Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

Pentax Q with Tamron 150-600mm lens

Hi,

Has anyone used Tamron 150-600mm lens on the Pentax Q body..

I am trying to chose between canon 100-400 IS II USM and Tamron 150-600mm for my Canon 70D body. But, am also getting a Pentax Q for the same lenses to get me that extra reach in zoom.

Wanted to check if anyone has had an experience of using Tamron 150-600 on the Pentax Q, as the Tamron lens is cheaper then the Canon 100-400 amd would also give me longer zoom.

Thanks in advance..

02-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm curious: Don't you consider the Canon your IQ lens, and the Tamron your value and reach lens? At least that's what it would come down to for me - which characteristics do I value higher?
02-08-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been starting to experiment with the Tamron on my Q. The wind and the weather have been terrible, windy enough to guarantee motion blur, so I haven't produced anything even slightly satisfactory to myself.

I also have the first version of the Canon 100-400mm L lens. My primary use for both of these lenses are sports and birds with a 5DMK3 and a 7D. I've seen some really nice shots taken with the new Canon 100-400mm. But the Tamron is a real bargain and the image quality can be very good if your technique is well practiced. For my needs, the Tamron is the preferred choice because of the wider focal range and 600mm. At f8 the Tamron may be just sharper, definitely more contrasty. I think Canon finished the manufacturing processes for the lens prior to the emergence of the new 600mm zooms from Tamron and Sigma, and thus missed the boat a bit here.

Without knowing the specific requirements you have for considering either lens, I'm not all that confident in any recommendations--but I would place a very low priority on the performance of the Q. You can only use it on static objects, and you need to have the camera body+lens to be super stable on a solid tripod. And then use LiveView and a remote shutter release. Focus peaking is the only saving grace here besides the insane effective reach. That means that you pretty much have to lug all that stuff somewhere and then more or less stay put. That kind of shooting style may be just fine with you, and if it is, go for either. But for me, I like to hike to where birds are in non-captive settings and then handhold so I can [try to] capture them while they are flying. And then I move on. A monopod is about the only support I use and it is only when necessary.

Hope this helps.

M
02-08-2015, 02:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You'll be heavily affected by diffraction.
Use only a f2.8 or F4 tele lens on the Q

02-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a long reach on a good price, and the best IQ, look for an APO refractor telescope like this:

Shop at OPT - Sky-Watcher Pro 80 ED APO Refractor Telescope - OPT Telescopes

Small number of elements, two in this case, three for more expensive telescopes, makes this kind of lenses, better than any camera lens, zoom or fix focal length, of any brand.
02-08-2015, 03:05 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
You'll be heavily affected by diffraction.
Use only a f2.8 or F4 tele lens on the Q
it's a bit more complicated ...

I use, as many others, this formula as a guideline (theoretically for one simple lens) :

f/D ~< 4.5

for color bayer sensor, where is the width (m) of one photosite. In the case of Q7 (1.85m), the smallest aperture to use to avoid diffraction is around 8. In fact, I use a 80mm diameter lens with a 480mm focal length and the results show no diffraction effect ...

The 05 toy lens 18mm/f8 seems to be consistent with this rule.

In fact, I ask to see some shots with the Tamy ...

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 11:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
If you want a long reach on a good price, and the best IQ, look for an APO refractor telescope like this:

Shop at OPT - Sky-Watcher Pro 80 ED APO Refractor Telescope - OPT Telescopes

Small number of elements, two in this case, three for more expensive telescopes, makes this kind of lenses, better than any camera lens, zoom or fix focal length, of any brand.
+1

as shown here .

Last edited by bernall; 02-08-2015 at 03:28 AM.