Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Little Q Died

Its a "Q", latest firmware.

Charged the battery in it goes, turns on, all ok. once turned off however, it won't turn back on until after the battery spends a moment on charge.

Its the standard battery. Measuring it with my multi tool it read 4.14v which I thought was odd.. anyway checking it after it's brief time in the camera it now reads as 4.13v

Firstly aren't these batteries 3.6v?
Secondarily what the?

Should it turn on if connected to the USB without the battery?

02-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the USB powers the camera at all. There's an AC adapter available, but that's actually a little battery-shaped adapter, so it looks like that's the only option for power. p40 in manual.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/q.pdf

I'd replace the battery, the Wasabi aftermarket ones are good.

I had an issue with my cellphone's battery - and had to replace a couple after a while. They can go bad over time, even if treated well. Fortunately the replacements aren't that expensive.

Hopefully it's just the battery, not something electronic.
02-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there an SD card installed?
02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Measuring it with my multi tool it read 4.14v which I thought was odd.. anyway checking it after it's brief time in the camera it now reads as 4.13v

They are 3.6V under load, your multi tool tries it's best to not put any load on whatever you're measuring. So that's probably normal. I tried one of mine (fully charged, but a while ago) and it measures 4.10V.

02-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

To the OP: You have only one battery for the Q? If so, given the small capacity of the D-Li68, I'm figuring you have a lot of recharge cycles on it. I'm guessing the battery is the problem. While I prefer sticking with OEM-brand batteries, Wasabis get good reviews and they're cheaper. Good luck.
02-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've had numerous cameras do this or similar, most notoriously several Canon P&S cameras. It's never been an issue with the battery. The cameras themselves seem to lose the ability to read the voltage on the battery. Cleaning the battery terminals might help, but that didn't work for me. I can't help but wonder if these issue are known by the manufacturers, but, since they usually occur out of warranty, they will never address them. It seems silly for companies to do this because dead cameras never engender goodwill, nor a desire to purchase that brand again.
02-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Its a "Q", latest firmware.

Charged the battery in it goes, turns on, all ok. once turned off however, it won't turn back on until after the battery spends a moment on charge.

Its the standard battery. Measuring it with my multi tool it read 4.14v which I thought was odd.. anyway checking it after it's brief time in the camera it now reads as 4.13v

Secondarily what the?

Should it turn on if connected to the USB without the battery?
I keep records of all my camera batteries. A fully charged 1000-1100 mAh, D-Li68 battery for the Q series should read 4.18 volts when fully charged. Less and that means it is starting to give out. The camera shuts off when the charge is between 3.2 and 3.3 volts.
02-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Look if The card slot door is proprely Closed

02-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These things won't turn on if the card door is slightly ajar either? Oh more variable yah!

Well just to ruin my hypothesis, without any charging intervention by me it turned on.. Hmmm indeed. So now I need to replicate the fault for my own sanity.

Thank you for all that commeneted, and thank you for confriming the function of the battery, in that my multi showing over 4v is ok.

I'm going to check the battery and door terminals either way.

---------- Post added 02-28-15 at 09:30 PM ----------

#edit, well my victory was short lived.

Coming home tonight she is dead, and the multi still reports the same charge from this morning.. Hmmmm

All doors are in good working order, blew out any material that might have been hanging around with some compressed air, no good. Switched mem cards, no good.

Bugger.
02-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For $10 dollars or less (amazon) try a new battery, the battery might not provide the required voltage under load bur read ok with the meter. I also have a Canon p&s and one of my batteries shows charged but will not power the camera

Give the Q a chance
02-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
For $10 dollars or less (amazon) try a new battery, the battery might not provide the required voltage under load bur read ok with the meter. I also have a Canon p&s and one of my batteries shows charged but will not power the camera

Give the Q a chance
Yes, battery under load is not same as battery not doing anything. You could also have a situation, and this has happened with alot of batteries I've had (such as running electric toothbrush) where a dying battery has enough power for a fraction of a second of work; that would test fine, but not be enough to actually do anything on the camera
02-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well more science..

Again, over a 6hour period (sleep) It turned on again this morning. And It managed to record 60mins of video. And again turning it off, it would not turn on. You'd think it would have crashed during the recording if the battery was really that sick? Anyway. Yes new battery is on the way to cancel out that variable.
02-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

60mins of video.. Was that a typo??
03-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
... yes! replace 60 with 25... *oops*
03-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
Forum Member

Ok! We are in suspense. Please post after your new battery is installed.