Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Of all the number of cameras sold, there will be a miniscule amount of folk not sticking to native lenses. This just pushes a niche camera even more niche.
I'd feel that when adding features to anything, I'd add the ones that most people would want, not something this is in a miniscule market.

J

---------- Post added 27-02-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

I'd agree, can't see how folks seem to think it will add a lot to the size.
J
Size inst the issue, both Sony and Panasonic have proved you can put an electronic viewfinder in tiny cameras, and probably all the camera manufacturers have managed to put tilting screens in tiny a small camera at some point.

The Q's are cheap and it may add a bit of extra cost, but these features are starting to be excepted as standard, and for good reason.

03-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
i want a weather resistant Q and a dive case por favor.

that is why i really do not feel in need for a flippy screen.
wr is essential. recently i had a talk with a samsung nx buyer and he said he isnt very happy with his decision.
Because when u go on vacation, what u would need, will be a splash and dust-proof ilc...
My view is that the strength of the Q-family is that it can be stretched into different niches depending on what you add to it (that is essentially how it differs from something like a bridge camera, which has limited extendability).

(1) the main benefit from a tilting screen may come in street photography, where looking down at your camera reduces the sense of your taking aim at your target. A Q starts off with an advantage because it doesn't look much like a serious camera, and so a tilting screen would build on that advantage

(2) Pentax has a lot of experience in making cameras weather-resistant, so I expect expanding that group to include the Q family would not require an enormous amount of engineering effort, and would extend its utility in each of the areas where the Q is already used.

(3) It has been six months since I last handled a Canon SX-50 bridge camera. Translating the lens specs from their usual "35mm equivalent" to actual values tells me that the actual focal length of the SX-50 lens is approximately 4.3mm-210mm, but when fully extended, that lens is not nearly as long as the 210mm lens I acquired for one of my 35mm cameras; thus I figure that a Q-mount 100mm-300mm, or even 150mm-450mm, lens would be much more compact than the adapted lenses that many of us are hanging a Q on (however, if I ran Pentax, I'd seriously doubt that sales of a lens like that would ever meet development costs).