Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Heinrich, will call them tomorrow.

On a side note, I saw a listing on eBay for a used one where the fellow stated the lens was too old for Sigma to repair thus he was selling for parts.....does that sound correct- a lens too old for Sigma to repair?
I don't really know Steve, most manufactures have a cut of date as for long the will keep parts and service a product. Pentax publishes a list once in a while of what equipment they will no longer service.

01-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that due to the reverse engineering of the AF specs, certain Sigmas in Canon EF an dMaxxum/Alpha mount had to be rechipped to work on newer cameras, and that Sigma would only make a limited number of chips per model. Once they were gone, you were out of luck if you needed one.
01-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #33

Original Poster
Called Sigma this AM and they said to ship the lens to them- the lady I spoke with really didn't want to discuss any details other than stating to ship them the lens for evaluation- so I sent it USPS Priority Mail.......I'm hoping it's a simple fix as the lens works perfectly in AF mode- it's just MF that concerns me and the slight wobble- other than that the lens if fine..........I really am excited about testing this with the Q7 and Panasonic GM1...............test coming soon!
Thanks for the replies guys- all much appreciated.
02-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #34

Original Poster
Very impressed with Sigma. I sent the 50-500 to be repaired and when I emailed them to inquire as to the status and cost, they informed me the lens was repaired free of charge as a 'courtesy' and has been shipped back to me......now that's what I call service and support!
The lens I sent them was fairly old although it appears new and was surely out of warranty.....I will surely purchase Sigma lenses again knowing they support their product so well.
Impressed----

02-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Very impressed with Sigma. I sent the 50-500 to be repaired and when I emailed them to inquire as to the status and cost, they informed me the lens was repaired free of charge as a 'courtesy' and has been shipped back to me......now that's what I call service and support!
The lens I sent them was fairly old although it appears new and was surely out of warranty.....I will surely purchase Sigma lenses again knowing they support their product so well.
Impressed----
Good to hear. Look forward to your pics.
02-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Awesome news! Enjoy the lens.

Impressed----
02-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #37

Original Poster
Absolutely stunning~~~

Sigma returned the lens with a detailed work invoice stating they replaced the entire rear lens assembly- the lens is now better than ever and is razor sharp even at 500mm! This lens is outperforming my Sigma 170-500 which produced fairly nice images with the Pentax Q7- but this 50-500 is visibly much clearer and tack sharp.

Hats off to Sigma for repairing the lens free of charge as a customer courtesy- very good service.

I live in a condo and regularly shoot from my balcony to test settings etc.....I've shot this same setup with my 170/500 and it can't resolve the level of detail this 50/500 is currently capable of..........see this shot from about 200 feet away- (across 4 lane blvd.) the first image is at 50mm and the next 500mm- wide open! (I think this is amazing performance from an old version lens- obviously the new optics they've replaced are really helping here.)

Love this lens~ I suggest anyone not happy with their Sigma lenses send it in for a "tune-up" and see what happens- you may luck out with "courtesy" service and a recalibrated "better than new" lens!

I can't wait to test it out with wildlife!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Looks good!

02-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Impressive service and performance.
thanks for sharing.
barondla
02-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #40

Thx for these new tests.

This focal range is very useful but not so impressive for me, considering sharpness is my first expectation. I prefer to keep my opinion until a 100% crop around the spring or the small letters, if you can do it.

The size (1036x777) may be delusive.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 04:01 PM ----------

My favorite target for testing is this picture, printed with a black& white laser printer at three line pairs per mm (the tightest lines), and placed at 6.5m from the lens.

It's easier to control all the conditions, particularly the turbulence.

Last edited by bernall; 02-07-2015 at 08:12 AM.
02-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #41

Original Poster
I have no reason to persuade anyone to purchase this lens or any other- I merely offer up my impressions for others to consider.......to me, that's the whole point of internet forums....the passing along of learned information.
Have fun shooting- I will be testing this Bigma in a short while with some nature shots..............~~~~keep clicking everyone!
02-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #42

I also have this point of view and I have nothing to sell. I also try to share my experience, anything else.

Sorry if I disturbed this thread.

02-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #43

Original Poster
No disturbance at all~ always feel free to contribute.
02-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bernall Quote
I also have this point of view and I have nothing to sell. I also try to share my experience, anything else.

Sorry if I disturbed this thread.
Disturb??

No way!

We need to hear various viewpoints!
Thank you for your contribution!
Please do continue!
02-08-2015, 03:31 AM   #45

I will continue with pleasure

But remember, I ask to see, as St. Thomas

edit :
Nobody to correct my so poor frenglish ? You are very tolerant

Last edited by bernall; 02-09-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Nobody to correct my so poor frenglish ? You are very tolerant :)