Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #31
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, there aren't any for the Kerns onliune, but I'll tel you what - I'll tear apart one of my kerns and post pics when I get a chance. They tend to be pretty similar in construction.

If you are just looking to adjust the infinity focus, many of the kerns can have the focus ring adjusted by loosening the three tiny set screws on the outside of the ring, shifting the ring to the proper focus distance, then tightening them back down. There's also sometimes a larger set screw that is for the infinity stop itself. You don't want to remove that one, or you can spin the lens of its helical. I find it easiest to do by mounting the camera on a tripod, and using the magnified view to calibrate a focused far-off object to the infinity mark.

EDIT: Looking at your pics, it looks like the 2 YVAR lenses have the exterior set screws, but the switar may not, so it might require more disassembly to get to the focus adjust.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonfilm Quote
Dcshooter, can you refer me to any online tutorial that would explain lens CLA, preferably with pictures. There is someone on ebay who has told me he would CLA them for me at the rate of 4 lenses for $200. That may be a fair price, but it is a lot for me. Some of my Kern lenses focus and aperture are stiffer than others. They do seem to have gotten better with their recent exercise.

Last edited by dcshooter; 03-12-2015 at 08:34 PM.
03-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #32
Marketplace Reseller

I went for a walk past the local college with my lady after I arrived home tonight and happened to have the Q7/Macro Switar combo in my pocket again, so I snapped a few quick architecture and sunset shots as we strolled.
Attached Images

03-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #33

Original Poster
Here are some shots with the Switar 5.5mm 1.8 D mount lens from out the window while driving down the road.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 09:10 AM ----------

This is Coco Chanel taken by the Switar 36mm f1.8.

03-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #34
Marketplace Reseller

And a few more with the 12.5mm Macro Switar:

Attached Images

03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #35

Original Poster
Dcshooter, the results from the H8 RX Macro-Switar are quite striking. What is involved in modifying the adapter so it will focus properly?
03-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #36
Marketplace Reseller

The common adapters are usually two pieces: 1) an outer ring with the bayonet on it, and containing three set screws securing 2) an inner ring that can be rotated to match the thread entry with your lens so it sits upright on the camera when mounted.

If you completely remove the set screws, the inner ring will pop out. This then has to have its front surface milled down on a metal lathe by 2.216mm to achieve the correct registry distance. Note that it doesn't have to be completely exact, since this lens is pretty easy to adjust infinity focus on to compensate for any minor discrepancy, but if you plan on using the same lens on multiple cameras/adapters, you will want to make it as exact as possible so you don't have to readjust it every time you switch cameras. If you don't have access to a lathe, I suppose you could accomplish the same thing by carefully sanding down the surface, but that will be less likely to give you a perfectly parallel mount. If you go to a local machine shop, they could do the lathing in under 5 minutes and would probably charge you just a few bucks.

Once complete, the innner ring is still thick enough to be held by the set screws, and will sit inset into the outer ring. Since the inner diameter of the outer ring is wider than the barrel on this particular lens, it sits comfortably against the inner ring. I believe this should hold true of all the Kern H8 primes. The H8 zooms, however, have extra exposure/shutter release apparatuses near the base and might require further modification to the mount if you want to try them.

There's also apparently a rarish pre-made H8 to Q adapter made by a Taiwanese outfit called Hawk's Factory, but it costs several times more than the standard adapter, and since I have a lathe in my basement, I just modified my own.

Dcshooter, the results from the H8 RX Macro-Switar are quite striking. What is involved in modifying the adapter so it will focus properly?

Last edited by dcshooter; 03-15-2015 at 07:55 PM.
03-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #37

Original Poster
Dcshooter, Thanks for your explanation.

Here is a video test of the Q with Switar 12.5mm f 1.5. A very short shaky telephoto clip at the end is the Angenieux 8-64 f 1.9 zoom. This is mostly walking around a farmer's market and a local nursery. All footage is hand held. I was very pleased with the color rendition and the sharpness when I got the focus right. I need to test further on a tripod. A coherent video using all my Switars would be good.
03-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #38
Marketplace Reseller

Nice looking video with great picture quality, but again showing the toughest part about using the Q for video, which is keeping the darn thing steady. I've had some success with turning the shake reduction off and using a bracket-style handle to get a bit wider of a grip. The problem is, the more effective the solution, generally the more you lose the advantage of the Q's tiny size. Something like this would probably work great!

Dcshooter, Thanks for your explanation.

Here is a video test of the Q with Switar 12.5mm f 1.5. A very short shaky telephoto clip at the end is the Angenieux 8-64 f 1.9 zoom. This is mostly walking around a farmer's market and a local nursery. All footage is hand held. I was very pleased with the color rendition and the sharpness when I got the focus right. I need to test further on a tripod. A coherent video using all my Switars would be good.
https://youtu.be/pLWfT6sq2wI

03-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #39

Original Poster
The handheld Q is not very intimidating. Those being filmed tend to smile and wave. I wonder what they would do if they saw that 55 oz. gimbal rig pointing at them.
03-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #40

Original Poster
Voightlander Bessamatic DKL-M42-Q

I have a M42 to Q adapter on the way. If I acquire the Bessamatic DKL to M42 adapter below, will I be able to use my Vooigtlander DKL mount 50mm Color Skopar and 135mm Super Dynarex lenses on my Q?

Voigtlander Bessamatic Retina DKL Lens to M42 Screw Mount Adapter Pentax Zenit | eBay
03-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #41
Marketplace Reseller

Should be possible.

The Schneider Retinas are very nice, too and will fit on the generic Deckel adapters. That 135mm is going to be a super tele (756mm equivalent) on your Q, so you are probably going to need a very stable tripod to make it useful. Most of these older German lenses are sharp enough to be useful on the Q, but expect major purple fringing.

I use Deckel mount stuff on my K-5 and K-3 all the time.

I have a M42 to Q adapter on the way. If I acquire the Bessamatic DKL to M42 adapter below, will I be able to use my Vooigtlander DKL mount 50mm Color Skopar and 135mm Super Dynarex lenses on my Q?

Voigtlander Bessamatic Retina DKL Lens to M42 Screw Mount Adapter Pentax Zenit | eBay