Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Q-S1 filter in raw

is there a way to extract in lightroom the embedded jpg ?
or do i really have to switch from raw to jpg ?... which the original Q did itself when used the effects on the front dail

02-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there are. You can export individual files as well as batch process them from raw to jpg in Lightroom.
02-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
Yes, there are. You can export individual files as well as batch process them from raw to jpg in Lightroom.
I don't think that is what OP is asking. OP is asking if the embedded preview jpeg, the in-camera jpeg, can be extracted from a raw file. Not shooting jpeg, Not shooting raw+. Not developing the raw photo to make it look like in-camera filters. Just taking the jpeg out of the raw.
And I don't know the answer. I don't think it is possible with LR, but maybe with some other software. Maybe ExifTool?
And if you shoot raw and use the Pentax utility, Silkypix or whatever, it should let you imitate pretty much all in-camera effects and filters
02-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

FASTSTONE Image viewer loads the embeded JPG 'first' by default. You can Ctrl-S save this.

02-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
is there a way to extract in lightroom the embedded jpg ?
or do i really have to switch from raw to jpg ?... which the original Q did itself when used the effects on the front dail
Shooting in RAW+ would be the way to go IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Never seen the point in RAW+ when I can easily extract the JPG using Faststone.
Before this, I used the free (and fast) InstantJPGfromRAW Instant JPEG from Raw
02-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shooting in RAW+ would be the way to go IMO.
Yup that's why I'm shooting raw+ - using lightroom, the special effect disappears on the raw file. Because both the jpg and raw exist in the same folder, lightroom only shows the raw file. I have to move the jpgs to a separate folder so I can keep the special effects... kind of annoying, but it works easily enough.
02-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
lightroom can show me the preview jpg until it loaded its own developed picture from the raw file ... but cannot extract it ?!

just brilliant engineering as usual