Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Comparing the 01 Prime on Q and Q7 and the 02 lens at F:3.5

When testing the different JPG-settings of my new Q7 I was surprised to see that the image corners don't really satisfy under closer inspection.
I then did some more tests and used the resulting images to confirm the problem. F 2.8 didn't offer acceptable corner resolution and contrast. On the Q7 it offered a great center image but this only just touches the long edges. The short edges are already quite unsharp and have low contrast. The center was much better on the Q7 that on the Q but further from the center the lens is clearly the limiting factor. This problem is much more visible because of the superior sharpness and clarity the Q7 offers over the Q. It doesn't seem to come from the maximized use of it's image circle by the Q7 because it also shows on the Q-images.
As a comparison the 02 lens showed just slightly less center performance than the 01 Prime but perfectly sharp edges.

As far as I remember the 01 uses 8 lenses, one of them made from special glass. 50mm FF-Primes usually use 6 lenses and are perfectly sharp to the corner at f:2.8.

My test object was a flat newspaper page and some other stuff about 1m from and parallel to the camera. Maybe the image plane is just curved and the problem is only visible when taking photos of flat objects. In practical use with my original Q I have not become aware of any issues with this lens.

What are your experiences with the 01 prime on the Q7?

01-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I had some insights to offer here but other than casually noticing some differences between the 01 and & 02 lenses on the Q and Q7, I haven't spent the time to really try to focus (no pun intended) on them. I am wondering if you applied the firmware updates to both the 01 and 02 lenses (these are different than the firmware updates to the cameras). It might make a difference if you hadn't.
01-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Altglas Quote
.... What are your experiences with the 01 prime on the Q7?

It seems obvious to me (at least) that your testing/processing procedures are flawed, plus your expectations might need some fine tuning. The Q-system is feral, requires discipline and has a learning curve like no other.

Cheers... M
01-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

These two lenses should be evaluated relative to their intended use rather than simply comparing images that may or may not be an ideal applications for their respective strengths. I can define application that make either one the preferable choice regardless of pure sharpness or other characteristics.

I'd suggest the same applies to comparisons with DSLR's with APS-C sensors vs. the Q's.

01-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Obvious differences between 01 and 02 lenses are maximum f-stop and size. Pacerr, have you found differences in the look of the images that you include when choosing between these lenses?
01-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
Michaelina2, could you give me a hint where the obvious to you flaws in my testing procedure are to be found?
01-26-2015, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Not especially, no. But then the different situations under which I use lenses such as these don't lend themself to definitive comparison. Photo-life became a lot simpler and more enjoyable when I stopped making comparisons between lenses in situations where practical application rather than pure IQ dictated the lens in hand at a given time.

I would say on a purely subjective basis that the 01 generally has more 'pop' -- i.e., contrast and saturation -- than the 02 in similar situations but that may also result from the type of scenes/circumstances in which I tend to use a given lens.

Dedicated PP can also even the playing field between two lenses to the point that functional application may be the primary reason, if not the sole reason, for mounting a specific lens.

If I don't 'like' a lens I don't keep it in play. If I do, I accept it for what it is -- warts an' all. If I'm going to be concerned about pure image quality I'd be much more inclined to consider the sensor or the functional capability of the 'system' rather than choosing between two lenses -- a K5iis rather than a Q as it were.

Besides, that sort of attitude lends itself to justifying way more glass than really necessary.
02-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Hi Altglas,
I have both lenses and all I can say is:
The prime is simply much sharper! Has better contrast/colours!
No Q-owner should miss this lens!
Even when the 02 doesn't want to AF immediately, the prime will....

Greetings from another Q+Q7-owner from Germany....

02-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Might it just be because the edges of the newspaper are further away than the centre, and so may be out of focus? Just guessing here...