Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 02:31 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ol Harold Shoots the Nakomis General Store

As I noted last year, I was giving several friends Q10ís for Christmas. I have also mentioned that we are using the Q series cameras for types of photography not common to most folks. Here is an example.

Olí Harold received a new Pentax Q10, 12.4 mp digital mirrorless camera for Christmas. Among itís many features, the small size of this camera allows the photographer to get into some really tight spots and get quality shots that may be impossible to achieve with a larger camera.

The Nakomis General store was built by Olí Harold from a HO scale, wood and card stock, HSM/Classic Miniatures Silver Plume Store kit. (The Prototype for this model still stands in Silver Plume Colorado.) It has a rather complete detailed interior including merchandise, clerk and patrons. Unfortunately due to the position this structure occupies on the railroad that detail cannot be seen by the naked eye. In fact it was almost forgotten until this image was captured.

Here is the setup Olí Harold used to capture the Nakomis General Store Detail.

First the two story station in Nakomis, near the tracks, had to be partially dismantled. This necessitated removing some wiring and a few trees. A temporary backdrop was put into position behind the store to block out undesirable background distractions. Next the Pentax Q10 was worked into position. A series of blind test shots were taken and did not produce the anticipated images so a mirror was placed behind the camera. In this manner Olí Harold was able to see the LCD screen on the back of the camera and make the necessary adjustments to properly compose the photograph. Note the distance of about 6.5 inches between the front of the lens and the structure. This arrangement would not be possible with a larger camera.

The Qís size and itís ability to get good depth of field are two of the reasons I am advertising this camera to those who enjoy building models and photographing them. You can see more of Olí Haroldís modeling work at Fall River Line

02-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice detail shot and setup.
02-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

It looks really cool!
02-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow, you can really judge the scale of the model when there's an (already tiny) Q10 in the shot! A real testament to Ol' Harold's skills.

Makes me wonder if the Q10 w/ the 07 Mount Shield lens could be taken for a ride on the rail line...

02-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

I love how at home the Q10 looks in it all - A tiny camera in a tiny land. What a wonderfully detailed model. Not in a thousand years could I manage the patience and artistry to create something like that.
02-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That's some good stuff there......
02-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Ol' Harold put that Q10 to some good use, that is for sure. I followed the link for the Fall River line and enjoyed seeing more of Ol' Harolds modeling skills.
The one taken through the covered bridge is very realistic feeling.
02-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
I love how at home the Q10 looks in it all - A tiny camera in a tiny land. What a wonderfully detailed model. Not in a thousand years could I manage the patience and artistry to create something like that.
It does take time to build those models unfortunately many model builders never get the notice they deserve. I am working with several of them to get photo’s of their work out on the Internet and I hope that using the Q series will aid them in doing so. You can see more such work at my personal WEB site.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 07:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Ol' Harold put that Q10 to some good use, that is for sure. I followed the link for the Fall River line and enjoyed seeing more of Ol' Harolds modeling skills.
The one taken through the covered bridge is very realistic feeling.
Thanks! I have forwarded to Ol' Harold a link to this thread so he can see what folks who know something about photography think of his work and the way he chose to portray it. That shot looking out from a tunnel could not have been accomplished with a larger camera and in itself was a difficult setup but I agree that it did work well.

---------- Post added 02-18-15 at 07:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Wow, you can really judge the scale of the model when there's an (already tiny) Q10 in the shot! A real testament to Ol' Harold's skills.

Makes me wonder if the Q10 w/ the 07 Mount Shield lens could be taken for a ride on the rail line...
Thanks for your comments. We have tried movie type cameras on the railroad however their vision is too wide and they tend to capture undesirable elements that are not part of and ruin the scene such as room lighting, items hanging on the walls etc. Such elements ruin the illusion. If you check out the Home page of my personal WEB site you can see several videoís and take a ride on Olí Harolds Fall River Line Railroad.

02-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OL' Harold is an excellent model builder. These images are spectacular. He has the Q performing at the highest level. Can't imagine any other camera system doing these photos. Enjoyed seeing these photos.
thanks
barondla
02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Well built and well photographed! Great that you are celebrating the good work.
02-22-2015, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread reminds me I want to try doing some 3D cut-outs of some of my photos.

We were at the model train museum down in Lewiston last summer and they had these amazing photos on the walls where someone shot photos of trains, then did some sort of funky punch-technique on the images and mounted them in photo boxes. It gave this really nifty 3D effect to the shots.

I remember I tried taking some shots without a heck of a lot of luck of the trains on display down there with my K-30.
02-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
From what I've seen of Harold's work, I doubt if there is enough clearance for that to work (it would be neat though!)
02-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Neato! :-)