Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone using Lightroom 2.0

I’ve searched some of the topics and cannot find an answer to this. Is there anyone who is using Lightroom for working with RAW images from a Q series camera. Not Photoshop but Lightroom. I am experimenting with the .DGN files from my Q7 but I would assume .DGN files from any of the Q series would be about the same. I am working with Lightroom 2.0 on an old puter and am wondering if there are some adjustments/settings that common to the Q series .DNG files.

01-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used Q RAW files in Lightroom 5, not sure I can help with LR 2.0 They work fine in LR 5
01-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you but the issue is not that the .DNG files do not work but what adjustments such as contrast, luminosity, color saturation, sharpening or whatever do you find that most images require. We are restricted to Lightroom 2 because that is all that will work efficiently on the XP machine we will be using.
01-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Thank you but the issue is not that the .DNG files do not work but what adjustments such as contrast, luminosity, color saturation, sharpening or whatever do you find that most images require. We are restricted to Lightroom 2 because that is all that will work efficiently on the XP machine we will be using.
I'm not sure why work flow would differ between versions of Lightroom, or even between Lightroom and PhotoShop. Someone like Heinrich Lohmann, who uses PhotoShop, could easily be our best source of post processing wisdom.

01-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
what adjustments such as contrast, luminosity, color saturation, sharpening or whatever do you find that most images require.
I use:
Contrast +5
Highlights -10
Clarity +20
Vibrance +20
Saturation -5
Sharpening +25
Sharpening mask @ 65%
Tone Curve @ medium contrast

But that is with LR 5, so it will not be the same but might give you a place to start.

Curious what the restriction is with LR 2 and XP, do later versions of LR only work on later operating systems? I started with LR 3 something on Win 7 so I've no experience with this.
01-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious what the restriction is with LR 2 and XP, do later versions of LR only work on later operating systems? I started with LR 3 something on Win 7 so I've no experience with this.
Requirements for all versions listed ► System requirements | Lightroom
01-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Have you considered getting a copy of Scott Kelby's approach to using LR2? You can find one used on Amazon for $0.01, or new for $0.50 + shipping.... (either way for less than $5.00, delivered).

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers

I used a copy during the 'olden days' when I started out with LR and found it helpful.

Cheers... M
Thanks for the info. I will look into that manual. We have been using "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers Only" by Rob Sheppard and while it is a great book and has been extremely helpful, it does not give us ideas on specific settings that may be used for the Q series. That is why I thought someone on this forum may have established some baseline settings germain to all the Q series cameras. Thanks to JATRAX I now have one set we will experiment with.

On my personal machine I have Lightroom 5 and I am using "Photoshop Lightroom 5" by Rob Sylvan and Nat Coalson for working through that version. Actually because of the project we have going,
and our commitments, I have been concentrating on the Lightroom 2 because that is what we have been given to use for this project.