Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Well, the hotshoe works with the 01 lens perfectly fine. Its not fried or disconnected. I can trigger the flashes without a problem.

But it doesn't work with the 07 lens (which is why its in the title)
Ah, well, you didn't say that it worked with other lenses, so I had no way of knowing that. I don't own that lens nor the Q7 so I'll cease trying to assist.

01-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So other than flash the Q7 / 07 combo works - you can take pictures with it etc.

I was going to ask if focus confirmation was needed to make the flash fire - this fixed focus lens might not provide that and they may have forgotten to skip it when using flash? I'm stretching for ideas here.
01-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
So other than flash the Q7 / 07 combo works - you can take pictures with it etc.

I was going to ask if focus confirmation was needed to make the flash fire - this fixed focus lens might not provide that and they may have forgotten to skip it when using flash? I'm stretching for ideas here.
I'm using the Q-S1, but yes, other than the hotshoe, the combo seems to work fine.
01-23-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Do you have the Flash set to "off" in the menu and flash speed slow enough (slower than flash-sync speed)?
Duh, didn't occur to me to set the flash to 'off'.
Works up to 1/250th now.
Thanks Dave

01-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I did an experiment just now with my Q7. I took two pictures consecutively, with the same flash and camera settings, one with an 01 lens and one with an 8.5mm lens in a c-mount adapter.
The picture with the 01 lens set off the flash.
The picture with the adapted lens did not set off the flash.
The manual specifies that a shutter speed of 1/13 or less must be used with a lens other than a 01, 02, or 06 lens, so I had used a speed of 1/4.
01-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I did an experiment just now with my Q7. I took two pictures consecutively, with the same flash and camera settings, one with an 01 lens and one with an 8.5mm lens in a c-mount adapter.
The manual specifies that a shutter speed of 1/13 or less must be used with a lens other than a 01, 02, or 06 lens, so I had used a speed of 1/4.
Interesting. I don't see any reason why the hotshoe should not fire in that case either.
01-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Interesting. I don't see any reason why the hotshoe should not fire in that case either.
I began my career as a software engineer when IBM still dominated. One of the "jokes" of the time was the statement " in an IBM manual, the term 'special feature' means 'documented bug' ".

I would apply the term 'special feature' here, but I haven't found it documented anywhere in the Q7 manual. Fortunately for me, I can't think of any reason I would have for using that combination. But, I would still like an explanation for what I'm seeing, if anyone here can come up with it.

02-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #23

Anyone try to use external flash (yongnuo yn460 / viltrox jy610 or other cheap stuff) works with pentax Q10 by slave them? What should i do with my camera settings?
02-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is your firmware up to date?
02-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I have found with the Q7:

The only flash that will fire with a non leaf shutter or generically adapted lens is a Pentax flash (and possibly another brand flash that supports PTTL)
Flash setting must be ON for this to occur. Shutter speed is maxed at 1/13 sec

Flashes or triggers that only use the center contact and sides will only fire if a leaf shutter lens or the OEM adapter is installed.
The flash setting must be OFF for this to occur. Shutter speeds up to 1/250 will work.

I have not been able to get single contact triggers or flashes to work with a non leaf shutter lens or adapter in any configuration.
02-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They only call out Pentax flashes in the manual for external use.
Seems this is how it was designed but I can't see a reason why they have done so other than to get you to buy only Pentax flashes.
Attached Images