Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone making hotshoe to Weaver scope adapters?

My originals aren't made any more. Trying to set someone up with a red dot finder. What do you guys use now?
Thanks
barondla

02-16-2015, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's another item that might be successfully 3D printed.
02-16-2015, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I'm still using the extenda sight which is no longer available.

I see this on B&H but may be out of stock
Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter FF19003 B&H Photo Video

Here's someone making them 3d printed
Weaver To Hotshoe Adapter by panylund on Shapeways
02-17-2015, 03:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Crewl1. I am also using the discontinued one. A lot of photographers besides Qusers want red dots. Now I have some recommendations when they see my setup. The 3D printed one is very interesting. Will check it out.
thanks
barondla

02-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Have a look at this,You may not need it.

EE-1 Dot Sight - New | Olympus
02-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote

Hey that's cool. If the price comes down a bit it may be a contender. I'd like to see more info, it looks like it may be collapsible?
02-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Just curious but what in the heck are these used for? WHY? What's the purpose? I have never seen nor heard if this and certainly don't know what it would be used for.

02-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Just curious but what in the heck are these used for? WHY? What's the purpose? I have never seen nor heard if this and certainly don't know what it would be used for.
When using a telephoto lens it may be difficult to acquire the target quickly.
The scope has a normal field of view so with it you can put the dot on the target and your camera will be on the subject.
This is helpful for extreme telephoto and moving objects such as birds in flight.
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/212245-how-set-up-pentax-red-dot-sight-q.html

02-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It pains me that Pentax had the lead on this. Even built red dot scopes. Now Olympus zooms in and gets the credit. All pentax had to do was put a hotshoe foot on their red dot. But no. Arghhhh.
thanks
barondla

Pentax should have owned the affordable birding market by now. Just frittering it away.
02-18-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote

I am going to buy that too!
I saw that the other day, and when I get one, I'll report back!

02-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Barondla, good news! Looks like the folks at Photosolve will be bringing out a new version

QuoteQuote:
Xtend-a-Sight™ II Red Dot Sight Mounting adapter for connecting a Red Dot Sight to the flash shoe of your camera.--- The Xtend-a-Sight allows you mount a Red Dot sight (typically found attached to rifles and pistols) to the flash shoe of your camera. This allows you to track moving objects much more accurately than the LCD or the viewfinder because the LCD generally "locks up" for a short while during processing of a picture and the viewfinder of a DSLR is "blanked" during the mirror up routine, or because of its limited view, it's difficult to keep a moving object in sight. The fourth version of the Xtend-a-Sight represents a focus on cost reduction and functionality. The manufacturing cost of the previous version had risen to a point where we had to shut down production until a new design was found. The new version incorporates a single, longer Weaver mount rail (which accommodates longer RDS units), with multiple horizontal slots which accomoidates a much wider variety of Red Dot Sight versions.
AVAILABILITY: MARCH 5-10th (approximately)
Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight
02-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great news Crewl1. The 3D printed adapter looks nice, but wear could be a problem. Interested to see the new Xtend a site.
thanks
barondla