Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Switar 36mm 1.8

Yvar 13mm 1.9

03-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #17

The colors are amazing! What picture profile are you guys using? With my videos, I am trying to get the flattest image as possible so I will have more leeway in post.
03-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

Original Poster
Here are a couple of Angenieux zoom lenses. The silver reflex zoom is D mount 9-36mm f 1.9 and the black zoom is C mount 8-64mm 1.9. Some pictures with these will follow in the near future.

03-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
For the stills, I shot in RAW, then ran it through my usual Lightroom/Photoshop PP routine. Obviously the tools would be different for video, but it's analogous to what it sounds like you are trying to accomplish (i.e. shoot a neutral image, then grade and process out of camera).
Yes, exactly. To be honest with you, I was always more interested in the video side of these cameras, but the Q7 is such a user friendly, cool camera... I may try my hand at photography.

Have you used the time lapse function? If so, how good is it?

Thanks

03-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #20

Original Poster
Mercer, It was great to see your video with your Kern-Paillard D mount lenses. I have done some video tests with my Switar and Yvay lenses with good technical results. I need to find some time to film some better subjects before I am ready to share video.

Yesterday I received a Bolex D8LA Regular 8 movie camera with a like new appearance. This camera was introduced in 1961 and features a a 3 lens turret and TTL metering. The meter actually still works, needing no batteries. The spring motor is slow so it probably needs a good CLA. I have thought about getting this done, but since the cost of 1 roll of film and processing is near $40 these day, I kind of doubt it. Fifteen years ago this would have been less that $10. It certainly is a beautiful little jewel that is covered with Morocco leather. It came in the original box with manual, leather wrist strap, body caps and backwinding crank. I wil post pictures of it soon.

I bought it to harvest the 3 Switar primes. The 36mm f1.8 Visifocus was a duplicate to one I already had. New to me were the 5.5mm f 1.8 wide angle, and the 12.5mm f1.5 normal lens. Still photo and video testing confirmed these were as good as their reputatin with sharp focus and wonderful color. The focusing distances on the lens seem to have very little to do with the actual focusing distance using the Q. Perhaps I need to experiment with shims bewteen the lenses and the adaptor. I need to get several more D to Q adaptors.

Check Youtube for some great footage taken by Bolex D8LA 's back in the 60's. Search for 1963 Glen Canyon Trip. One would have to take along several batteries to accomplish the same thing with a Q.This Kodachrome footage has beautiful color. This is a well documented trip.
03-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
dcshooter,
Wow, that is incredible.
03-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by vonfilm Quote
Mercer, It was great to see your video with your Kern-Paillard D mount lenses. I have done some video tests with my Switar and Yvay lenses with good technical results. I need to find some time to film some better subjects before I am ready to share video.

Yesterday I received a Bolex D8LA Regular 8 movie camera with a like new appearance. This camera was introduced in 1961 and features a a 3 lens turret and TTL metering. The meter actually still works, needing no batteries. The spring motor is slow so it probably needs a good CLA. I have thought about getting this done, but since the cost of 1 roll of film and processing is near $40 these day, I kind of doubt it. Fifteen years ago this would have been less that $10. It certainly is a beautiful little jewel that is covered with Morocco leather. It came in the original box with manual, leather wrist strap, body caps and backwinding crank. I wil post pictures of it soon.

I bought it to harvest the 3 Switar primes. The 36mm f1.8 Visifocus was a duplicate to one I already had. New to me were the 5.5mm f 1.8 wide angle, and the 12.5mm f1.5 normal lens. Still photo and video testing confirmed these were as good as their reputatin with sharp focus and wonderful color. The focusing distances on the lens seem to have very little to do with the actual focusing distance using the Q. Perhaps I need to experiment with shims bewteen the lenses and the adaptor. I need to get several more D to Q adaptors.

Check Youtube for some great footage taken by Bolex D8LA 's back in the 60's. Search for 1963 Glen Canyon Trip. One would have to take along several batteries to accomplish the same thing with a Q.This Kodachrome footage has beautiful color. This is a well documented trip.
Kodachrome 40 was a wonderful film. Some say it was the best color film ever produced. When I first heard of old, 8mm lenses being used on the Q, I figured it was just a novelty. I had no idea they were going to be such high quality until I saw a post on this forum showcasing the Kern lenses that had me sold on the Q7.

I love the 12.5mm, it is probably my favorite of the Kerns. I also have a fixed focus 13mm that I have yet to test but I have heard good things about. The 5.5mm Piza I have has awesome color. Though you couldn't tell from my video because I think the awb was off. Also, I wish it didn't vignette quite so severely.

I do believe shimming these lenses will help with the focus, I assume you use some sort of nylon washer? I have read a bunch of posts where users have explained the process but I don't know where to find the spacers. If you get a chance you should check out the Cosmicar TV lenses in c-mount. They really remind you how great Pentax glass is.

03-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #23

Original Poster
Dcshooter, can you refer me to any online tutorial that would explain lens CLA, preferably with pictures. There is someone on ebay who has told me he would CLA them for me at the rate of 4 lenses for $200. That may be a fair price, but it is a lot for me. Some of my Kern lenses focus and aperture are stiffer than others. They do seem to have gotten better with their recent exercise.
03-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #24

Original Poster
Here are some shots with the Switar 5.5mm 1.8 D mount lens from out the window while driving down the road.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 09:10 AM ----------

This is Coco Chanel taken by the Switar 36mm f1.8.

03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #25

Original Poster
Dcshooter, the results from the H8 RX Macro-Switar are quite striking. What is involved in modifying the adapter so it will focus properly?
03-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #26

Original Poster
Dcshooter, Thanks for your explanation.

Here is a video test of the Q with Switar 12.5mm f 1.5. A very short shaky telephoto clip at the end is the Angenieux 8-64 f 1.9 zoom. This is mostly walking around a farmer's market and a local nursery. All footage is hand held. I was very pleased with the color rendition and the sharpness when I got the focus right. I need to test further on a tripod. A coherent video using all my Switars would be good.
03-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #27

Original Poster
The handheld Q is not very intimidating. Those being filmed tend to smile and wave. I wonder what they would do if they saw that 55 oz. gimbal rig pointing at them.
03-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #28

Original Poster
Voightlander Bessamatic DKL-M42-Q

I have a M42 to Q adapter on the way. If I acquire the Bessamatic DKL to M42 adapter below, will I be able to use my Vooigtlander DKL mount 50mm Color Skopar and 135mm Super Dynarex lenses on my Q?

Voigtlander Bessamatic Retina DKL Lens to M42 Screw Mount Adapter Pentax Zenit | eBay