Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
Got my Q!

My little black Q7 + kit zoom arrived from Adorama a couple days ago! It sure is a tiny thing.

Things I liked immediately: the grippiness, menu setup (familiar), Quick Dial, build quality & sharpness of the 5-15 lens.

Things I dislike so far: the low-res LCD, in spite of its large size the kit zoom is very slow, low-light AF on the kit lens @ 15mm is poor.

First snaps... top 4 are with the 5-15, last 2 are with the Tak 200/4 @ f/6.7 + Fotodiox K adapter.














Last edited by luftfluss; 02-28-2015 at 05:40 PM.
02-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
Congratulations and welcome to the club! Nice work. I'm trying to guess where the shots were taken.
02-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Congratulations and welcome to the club! Nice work. I'm trying to guess where the shots were taken.
The first one is by the Waterloo Concert Field - its right behind me. The shallower portions of the Musconetcong River had surface ice.

The last two are at the Hopatcong State Park.
02-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
great shots....the kit zoom is GOOD, although some people don't think so....adapters open up a lot of inaccessible places....enjoy!

02-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 75
Welcome my friend.

Just got a Q7 recently too and have been enjoying it so far. If you can get the 03(fish eye) also the 01(prime) they are great lenses for a really good price.
03-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
great shots....the kit zoom is GOOD, although some people don't think so....adapters open up a lot of inaccessible places....enjoy!
I find the sharpness of the kit zoom to be good, but I'm sure there is sample variation and some folks get saddled with a lens that is not so good. My only complaint about the 5-15 is that it is so dam slow.

QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
Welcome my friend.

Just got a Q7 recently too and have been enjoying it so far. If you can get the 03(fish eye) also the 01(prime) they are great lenses for a really good price.
I've got my eye on the 01 and maybe the 06. Not sure about other lenses, as I'd rather put my money toward APS-C lenses.
03-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
hello again,


on ebay there are a few add ons that screw onto the lenses I have(01,02,06).....they work ok, not absolutely brilliantly but i'm happy with what they do....2Xteleconverter and .wide angle/macro....very cheap and extends the range....good value in my opinion....but I only shoot Jpegs...worth considering.
03-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,723
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My only complaint about the 5-15 is that it is so dam slow.
You're a hard man to please. 2.8-4.5 is better than a lot of kit zooms. I can definitely recommend the 06 - it is an astonishing lens.
Your results so far look superb. Enjoy this little miracle of a system!

03-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You're a hard man to please. 2.8-4.5 is better than a lot of kit zooms. I can definitely recommend the 06 - it is an astonishing lens.
Your results so far look superb. Enjoy this little miracle of a system!
I'd agree with you about the kit, if we were talking APS-C or M4/3. But if you consider the body + kit lens together, its far slower than every other camera of similar size with a similar-sized sensor. I really believe that Ricoh could have made the lens f/2.8 throughout the range - perhaps even f/2-2.8 - and kept the lens size similar to what it is now, albeit a bit heavier.

As an example, the Panasonic LX7, which has a similar-sized sensor, is f/1.4 to f/2.3 from 24-90mm (eq). I understand the LX7 (and its ilk) have a collapsable lens design, but even fully extended it does not protrude further than the 5-15.

My frustrations and whining aside, it really is a fun system, and works a treat with my DA70.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-02-2015 at 03:02 AM.
03-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,881
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
hello again,


on ebay there are a few add ons that screw onto the lenses I have(01,02,06).....they work ok, not absolutely brilliantly but i'm happy with what they do....2Xteleconverter and .wide angle/macro....very cheap and extends the range....good value in my opinion....but I only shoot Jpegs...worth considering.
When I had my Panasonic LX7, there was a very good wide angle adapter for it. I wish I hadn't sold mine, because I think it might work well on the Q's 5-15mm lens.

I think I will eventually have the same lens lineup as you - 01, 02, 06.
03-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

I've got my eye on the 01 and maybe the 06. Not sure about other lenses, as I'd rather put my money toward APS-C lenses.
The fisheye is around $100-120 dollars on ebay. I would recommend as a handy lens to carry around when you need to to fit people in tiny spaces. For its size you can essentially team up 01+03 for a walkaround/street type photography.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, kit, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got my Q7 and if you liked the Q at all.... imtheguy Pentax Q 13 10-07-2013 05:31 AM
Just got my Pentax Q... have questions! ChopperCharles Pentax Q 11 12-21-2012 06:23 AM
Just got my Pentax Q with prime lens jacpat1234 Pentax Q 8 08-29-2012 02:40 AM
Got to play with the K-01 and the Q: My impressions JinDesu Pentax K-01 15 03-25-2012 07:51 AM
Just got my Q suncrimson Pentax Q 3 10-04-2011 08:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top