Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I can see the merit of continuing to shoot with the Q7 even though someone might have the GM1 (or similar.)

For me it's a matter of reach, the Q7's crop factor means more reach than any other ILC type camera......with the GM1 you simply 2X the focal length but with the Q7 it's 4.6X........so for shots within reach of a 2X multiplier- I'll use the GM1 due to it's higher image quality- but the Q7 isn;t too far behind.......

Compare these 2 shots: same lens, different day- same general location......not an ideal comparison but gives some indication~

Attached Images

01-30-2015, 02:32 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
I can see the merit of continuing to shoot with the Q7 even though someone might have the GM1 (or similar.)

For me it's a matter of reach, the Q7's crop factor means more reach than any other ILC type camera......with the GM1 you simply 2X the focal length but with the Q7 it's 4.6X........so for shots within reach of a 2X multiplier- I'll use the GM1 due to it's higher image quality- but the Q7 isn;t too far behind.......

Compare these 2 shots: same lens, different day- same general location......not an ideal comparison but gives some indication~
I agree the Q's crop factor and good image quality is a fantastic advantage over other system cameras for those that need extreme telephoto.
But not too sure how many Q owners use this feature, and Pentax has not helped as they never seemed too bothered to highlight this fantastic ability.
If they had released a native super telephoto lens, it may have opened peoples eyes to the possibility.

Myself I am not into this type of extreme telephoto shooting, and to be honest if I was I would have probably invested into the Nikon 1 system as their adaptor gives autofocus for Nikon glass and still has a healthy 2.7 crop factor. Although I completely understand why people would prefer to use the Q for this type of photography
01-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
I agree the Q's crop factor and good image quality is a fantastic advantage over other system cameras for those that need extreme telephoto.
But not too sure how many Q owners use this feature, and Pentax has not helped as they never seemed too bothered to highlight this fantastic ability.
If they had released a native super telephoto lens, it may have opened peoples eyes to the possibility.

Myself I am not into this type of extreme telephoto shooting, and to be honest if I was I would have probably invested into the Nikon 1 system as their adaptor gives autofocus for Nikon glass and still has a healthy 2.7 crop factor. Although I completely understand why people would prefer to use the Q for this type of photography
When I first started looking at MILC, I wrote-off the Q-family because of the small sensors. At another photo discussion board, however, I kept seeing good birding pictures taken with a Canon SX-50, which has a sensor even smaller than the sensor on the Q7, so I revisited my evaluation of the Q7. Eventually I did get a Q7, specifically because of the extreme telephoto advantages (my wife is a bird watcher). I think it would be wonderful if Pentax would release a native 100mm-300mm lens, but the pictures I have gotten with an adapted 70mm-300mm K-mount lens (and an inexpensive adapter) are already better than anything I have taken with my Canon Rebel and the lenses I could afford for it (we have only so much loose money for hobbies).
02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A different POV

The comparative IQ of the Q and the Q7, versus the ??? is not the primary issue for me; its value is in the convenience and economy.

Convenience: About half a century ago I was doin' things that essentially made the size and weight of my Spotmatic or Mamiya MF kits totally impractical to carry with me. Realizing there were . . . umm, "moments" I'd like to capture I adopted the Olympus Pen-F half-frame 35mm system and color slide film as a practical travel kit. The IQ wasn't up to FF snuff, but there were images captured then, and digitally scanned now, that wouldn't have been possible any other way at that time.

I see the Q SYSTEM in the same light today. I was reluctant to 'reach down' to the smaller sensors but having done so I'm carrying a compact Q-based photo system that I wouldn't otherwise have with me on a great many occasions.

Economy: Other than that brief two-year affair with Oly, sweet as it was, I've used Pentax gear exclusively for a looong time and subsequently acquired way too much glass and custom accessories to ignore for an arbitrary, fractional, potential improvement in IQ. Not to mention the time and effort of learning another set of habits with some other brand of gear.

No doubt there's a small-sensor, interchangeable lens SYSTEM that's marginally better than the Q7 kit I've adopted for a specific purpose. But I don't see how it would make a noticeable difference in the resulting satisfaction with the results I may get with what I've got. I can access everything from 1:1 macro to fisheye/ UWA to 300+ telephoto with a kit I'm familiar with, which fits in a bag not much larger than a K10+most DA* zooms, and weighs a whole lot less.

Plus, I'm "seeing" things differently with the Q's. I'm "taking" more pictures when and where they occur rather than intentionally "making" images with the APS-C gear. It's FUN again - not being so deliberate with the camera.

Works for ME!

09-12-2015, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #20

A bit of a resurrection, but I gotta add my 2!
After returning for a Hawaii trip last year where I almost ignored my "giant" Nikon DSLR on our adventures in favor of my iPhone and my daughters' Point & Shoot (ack!), I knew I had to find a tiny, capable camera. I ordered both a Q7 and (with cc points) a GM-1. They arrived within a couple of days of each other. I tried to like the GM-1, but the Q system had the "it" factor for me. Sold the GM-1 within a month, and bought the 01 and a bunch of other Q stuff. Never been happier.

I do have the distinct advantage over most of you in that I carry a purse (so pocketable for me = purse-able) The Q (usually with the 06) is my "purse camera" and always with me. LOVE IT! In fact, I have re-commissioned another small purse as my Q camera bag with lenses, batteries, 2nd body, etc that I throw in the car if I foresee a shooting session.

The Q is just a blast to use and I'm usually surprised by the IQ... feel like I've rediscovered the joy of experimenting with photography again. Nikon hardly used except for paid work lately![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 12:06 AM ----------

Last edited by Cjsk8mom; 09-13-2015 at 12:09 AM.
09-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tried a GM-1 alongside the Q7 about a year ago and due to the wheel around the four way selector that they used for making adjustments to features the GM-1 was a pain to use. In his comparison between the Q7 and the GM-1, Blunty noted several issues he had encountered with the GM-1. However, many of those issues have been resolved on the GM-5 which along with a Panasonic 15mm f1.7 lens I have added to my camera tool box. The Panasonic 15mm 1.7 has an aperture ring on the lens which allows me to shoot old school style. Those who came up using SLRs in manual mode will know what I mean. Discussions of this on various boards have indicated that there are a lot of shooters longing for lens mounted aperture rings because, as I have noted on those forums, this offers a better division of responsibilities between the right and left hands when shooting. Others have noted that they appreciate being able to verify settings such as aperture and shutter speed without having to look at a screen so having such settings available without having to resort to menus is growing in popularity such as the Olympus series of OMD cameras and the Fuji T-1 and now the T-10. By the way, the T-10 is the camera I thought Pentax should have developed as they could have used their existing selection of lenses.

Lack of an EVF seems to have been a major complaint about the Q series so those shooters might like the EVF on the GM-5. I seldom have an issue with using the LCD on the Q7 for framing a photo even in our harsh outdoor Arizona lighting so its no big thing but the aperture ring was. Of course the GM-5 and 15mm Panny lens costs about three to four times what you can get a Q7 for so.. The IQ of the GM-5 is better and of course there are substantially more native lenses for this format however the Q7 provides better depth of field which I require for shooting model railroads as demonstrated on my CWRailman WEB site. This was my main reason for experimenting with the Q series. Nothing has changed there and for such shoots my Q7s are still my camera of choice as demonstrated in this SMRHS Gallery.