Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Will Pentax to produce Q series with vari-angle LCD?

is there any rumors that Q-series going to have vari-angle LCD?

02-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I doubt that any further redesign work of that scale for the Q-system is pending. They have full-frame to design now, K-S2 to get into high volume production, and an articulated screen on Q would defeat its small form factor. I think they had Q in mind with that new flash, and I like that addition, but beyond the rumored Q tele-macro, I doubt much more forthcoming in the Q-line. That's just my opinion of course.
02-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

Yep seems like the Q S-1 will be their last Q for a while. Hopefully they haven't abandoned the Q system.
02-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
an articulated screen on Q would defeat its small form factor.
Personally, I think that giving the small form factor such a high priority is a mistake. For me, the true strength of the Q system is adapting lenses to such a small sensor format which makes for dramatically different image capture potential than any other ILC system. Sure, the IQ with Q lenses is surprisingly good, but it really doesn't compare favorably against larger format ILCs for normally used FOV applications and we already have a number of Q system bodies to choose from if small is the priority (every body up to the QS 1) Why not give the lens adapters a more useful body for their purposes? A good EVF, Larger battery, and articulating high res LCD screen, plus CIF in addition to an upgraded application of focus peaking would be welcomed by those who primarily use the Q to expand their photographic capabilities beyond what is available to them in the more conventional larger format bodies and existing lenses. If I want to shoot wide, normal, or up to ultra tele, I already have more conventional format cameras and lenses that can do these better than the Q. Sure they're larger, but they're also much better suited if IQ is the priority.

This Q system adapter oriented body would be larger, but still very small. Super tele users wouldn't care because the EVF would eliminate the need for the very large LCD loupes which are now almost universally used for this application. An articulating high res screen would benefit both super tele and super macro shooters, both for handheld and tripod mounted applications. A larger battery would be appreciated by all, and would be useful because the high res screen and EVF will require more power. If CIF could be adapted to contrast detection AF, then this would be a boon for all adapted lens users, IMO -- and I don't see it as very hard to adapt -- All they'd need to do is implement a focus priority shutter actuation to the focus confirmation indicator. I think that this would be a revolutionary feature for adapted lens use on a MILC.

I also think that they should upgrade the flash protocols to be fully as capable as those in the DSLR systems, Allow the OB flash to act as a master or controller, or at least allow us to use the new compact external to do this, and eliminate the obvious flash anomalies that all the Q bodies have had. If this requires more circuitry in the body, then without the "small" priority, they'd be free to do this.

All in all, dumping what seems to be the current Q design paradigm would be a benefit. With the Q system lenses, the Q system would still be far and away the smallest ILC system, and this body would be the first that truly showcases the unique virtues that adapting lenses to a very small format can offer. For those who want the smallest possible package, we already have the bodies to do this. This new body would be an addition to the system, and doesn't have to replace what already exists. I'd think that it would attract a larger following for the Q system as a whole.

Scott

02-12-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Yep seems like the Q S-1 will be their last Q for a while. Hopefully they haven't abandoned the Q system.
If we consider a 14-18 month release cycle then we should expect something sometime in late summer/early fall of 2016. That's perfect timing to get the forum members here kind of antsy for a new release.
02-13-2015, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hafriez Ab Quote
is there any rumors that Q-series going to have vari-angle LCD?
I hope not... The Q7/S1 form factor is perfect for my needs. If I wanted more, I'd gone off-brand to Olympus, Sony, Leica, or similar. Most of my mirrorless friends, once the Q-system's features are demonstrated and they see the output, wish their kit was more like the Q. Also, the new K-S2 is generating a huge amount of interest and just blowing them away. I tell them that there's no need to dance with an ugly partner. It's never too late to change.

Cheers... M
02-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope for a Q with an EVF that i can pop onto the flash-hotshoe. At least in one interview with the 2 "heads" they were asked about evf for the q system and they stated that they found that this is a very interesting idea that they want to go into.(Is that still english? i dunno. me no native speaking.)
But i didn't hear anything about an articulating lcd display.
But that would be cool also.... But much cooler would be a water resistant case, on which you can change the lens protection.
Or if we go that far, why not go a little further? What about a weather resistant Q? A new lens lineup the whole thing again with WR sealing...

slurp... that would hit my taste.

02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #8

A Q with articulated screen would be killer!
02-23-2015, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at what has been done with other MILCs, I'm guessing that a tilting LCD would be more likely, and even that might add an unacceptable amount to its depth.
02-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q - announced 7/2011
Q10 - 9/2012
Q7 - 6/2013
Q-S1 - 8/2014

So, based on the history. perhaps we will see a new Q this year. It seems the latest 1/1.7" sensor as used in the Nikon P7800 and Canon G16 is slightly better than the version used in the Pentax MX-1 and Q7, I'm not sure if its used in the Q-S1, but there doesn't seem to be any further development in compatible sensor tech. If a new Q rolls around this year, I'd expect a higher-res LCD - 460k is kinda pathetic, actually, considering that other compacts are using 920k panels.

Hopefully we'll see that tele-macro.

I'd like to see a 600mm+, f/4 lens. I feel Pentax has missed an opportunity, if they had introduced a super-tele they could have really caught the attention of the birding community.

I'd also like to see a f/2 5-15mm "enthusiast" zoom, but I doubt that will happen.

There's a ton of potential with the Q system, but I'm not sure if a) Ricoh realizes this and b) sales warrant much of an investment on Ricoh's part. Did anyone know that the modern 1/1.7" sensor actually has over one stop more dynamic range than the original M43 sensor, as measured by DXO?

My Q7 is scheduled to arrive later this week, I'm really looking forward to it.
02-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think a tilting screen would be a massive improvement without adding too much thickness to the already diminutive Q body.
The Sony RX100 does it nicely and there's not much difference in size:
Q-S1: 105x58x34 mm
DSC-RX100: 101x58x35 mm

Certainly would add less bulk than this..

http://www.mab3d.com/TOtaxians/lcdloupe1.jpg
02-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think a tilting screen would be a massive improvement without adding too much thickness to the already diminutive Q body.
The Sony RX100 does it nicely and there's not much difference in size:
Q-S1: 105x58x34 mm
DSC-RX100: 101x58x35 mm

Certainly would add less bulk than this..

http://www.mab3d.com/TOtaxians/lcdloupe1.jpg
Completely agree! If the tiny Sony RX100 or the thin Samsung NX mini can do it, there is no real excuse. It's better to have on and add and extra millimetre to the size then not have one.
02-24-2015, 02:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i want a weather resistant Q and a dive case por favor.

that is why i really do not feel in need for a flippy screen.
wr is essential. recently i had a talk with a samsung nx buyer and he said he isnt very happy with his decision.
Because when u go on vacation, what u would need, will be a splash and dust-proof ilc...
02-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think a Q with an articulated screen is an inevitability at some point. It just depends how long Ricoh is willing to support the system. However, the appearence of WiFi and NFC on the KS-2 leads me to think that these two things are quite likely in the near future.
02-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Personally, I think that giving the small form factor such a high priority is a mistake. For me, the true strength of the Q system is adapting lenses to such a small sensor format
Scott
Of all the number of cameras sold, there will be a miniscule amount of folk not sticking to native lenses. This just pushes a niche camera even more niche.
I'd feel that when adding features to anything, I'd add the ones that most people would want, not something this is in a miniscule market.

J

---------- Post added 27-02-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think a tilting screen would be a massive improvement without adding too much thickness to the already diminutive Q body.[/url]
I'd agree, can't see how folks seem to think it will add a lot to the size.
J