Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

New Q7 User, Uploading Issues

Hey everyone! I recently bought a Pentax Q7 and have been playing around with it to see what it is capable of. So far I'm pretty smitten with it because it is light and is a good walk around camera. Since I only shoot raw with my Nikon I am opting to shoot raw with the Q7. I have not ruled out jpg, but since I just got it I prefer raw for the time being. I use Adobe Bridge and Lightroom for uploading and managing my files. Yesterday I shot some images with the bold monochrome setting and imported them both in Bridge and Lightroom. Bridge automatically made them color and Lightroom shows a black and white thumbnail, but when I click to look at it it also converts to the image to color. My question is how can I import the images from my camera to my computer to keep the filters intact with the image? I used bold monochrome and the toy lens filter on some of my images yesterday, but when looking at the raw files in Bridge and Lightroom they don't have the filters on them. I read some threads and people were saying if you used Silkypix you would not have that issue, but I would like to try and get it working in my Adobe software. Any help is appreciated.

02-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by burritobabe Quote
Hey everyone! I recently bought a Pentax Q7 and have been playing around with it to see what it is capable of. So far I'm pretty smitten with it because it is light and is a good walk around camera. Since I only shoot raw with my Nikon I am opting to shoot raw with the Q7. I have not ruled out jpg, but since I just got it I prefer raw for the time being. I use Adobe Bridge and Lightroom for uploading and managing my files. Yesterday I shot some images with the bold monochrome setting and imported them both in Bridge and Lightroom. Bridge automatically made them color and Lightroom shows a black and white thumbnail, but when I click to look at it it also converts to the image to color. My question is how can I import the images from my camera to my computer to keep the filters intact with the image? I used bold monochrome and the toy lens filter on some of my images yesterday, but when looking at the raw files in Bridge and Lightroom they don't have the filters on them. I read some threads and people were saying if you used Silkypix you would not have that issue, but I would like to try and get it working in my Adobe software. Any help is appreciated.
Those are proprietary Pentax filters, so you'll only be able to access them via the supplied software or in-camera JPEG shooting, I believe. I'd therefore recommend using RAW+ so you get both the raw file and the processed file

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm dumb and didn't see the raw+ option in the menu. I'll test and see if that works. Thank you for your fast response!
02-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

RAW is RAW, no processing or affects are applied to RAW. Thumbnails and camera previews are embeded JPG.

02-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

One thing to note if you want to use SilkyPix, use the CD the came with the Q7. For some reason the SilkyPix installer you can get on the pentax website would not open Q7 raw files.
03-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

Been using FastStone Image Viewer to view RAW / DNG files captured with Pentax Q7 ... with Quick/Smart Effects intact.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

I proceed to import all DNGs to Lightroom ... and as mentioned, Smart Effects are stripped away as soon as you select the picture within the Library.

I then use FastStone Image Viewer ... and navigate to where the DNG is saved within Lightroom's Photo Catalog. Smart Effects are retained when viewed within this program and a JPG/TIF can be saved out with effects burned in.

BTW ... they have a portable version so I keep one handy on a thumbdrive and even on the portable drive where my Lightroom Photo catalog is stored ... for easy access.