Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
But then it wouldn't use the Q-mount and thus not be a Q.
I bow to your knowledge on how these things work (I am very new to this). Is there no-way a APS-C sensor could be put into a Q-type body (as it is in the similar-sized GR) and still use the Q-mount for lenses? I only hope as I love the Q-S1, but really wish I could get the quality and crop that the GR allows. Drat the technical realities getting in the way of my dreams!

03-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
I bow to your knowledge on how these things work (I am very new to this). Is there no-way a APS-C sensor could be put into a Q-type body (as it is in the similar-sized GR) and still use the Q-mount for lenses? I only hope as I love the Q-S1, but really wish I could get the quality and crop that the GR allows. Drat the technical realities getting in the way of my dreams!
If you look at the rear lens element of a Q lens, and then look at the sensor inside the Q-S1 body, you will see that the element just barely covers the size of the sensor. There can't even be a Q with a 1" sensor that will utilize the current lens lineup.

You can get a small Nikon 1 system body like the J4, which is of similar size to the Q, and has better image quality thanks to the 1" sensor. And, the Nikon 1's kit zoom is just a smidgen larger than the Q's!

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-11-2015 at 07:52 PM.
03-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #18

I just wish the Q had better lowlight performance. I swear my wife gets better pictures with her iphone indoors. I really like my Q10 but have learned not to bother indoors.
03-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EVF or no deal.

03-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
I just wish the Q had better lowlight performance. I swear my wife gets better pictures with her iphone indoors. I really like my Q10 but have learned not to bother indoors.
A couple of things come to mind:

- The iPhone might have a faster lens, and thus can shoot at lower ISO than your Q, depending on which lens you are using.

- The iPhone might be applying heavier noise reduction.

I'm pretty comfortable shooting up to ISO 800 indoors with my Q7.

03-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That speed-booster idea is an interesting one. I can just see me using my A50/1.2 on my Q, with all its attendant bokeh and (hopefully) not much of its sharpness lost. Someone should be able to do that now. It's be a heftily negative lens or array, but there's substantial space to play with.

A higher-resolution sensor might be in order to maximum the benefits, but with such options, the Q might move out of the novelty area, into the (mirrorless) mainstream!
03-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can get a small Nikon 1 system body like the J4, which is of similar size to the Q, and has better image quality thanks to the 1" sensor. And, the Nikon 1's kit zoom is just a smidgen larger than the Q's!
the 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 VR for the Nikon 1, according to Nikon, is: Approx. 57.5 x 42mm when collapsed (weight: 115g)
the Q 5-15mm f2.8-4.5 on the other hand is 48.26 x 48.26mm (weight: 96.1g)

so the N1J4 kit lens is a little shorter but also fatter and a bit heavier. It's hard to compare systems really, but it packs a heavier punch than the Q in terms of burst speed, video features like Full HD 60fps and 720p 120fps slow-mo, hybrid AF, and probably a bigger buffer even with a bigger-resolution sensor (18.4mp)

The Q guys still have a lot of catching-up to do

03-12-2015, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For whatever worth, the iphone 5s' camera is a 4.12mm, f/2.2, 1/3" sensor size.
03-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
the 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 VR for the Nikon 1, according to Nikon, is: Approx. 57.5 x 42mm when collapsed (weight: 115g)
the Q 5-15mm f2.8-4.5 on the other hand is 48.26 x 48.26mm (weight: 96.1g)

so the N1J4 kit lens is a little shorter but also fatter and a bit heavier. It's hard to compare systems really, but it packs a heavier punch than the Q in terms of burst speed, video features like Full HD 60fps and 720p 120fps slow-mo, hybrid AF, and probably a bigger buffer even with a bigger-resolution sensor (18.4mp)

The Q guys still have a lot of catching-up to do
My concern is, how much market is there for the Q? Does Ricoh/Pentax feel that it is worth developing the system further? AFAIK, there is no better 1/1.7" sensor available... can Sony develop a successor that has more megapickles but retains all of the same characteristics of the current sensor? Why isn't there a super-long tele available, to exploit a benefit of the Q's crop factor? A 600/4 would be pretty awesome.

Q: If the Q system is designed primarily for the Japanese market, how does the Japanese consumer use the Q? Tinkerers, like so many here on PF, or just use the retail kit?

Q: Is there a benefit to Ricoh to return the Q system to its roots, with a magnesium-alloy body, and design lenses that have the build quality of the 02, rather than the flimsier construction of the 06? Make the camera simply a pleasure to hold, an object worth owning as well as worth using.
03-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
For whatever worth, the iphone 5s' camera is a 4.12mm, f/2.2, 1/3" sensor size.
it would be interesting if Pentax could acquire a version of that sensor for Q use. the iPhone 5s is/was regarded as one of the, if not the best cell phone camera out there. It's buffer is quick, its FPS is very quick, and the contrast/color is generally pretty good. obviously low light not so much. But if Pentax could put their usual charm on it, what could it be when coupled with SR and the 01 lens?

The follow up is, how much of the iphone cameras performance is software or hardware based.
03-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
it would be interesting if Pentax could acquire a version of that sensor for Q use. the iPhone 5s is/was regarded as one of the, if not the best cell phone camera out there. It's buffer is quick, its FPS is very quick, and the contrast/color is generally pretty good. obviously low light not so much. But if Pentax could put their usual charm on it, what could it be when coupled with SR and the 01 lens?

The follow up is, how much of the iphone cameras performance is software or hardware based.
But that iPhone sensor is less than half the size of the 1/1.7" sensor in the latest Q. And everything outside of the sensor assembly itself is Apple's doing, anyway.
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

But that iPhone sensor is less than half the size of the 1/1.7" sensor in the latest Q. And everything outside of the sensor assembly itself is Apple's doing, anyway.
A larger chip variant of that sensor may be interesting. The thing is how much of the iphones quality is based on the sensor, the lens, or software?
03-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian

New Q Wishlist?

1. WR
2. EVF
3. WiFi
4. Higher resolution rear display
5. Return to original magnesium body.

Just the top three would make me happy.

Also, don't forget to build that really nice macro lens you promised.
03-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
New Q Wishlist?

1. WR
2. EVF
3. WiFi
4. Higher resolution rear display
5. Return to original magnesium body.

Just the top three would make me happy.

Also, don't forget to build that really nice macro lens you promised.
How much would you/we pay for that camera?

IIRC the original Q was laughed out of the party because it was 'overpriced'. The plastic-body Q10 was the response and the Q7 was the upgrade cycle camera.

I personally would like a q-style camera with GR DNA (IOW an interchangeable lens GR).
03-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Just had another thought, along the lines of the Speedbooster .... It would be kinda funny for someone to come up with a mFT or Nikon 1-mount to Q adapter. mFT and Nikon 1 bodies are kind of "selfish" in that they can use almost everyone else's lenses, but you can't put mFT or Nikon 1 lenses on any other bodies since the flange distance is so short -- but they could work on a Q!

Sony E-mount lenses wouldn't offer any advantage over Pentax APSC lenses, it would be more about bragging rights. (Take that, Sony fanboys! )

The mFT and Nikon 1 systems are a bit closer in terms of usual focal length, size, and weight to the Q system, so those would make a little more sense than adapting APSC lenses. It should be quite easy for Metabones and the other manufacturers to create a focal length reducer to go from mFT or Nikon 1 to the Q mount.

One problem, I suppose, is that the mFT lenses require an active electronic mount in order to power the focus-by-wire system. And one problem with the Nikon 1 system is that it doesn't have many lenses, so there wouldn't be much of an accessible market. So maybe this is a dumb idea .... Threadjack over.