Ireland in March ... Traveling companions I expected to take are x100s fuji and of course the Pentax Q. For landscapes I do not know if I should take the 08 wide zoom knowing that I have the original pentax Q (the wide zoom 08 is a 21-33 equivalent on the original pentax Q and 17-27 on Q7 and Q-S1 ... I hesitate to take instead the olympus MFT 9-18 I would stick on an old G3 panasonic ...
Do you think the quality of pentax q wide zoom is good enough to consider buying the Pentax zoom 08 in my case?
Note that I also have the wcl-x100 to x100 ...

Also, I was disappointed by the evolution of Pentax Q series face knowing that Sony releases compact high quality like the RX100 m3 with integrated EVF ... I was almost hesitating to leave my Pentax Q at home and buy a RX100 especially for the video for my future trips ... Your photos make me hesitate even if it is possible that a RX100 come with me in my future travels (especially for the video

Finally, one last question, if you had taken only one camera between x100t fuji and Pentax Q, which would you have taken for your trip to new zealand? Personally, before I was in love with my Pentax Q and now I should be less because I'm in love with my x100s fuji

Thank you for your good advice and sorry for my english !!

Thank you for the comments on the photos.

To answer your question, the 08 wide zoom lens is excellent, and produces very sharp and high quality images, as good as the 01 prime for the Q or better. It is a really great lens. I also did not want to buy the lens because of the cost and that the 02 lens can go very wide as well. But, the 08 is very useful, has very good image quality, and is a great lens for travel or landscape use.

I think the original Q's image quality is probably not as good as your G3, but I am not as familiar with that camera. The Q-7/ Q-S1 IQ is much improved over the original Q and what I found acceptable to take instead of my K-3 for traveling. The fuji x100 series will give you the IQ if you need it, but you lose flexibility in focal lengths.

Since you have a 9mm in MFT which gives a 18mm 35mm equivalent, matching the 08, I would most likely take the G3 and the x100S. If I had a q7 or above then I would buy the 08 to make a more compact and easy to use kit. As you can see from my images, with some good post processing work the images can really shine. If post processing is not something you can do easily or want to do, then the MFT may still be the better choice if it provides images you prefer and less noise. The other question, to make this harder, is do you plan to stay with the Q cameras? $400-500 is a lot to spend on 1 lens for a camera you don't use. I believe the Q will keep getting better, because sensors will get better and cheaper so everything will keep improving to where IQ will be less of a concern.

My recommendation is to do this. Take some shots with your MFT at the equivalent focal length of your 02 lens at it's widest setting. Then compare both images from the cameras and see which you like best. Make sure to try low light, sunny days, and higher dynamic range shots. If you like the G3 better, save your money and wait for this year's Q update and use it to buy that which will most likely have a new and better sensor. If you like the Q images better, buy a new or used Q7 instead of the lens and use your 02. It's a 20% difference, but I think you will be happier with an IQ upgrade then a lens upgrade. With going to the Q7 you get both, better IQ and wider focal length. Then save your money for holiday pricing on an 08 lens.

If I could only have taken one camera, I would have taken the Q-S1 over the x100T knowing what I know now. I used it the entire time almost and it gave me the most flexibility. It's a great travel or compact camera kit.

01-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #24

Thank you Knightzerox! I have one month to choose and maybe I will discover some good deals on pentax Q series
01-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
Forum Member

I like 3, 6 and 7 very much. Some of the lot seem to show more DR and contrast than I thought the Q system could muster.
I don't get the horizons thing. Why should they be horizontal?
01-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Antonio, some of us prefer to be only tilted when we have imbibed a bit too much Liquor Board Buttermilk. We don't notice it then.

Seriously, there is a legitimate effect of tilted horizons that can be effective. If it is just tilted, and not for effect, some of us find it annoying. The first in the series looks much better as adjusted for the horizon - when there is a sea scape one expects the water to be flat. Particularly those of us whose parents were commercial fishermen. If the horizon is not level, we were in big trouble.
01-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #27
Forum Member

I hope I'm not being rude if I say I like the original version better than the more level one. Maybe most folks prefer the latter, but for me it is less interesting. If I would analyze it, there's a billion photos of a lone outcrop on a beach. The original photo looks to me to be about movement, angles, and interplay between the outcrop, clouds and wave. The corrected one seems to be about an oversized outcrop obstructing the view. I'm not being difficult, it's just how it feels to me.

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 12:36 PM ----------

Otoh I can see it is a very distracting thing for many folks. My girlfriend once took a great photo yet keeps harping on how it would be perfect if it were more level (something which isn't at all difficult to do, even if it were a print you'd only have to crop it a little). Yet I find it works much better the way it is.

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 12:41 PM ----------

In sum, if people remark on something because it does impact their experience, it's ok, tho even so it does not mean their concern is universal (or matters, even). What I have trouble understanding is when folks make remarks about things because, on a post-experience, rationalizing level, they are not as they find proper things should be. I'm of course not saying that's the case here, but I always get that impression when, instead of saying 'I'd like it better if XYZ' they say things like 'it isn't XYZ'. But this may be just my own quirk.

Last edited by Antonio Marques; 01-23-2015 at 05:36 AM.
01-31-2015, 09:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Fantastic series of images!
Makes me want to go to NZ...hang on, I live there