Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Show us your pictures using C,D,and P110 lenses

I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned White Q with the 5-15 zoom. I have also ordered C,D, and P110 to Q adapters. I have most of the Pentax 110 lenses and a good selection of Kern Paillard Switar and Yvar D mount cine lenses The Switar lenses include a 13mm f.09. I also have an Angenieux 8-64mm C mount cine zoom. I am eager to play and experiment with all of these.

Back in the day I use to shoot a lot of Regular 8 movies but it became too much trouble and prohibitively expensive too continue. I want to see how Q D-mount video compare to my Regular 8 films. It will be great to have some sound also. Also, photos with these cine lenses should be interesting.

I would really like to see some of your C,D, and P110 lens images from your Q's Please show what you have.

Last edited by vonfilm; 03-02-2015 at 07:05 AM.
02-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This image was taken with a 110 18mm on a Q7.
Attached Images

02-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, the Paillard Bolex lenses work the best of any of the smaller format lenses. Be aware that some of the D mount glass, including the wide Switars, will vignette even on the tiny q sensor. The C mount stuff tends to not have similar problems. Also be aware that the H8/and RX C Kern lenses will not focus correctly on standard adapters due to different register differences. I have the Angenieux as well, and it performs quite well on the Q, although it is a bit unwieldy on such a tiny body. A bracket grip does wonders with this combo.

The Pentax 110 lenses frankly aren't up to snuff compared to the cine lenses, and it doesn't help that they are fixed aperture and that most of the adapters sold have a shiny interior, which causes poor contrast on the Q. If you plan on using them, then it's advisable to paint the interior a matte black or apply flocking.

As far as video goes, I have achieved results that are generally much better than 8mm film in terms of resolution, color, and frame rate. The main downside is the Q's pronounced jello effect and sub-par sensor stabilization i n video.

Not at home right now, but I've got my Q with a Kern YVAR 13mm 1.9 on it with me. I'll see if I can fire off a few quick test shots for you...

EDIT:
Just attached a few test snaps using my Q7. These are JPEGs processed in-camera and downsized with Windows Photo Gallery, no other editing/sharpening/etc. The Raw files show some minor vignetting at the corner that is cut off in the processed JPEGs. Ont the regular Q, there is no vignetting.

This is typical of the 8mm Paillard wides - excellent center sharpness, more blurr around the edges, very pleasant color rendition, fewer aberrations than the P110 lenses. The Switars tend to be even better than the Yvars.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonfilm Quote
I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned White Q with the 5-15 zoom. I have also ordered C,D, and P110 to Q adapters. I have most of the Pentax 110 lenses and a good selection of Kern Paillard Switar and Yvar D mount cine lenses The Switar lenses include a 36mm f.09. I also have an Angenieux 8-64mm C mount cine zoom. I am eager to play and experiment with all of these.

Back in the day I use to shoot a lot of Regular 8 movies but it became too much trouble and prohibitively expensive too continue. I want to see how Q D-mount video compare to my Regular 8 films. It will be great to have some sound also. Also, photos with these cine lenses should be interesting.

I would really like to see some of your C,D, and P110 lens images from your Q's Please show what you have.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by dcshooter; 02-27-2015 at 01:56 PM.
02-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My Q7 arrived a couple days ago, and my P110 lenses + adapter should be here next week.

02-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
IMO, the Paillard Bolex lenses work the best of any of the smaller format lenses. Be aware that some of the D mount glass, including the wide Switars, will vignette even on the tiny q sensor.
How wide do the Switars go? (in other words, how will I recognize a "wide Switar" when I see one?)
02-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How wide do the Switars go? (in other words, how will I recognize a "wide Switar" when I see one?)
There is a 5.5mm Switar.

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 09:31 PM ----------

I have noticed a Kern-Paillard group on Flickr where their are some amazing images made with Kern Paillard primes. They seem to render color in an particularly beautiful way.
02-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned White Q with the 5-15 zoom. I have also ordered C,D, and P110 to Q adapters. I have most of the Pentax 110 lenses and a good selection of Kern Paillard Switar and Yvar D mount cine lenses The Switar lenses include a 36mm f.09. I also have an Angenieux 8-64mm C mount cine zoom. I am eager to play and experiment with all of these.

Did you check the index? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html
02-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
More useful than how wide they go seems to be how wide they will cover the Q sensor. In my experience most 13mm or less D mounts will vignette on the Q sensor. I've never seen anything (in D mount) under 13mm that didn't have completely black corners when stopped down a bit. (I don't know about the switars specifically as I only have a 25mm there.)

02-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just took these all on the Q7 to display the vignetting on various Kern D mount lenses.

1: Switar 5.5mm f/1.8
2: Yvar 12.5mm f/2.8 AR fixed focus
3: Yvar 13mm f/1.9
4: Yvar 36mm 2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
03-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Do the Kern lenses focus to infinity? I have a couple that won't focus past 3ft or such. It may be the adapter, but I have no idea how to solve that.
03-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Some of the Kern Bolex lenses (e.g. the RX h8 series) use non-standard register distances. I've seen special adapters out there, but they tend to be more expensive. In some cases, a standard adapter can be machined to the right thickness. I have a standard c mount on order that I am planning on machining so I can use a Vario-Switar for c8 I recently acquired.

QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
Do the Kern lenses focus to infinity? I have a couple that won't focus past 3ft or such. It may be the adapter, but I have no idea how to solve that.
03-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Here's my first Auto 110 lens shot. It's the 50/2.8, wide open as I have yet to do the aperture disc mod. I missed focus slightly, I back-focused by 1/2" or so.

Hand-held, ISO 1600, 1/25s

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
03-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #13

I have noticed a Kern-Paillard group on Flickr where their are some amazing images made with Kern Paillard primes. They seem to render color in an particularly beautiful way.
Here is the Kern-Paillard group.
03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #14

Original Poster
The night before last I received my white bodied Q with 02 lens. I immediately mounted a Kern- Paillard Switar 13mm f.9 with D/Q adapter and started taking some pictures. I had yesterday off and played with my new Q all day. D mount capability was the main reason that I purchased the Q. I had not been able to use my K-P lens collection in years. I am finding the Q to be perfect for them.

I also shot some video tests as these are after all Cine lenses. I found the Q d-mount video to give the flavor of the best Regular 8 video. This may prove to be my favorite way to use this camera. I recently won a Ebay auction for a Bolex DL8A with 3 more Switar primes.
Here are a few pictures of photos taken with K-P lenses and of the lenses mounted on the Q

03-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
A few more shots: