Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess this is a case of YMMV.
Once I spent extra money to import a 01 lens from Japan, I find the Q7 to be reasonably pocket-able, and thus my Canon Elph has been unofficially moved to the "in case of 'emergency' only", collection.

Neither camera has any zoom, and I can adjust ISO in the Olympus only by changing film.
Actually with the 01 lens on the Q7 you do have a zoom. It's called a "shoe leather" zoom. It does have some limits such as when taking shots over water or up into the sky.

I have shown these images before in other threads when folks have asked about the Q's pocketability but these demonstrate how easily it fits into a pocket.
The first image shows my shirt the Q7 with 01 lens and lens cap completely in the shirt pocket. I do not think it would fit into a woman's blouse pocket because they are usually smaller.

This second image shows the camera partially pulled out of the pocket to demonstrate how it fits into the pocket.

This final image shows me wearing my Wrangler vest at a motorcycle event. In one inside pocket is the Q7 and 02 lens. In the other is the 06 lens. This vest was made by removing the sleeves from a Wrangler denim jacket. I also have a jacket to wear when it gets cooler. While a casual observer would not recognize it, I have been patted down on several occassions when the police at the gate thought I was attempting to bring a weapon onto the grounds.
Obviously I do not attempt to carry the Q7 in my jeans pockets but with the 01 lens it does fit quite nicely in a sports coat or suit coat.

Last edited by CWRailman; 08-06-2015 at 03:12 PM.
08-06-2015, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Your probably in a very niche area here,
Yes.
As a matter of fact I don't particularly want a Q I want a full featured ILC body with a small sensor.
Size really doesn't matter. After all at these magnifications, 35-60x, it's always going to be mounted on the back end of a large tripod mounted glass anyway.
If it comes right down to it what a need is a K3 body with a 1 inch sensor and a EVF that displays focus peaking. It's technically doable but it will never be made - too small a market.

This is not to say the Q is a dog even for my purposes it's just not optimal.

As a matter of fact it's pretty amazing what you can get out of a sensor that's half the size of a postage stamp...

... a young sparrow right at the cusp of entering adulthood - I think I'm at the limit of what the Q can do with the current sensor with this pic.

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.
08-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Can you explain what benefit the Nikon 1 would have over the Q7? In the DPReviews of this series they do not show much improvement over the Q7 and costs about twice as much. IMHO, based on the Nikon 1 I tried to use prior to getting involved with the Q series, the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe a Panasonic GM-5 which is small like the Q7 and produces better image quality in both JPG and RAW but again it costs about twice as much as the Q7.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 11:24 AM ----------

The Sony is a nice compact camera but the biggest reason it cannot be considered is that it does not have interchangeable lenses which in itself add to the physical size of the camera, nor can you screw a filter onto the lens so there is no protection when the lens is open. (That is one of my main complaints about compact cameras.) While it does have a tilting LCD, it does not have a flip screen. If you went in that direction you might consider the Panasonic GM-5 which also does not have a flip screen but does have EVF and interchangeable lenses which are not that much larger than the Q series lenses and lists for a hundred dollars or so less than the Sony. .
Ha! No I can't as I had brain fade and replied to a wrong post. Consider my reply totally irrelevant ;-)

J

---------- Post added 07-08-15 at 06:57 AM ----------

[SIZE=3]Actually with the 01 lens on the Q7 you do have a zoom. It's called a "shoe leather" zoom. It does have some limits such as when taking shots over water or up into the sky.
Well yes, but it's only partly true/useful.
It doesn't alter depth perspective like the difference between an 08 and an 06 would. I had these two lenses with me in Bruges, Belgium recently. There was a water fountain in the foreground and a gazebo in the background, I had my 08 lens on at the time. To make the gazebo more relevant (bigger) I had to put on the long zoom and then step further back to size the fountain back to the size I originally had it with the 08. The fixed 01 would have had totally the wrong perspective.
Zooming isn't always just for size.

Last edited by jethro10; 08-06-2015 at 11:11 PM.
08-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good point. One of the most annoying of cliches is "zoom with your feet". Fact is, you can't most of the time for the kind of photos I make.

08-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Good point. One of the most annoying of cliches is "zoom with your feet". Fact is, you can't most of the time for the kind of photos I make.
Almost any pocket camera requires certain compromises. My Canon Elph was the only one that provided any zoom at all, at the cost of image quality; in particular, I always noticed that (Caucasian) faces were badly washed out for any picture taken under sunlight. I considered various other digital cameras with pancake zoom lenses, but there the compromises consisted of money and diminished other uses for the camera (my Q7 doubles as a birding camera because of the small sensor), so I am quite willing to "zoom with my feet" when I can, since that is basically what I am used to getting from my pocket camera.

---------- Post added 08-07-15 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Yes.
As a matter of fact I don't particularly want a Q I want a full featured ILC body with a small sensor.
Size really doesn't matter. After all at these magnifications, 35-60x, it's always going to be mounted on the back end of a large tripod mounted glass anyway.
If it comes right down to it what a need is a K3 body with a 1 inch sensor and a EVF that displays focus peaking. It's technically doable but it will never be made - too small a market.

This is not to say the Q is a dog even for my purposes it's just not optimal.

As a matter of fact it's pretty amazing what you can get out of a sensor that's half the size of a postage stamp...

... a young sparrow right at the cusp of entering adulthood - I think I'm at the limit of what the Q can do with the current sensor with this pic.
This is a very good picture; what lens were you using??

The basic problem with a 1" sensor is that you'll get much less "telephoto effect" from a particular lens than you get from the 1/1.7" sensor.
08-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #141
Veteran Member

This is a very good picture; what lens were you using??
I use a 560mm scope not a telephoto lens.

The basic problem with a 1" sensor is that you'll get much less "telephoto effect" from a particular lens than you get from the 1/1.7" sensor.
For my take on this see:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/299366-look...ml#post3309360

A few more taken with the Q-S1

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.
08-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful images wildman. I also like your take on bird photography. I find the Q and Pentax DA*300 to be about the least amount of magnification that is useful for smaller birds. The Q is a godsend for skittish birds. Have had some luck with 4/3 and aps-c on a Celestron 5" cat.
Thanks
barondla

08-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I use a 560mm scope not a telephoto lens.

For my take on this see:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/299366-look...ml#post3309360
I totally agree with you. There are always tradeoffs in taking wildlife pictures, in both cost and in mobility. A major reason I went with the Q7 is that it forms the basis of a small, mobile birding system that I can take on walks with my wife (and my walking stick doubles as a monopod to provide a certain amount of stability).

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Beautiful images wildman. I also like your take on bird photography. I find the Q and Pentax DA*300 to be about the least amount of magnification that is useful for smaller birds. The Q is a godsend for skittish birds.
I looked into the Pentax lens, but I haven't been able to convince myself to buy a lens without an aperture ring (my adapter doesn't have one), so I've been using a Sigma 70-300mm APO lens, which scores almost as well,
08-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have shown these images before in other threads when folks have asked about the Q's pocketability but these demonstrate how easily it fits into a pocket.
I appreciate that it works for you, but I'd have to quibble over your use of the word "easily". It looks awkward to me. I have a black canvas vest that's not too different from your denim vest. I can stuff the Q7 with an 01 lens into a pocket, but it's clunky and doesn't slip in and out easily. So, I pursued a different solution. . .

The Fuji REAL 3D W3 is the most pocketable of the three. I can easily forget I'm carrying it, and the stereo photos are amazing when viewed on a big-screen 3D TV set. It can do a few other tricks, such as snap a zoomed-in photo and a wide-angle photo simultaneously. Disadvantages. . . It has two truly tiny sensors (1/2.3-inch, 10 MP) and tiny zoom lenses and no RAW option. In terms of 2D image quality it's the most compromised of these cameras.

The Fujifilm XF1 is more of a conventional, premium, compact camera with a 12 MP 2/3-inch sensor and a telescoping zoom lens (6.4-25.6mm, f1.8-4.9). It's not as fully-featured or nice to to operate as the Q7, and obviously not as versatile as a bag full of lenses, but it's a decent enough all-rounder that does fit into my pocket "easily".

To me, these pocket cameras don't detract from my Q7. I see them more like accessories to it. They add to the flexibility of the system -- and what ties them together is that they all use the same battery. The Fuji NP-50 is the same thing as a Pentax D-LI68, fully interchangeable. I have four batteries to share between them, and I use the Fuji chargers; they plug directly into a wall socket without any cord.
08-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally agree with you. There are always tradeoffs in taking wildlife pictures, in both cost and in mobility. A major reason I went with the Q7 is that it forms the basis of a small, mobile birding system that I can take on walks with my wife (and my walking stick doubles as a monopod to provide a certain amount of stability).

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 12:01 PM ----------

I looked into the Pentax lens, but I haven't been able to convince myself to buy a lens without an aperture ring (my adapter doesn't have one), so I've been using a Sigma 70-300mm APO lens, which scores almost as well,
reh321 wouldn't let the adapter stand in the way. Buy a new one with aperture ring. Unless you are buying the Pentax oem adapter, the others can be had for less than $40. The lens shade costs more than that to replace on the DA*300.
thanks
barondla
08-11-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The Future Q -- what's your take?
After all these posts...
....Troubled.
08-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #147

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
The Fujifilm XF1 is more of a conventional, premium, compact camera with a 12 MP 2/3-inch sensor and a telescoping zoom lens (6.4-25.6mm, f1.8-4.9). It's not as fully-featured or nice to to operate as the Q7, and obviously not as versatile as a bag full of lenses, but it's a decent enough all-rounder that does fit into my pocket "easily".

To me, these pocket cameras don't detract from my Q7. I see them more like accessories to it. They add to the flexibility of the system -- and what ties them together is that they all use the same battery. The Fuji NP-50 is the same thing as a Pentax D-LI68, fully interchangeable. I have four batteries to share between them, and I use the Fuji chargers; they plug directly into a wall socket without any cord.
For my wife and I, our overseas travel kit is two Q-S1 bodies with 01, 02, 06 and 08 lenses plus a Fujifilm XF1. The Fuji stays in a belt case, always with me. The Q's and lenses and extra batteries and a polarizer are in tiny bags whenever we go out on the street. The fact the they all take the same, limited capacity battery is what make it all work just fine.
08-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #148
Veteran Member

the K-3II bodys functions, normal Q size, WR, flippy screen, thank you. I will buy it. EVF to pop on the hotshoe would be cool too.
Astrotracer...(i nearly forgot to mention)
08-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #149
Forum Member

Actually with the 01 lens on the Q7 you do have a zoom. It's called a "shoe leather" zoom. It does have some limits such as when taking shots over water or up into the sky.

The first image shows my shirt the Q7 with 01 lens and lens cap completely in the shirt pocket. I do not think it would fit into a woman's blouse pocket because they are usually smaller.

This second image shows the camera partially pulled out of the pocket to demonstrate how it fits into the pocket.

This final image shows me wearing my Wrangler vest at a motorcycle event. In one inside pocket is the Q7 and 02 lens. In the other is the 06 lens. This vest was made by removing the sleeves from a Wrangler denim jacket. I also have a jacket to wear when it gets cooler. While a casual observer would not recognize it, I have been patted down on several occassions when the police at the gate thought I was attempting to bring a weapon onto the grounds.
Obviously I do not attempt to carry the Q7 in my jeans pockets but with the 01 lens it does fit quite nicely in a sports coat or suit coat.
Good demo of how pocketable it can be. It's my go-to travel system, hands down, due to the creative possibilities afforded by the 01, 03, 06, and 08 coupled with its great stowability.

I'd give GOOD money, however, for a 28mm equivalent pancake. I would then have a camera that would EASILY slip into a pants pocket, while giving me the same FOV as my GR.

At that point, it truly would be the ultimate travel camera.
08-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #150
Pentaxian

This thread has been going for a while now.
We have gone 08 (a well thought out, good quality UWA that is not selling that well due to price and small user base)
There has been the tele macro which at this point seems KIV.
As for camera models, its QS1 which is the same sensor as the Q7.
Then nothing.......

In this short term retrospect, my take now is that the Q system is largely considered 'closed'.
Just like the Pentax 110 system, its gotta end somewhere/sometime.
Its not uncomprehensive like the 110 too, since its already covering UWA 08; walk about zoom 02; Normal (01); tele (06); fisheye

However, with the temporary silence on the Q system, I believe Pentax is seriously thinking where this system should move on to.
Larger sensor? EVF? Attractive to Layman or enthusiast market? etc

Personally, I like a larger sensor with current lenses working in crop (Q7 mode).
Form factor is fine, though it can be a little bit bigger.
Next would be be lenses.
Complete the macro and add an extreme tele.
Perhaps a pancake 21mm eq.