Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Q7 shot to shot speed, single shooting vs burst shooting.

Hi! I manage to snag myself a Pentax Q7 Premium kit for a good bargain and have started playing around with camera.

I have to say this thing is god damn cute and I'm already enjoying using it.

I noticed that if I am on single shooting mode, I can get better shot to shot performance compared to when I am in burst shooting mode. I noticed that if I take one shot when the camera is in burst mode, it will take a longer time before I can take a picture again compared if I am in single shooting mode. Now to clarify I am only taking one picture not actually holding the shutter button down to get 5fps. Is this normal? Thanks.

02-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you sure you're not getting at least two shots? I find it hard to get only one on the Q or Q7 when in burst mode (which is always on Lo since I'm always shooting RAW). Then there is a slight delay as it writes to the card (if you take a whole bunch, there will be a quite long delay sometimes)
02-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see that behavior. In single shot mode the camera takes same amount of time to be ready as 1 shot in high speed continuous.

Check to make sure firmware is up to date on both camera and the premium lenses.
02-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
Hi! I manage to snag myself a Pentax Q7 Premium kit for a good bargain and have started playing around with camera.

I have to say this thing is god damn cute and I'm already enjoying using it.

I noticed that if I am on single shooting mode, I can get better shot to shot performance compared to when I am in burst shooting mode. I noticed that if I take one shot when the camera is in burst mode, it will take a longer time before I can take a picture again compared if I am in single shooting mode. Now to clarify I am only taking one picture not actually holding the shutter button down to get 5fps. Is this normal? Thanks.
I hadn't noticed it before, but since you mentioned it, I just tried it out... and yeah, I'm having the same issue. But... I usually shoot raw+ so there's usually a delay anyway so really this is not something I'm going to be running across in my usage. Strange though...

02-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Are you sure you're not getting at least two shots? I find it hard to get only one on the Q or Q7 when in burst mode (which is always on Lo since I'm always shooting RAW). Then there is a slight delay as it writes to the card (if you take a whole bunch, there will be a quite long delay sometimes)
I made sure I wasn't getting 2 shots. Because I can only hear one shutter sound when I press the shutter button.

---------- Post added 02-11-15 at 10:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I don't see that behavior. In single shot mode the camera takes same amount of time to be ready as 1 shot in high speed continuous.

Check to make sure firmware is up to date on both camera and the premium lenses.
I just checked my firmware and I noticed that my 01 lens is not updated to 1.01, I just updated it and its still doing the same thing.

One thing I noticed is that when I do one shot while in burst mode, after taking the shot I hear a faint noise and it sounds like the AF motor hunting focus for like half a second, This doesn't happen when Im in single shot mode.

I wonder if there are other who would like to try and replicate this weird issue.

---------- Post added 02-11-15 at 10:15 PM ----------

After investigating further, this happens when I'm shooting in JPG, RAW and RAW+
02-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

OK I got it to happen, I guess the difference is minimal so I didn't notice.
I believe it is due to the instant review setting being on.
I only use 1 sec review, if you use longer then it could be extending it.
For the High speed continous it has to buffer the review images to show them sequentially and I think that process is different in that mode than in single shot mode so it may take a bit longer.
I turned off instant review and shot ready time is the same no matter if I do single shot, High speed continuous one shot, or high speed continuous multiple shots.

test this:
turn off instant review and see if there is a diff.
Turn on instant review to 1 sec and note the diff
Turn on instant review for a longer time and see if it extends the difference.

Also I dont think the noise is AF, because if you set the camera to MF it still makes that little whiny burble noise.
02-12-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK I got it to happen, I guess the difference is minimal so I didn't notice.
I believe it is due to the instant review setting being on.
I only use 1 sec review, if you use longer then it could be extending it.
For the High speed continous it has to buffer the review images to show them sequentially and I think that process is different in that mode than in single shot mode so it may take a bit longer.
I turned off instant review and shot ready time is the same no matter if I do single shot, High speed continuous one shot, or high speed continuous multiple shots.

test this:
turn off instant review and see if there is a diff.
Turn on instant review to 1 sec and note the diff
Turn on instant review for a longer time and see if it extends the difference.

Also I dont think the noise is AF, because if you set the camera to MF it still makes that little whiny burble noise.
Hi thanks for trying to replicate the issue.

The thing is i do have instant review off and its still doing the same thing. And yes i do hear the burble noise even in MF and ONLY in burst mode not in single shot mode.

I was wondering if there was something else in my settings thats doing it.

I tries resetting the camera and it doesnt resolve the issue, unless theres an actualy way to do a factory reset that i do not know of.
02-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
HTML Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s9aeR5tYAxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here's the video of the issue as you can see there is a noticeable difference in the shot to shot performance.

This is with instant review off. JPEG, RAW or RAW+ same thing, 01 Prime lens.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 06:49 PM ----------

Apologies as I messed up the video post.

here it is.

02-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I see the AF points light up in continuous but not im single shot. Do you have release priority set for in focus?
I don't see why it would be different for continuous vs single shot though.
Interesting.
02-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see the AF points light up in continuous but not im single shot. Do you have release priority set for in focus?
I don't see why it would be different for continuous vs single shot though.
Interesting.
Changing the release priority to focus or release does not fix the issue. I'm constantly trying to fiddle with the settings and trying to determine what could be happening.

The af points on single shot do come up at a certain point in the video, I checked myself, if I keep the half press until the next shot the af points are there.