Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #61
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton, Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
My take on it is to improve the Pentax Q without loosing its biggest advantage over other camera systems. For me that's portability. I can do without an EVF if it means that that the Q will stay compact.
It is possible for there to be more than one Q model. I'd love to see the Super Q produced in addition to the regular line. Again I'm thinking of what Olympus has done. When they brought in the OM-D, they didn't jettison the PEN.

I'd like to imagine the Q lineup becoming more and more important in Pentax's future, particularly as small-sensor technology improves. That does presume cooperative suppliers, though.

03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #62
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here's the thing, though: that $400 could have bought you an Olympus EPM2 + kit lens, and it could have produced your photo with better IQ. If we are comparing the Q system with other systems based solely on a price-vs-performance, the Q will lose. The Q has its own charms and abilities that are readily duplicated by other systems, and IMO Pentax should play to those strengths.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 10:35 PM ----------



I appreciate your well-considered reply.

re: the magnesium-alloy body of the original Q, I don't think that accounts for the fact that it was so expensive. I believe Pentax really wanted to milk the early adopters. I bet many enQusiasts would pay $100 for a "premium" body, and I bet even more frivolous users who are accustomed to nice things would pay that, also. And I doubt the mag-alloy body costs $100 more to produce than the plastic body of the succeeding Q's.

I think many of us believe that the Q7 is aimed at "primarily Japanese girls" with the implication that they have little interest in the camera other than as a step-up from their smartphones. I'm hoping that a large segment of Q users are enthusiasts who consider the Q to be "serious" as well as "fun", and that Pentax will see this and throw us a few bones.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 10:42 PM ----------



AFAIK, only Fuji makes a 2/3" sensor any more.
thanks for the insight too! Right now I still don't have a Q but I'm starting to see just how fun using it could be. But like you said, it would depend on how and who Ricoh really sees the target market for the Q is. We can only hope for the next push after the FF has been released, or if more Ricoh R&D tech finds its way down the pipes toward the Q system.
04-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #63
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 388
IMHO the next Q has got to have:

WR Body and an according WR short Kit-Zoom-Lens with 1.9-2.8
(magnesium alloy)

Support for O-GPS1 Device + Astrotracer function

WIFI+NFC

High-Speed Burst Mode

Built in GPS

+all the features from the Q-S1

And yes we need some other design for the body. I also think the Q-S1 is some kind of ugly. Some may find it looks nice but you can be assured it is not a beauty contest winner.
04-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #64
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
IMHO the next Q has got to have:

WR Body and an according WR short Kit-Zoom-Lens with 1.9-2.8
(magnesium alloy)

Support for O-GPS1 Device + Astrotracer function

WIFI+NFC

High-Speed Burst Mode

Built in GPS

+all the features from the Q-S1

And yes we need some other design for the body. I also think the Q-S1 is some kind of ugly. Some may find it looks nice but you can be assured it is not a beauty contest winner.
I'm quite sure it doesn't have to have all that or even any of that! As you've stated.
If we get a tilt high res screen and wifi I'll count it lucky. Dream on for a fast kit lens like that ;-) best you'll get that way is it will be called an 09 or 10 perhaps, at many $$$$

J

04-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #65
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I'm quite sure it doesn't have to have all that or even any of that! As you've stated.
If we get a tilt high res screen and wifi I'll count it lucky. Dream on for a fast kit lens like that ;-) best you'll get that way is it will be called an 09 or 10 perhaps, at many $$$$

J
A flippy screen is the only thing i do not feel any need for.

But I am sure many pentaxians appreciate your optimistic visions. Of really no progress.
Ah, those optimists like you, where would the pentax community be without them?



04-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #66
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
A flippy screen is the only thing i do not feel any need for
Perhaps not for you, but those of us who use a Q for Street Photography, or something similar, a flippy screen would make it much much easier to be discrete (looking down at the camera, and seeming to fiddle while actually taking the picture). Give it enough flip, and it also becomes more useable for the teenagers who are so much into pictures of their selfies.
04-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #67
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
A flippy screen is the only thing i do not feel any need for.

But I am sure many pentaxians appreciate your optimistic visions. Of really no progress.
Ah, those optimists like you, where would the pentax community be without them?

The threads title seemed more to reflect expected realism. It's what I gave. After all look at the Q-s1 which seems like no upgrade!

Your reply seemed more like a "wish list" that almost certainly is unrealistic.

To answer the thread question properly, to me I looked at what the Q lacked compared to the competition and the likely audience that seems to be young Asians and their current desires and fashion.
It's not about optimism or pessimism.

A flip screen, for selfies seems to be a necessity now. As for the lens. Kit lenses are cheap. They have to be too make a camera competitive. Several manufacturers make more expensive and better quality kit like lenses that they sell after the camera. This was my reasoning for calling it an 09 or 10. I hope they do make that lens, I'll have one right away :-)

As for you not wanting a flip screen, I could also do without it, but I bet it's getting more serious consideration than making a waterproof Q.

So there you go, more meat on the bones of my reasoning.

So probably ignore it as I'm sure pentax will make something completely different again!
J
04-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
There are two different types of "wants" here. Those for the popular consumer market and those desired by many of us here on PF that have adaptive, pro-sumer or technical uses for this IL system.

Its compact size and adaptable lens choices makes it attractive as a highly portable technical system and for use in close quarters. The crop factor makes it a popular choice for relatively extreme telephoto uses with economical lenses.

Both uses call for an upgraded LCD screen capable of critical focusing (compared to merely composing) which the present 420K screen does not provide. A tilt-screen would be helpful, but not for focusing without the higher pixel count of the present DSLR 3" screens.

Other technical accommodations are to provide for a wired, electronic remote shutter and tethering, whether by wireless or cable. The IR remote is somewhat problematic for many applications.

At some point there would be an opportunity to offer a universal remote monitor provided a dedicated, universal data/video out port (such as USB or Bluetooth) becomes a common feature of most if not all bodies. Sync'ed to an iPad or Android tablet perhaps?

None of these is critical for success in the apparent popular market for the Q so incentive to provide for a limited technical market is slim to none.

04-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #69
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

None of these is critical for success in the apparent popular market for the Q so incentive to provide for a limited technical market is slim to none.
This seems to be the main crux of the issue.
They are only likely (understandably) to design improvements for the mass market.

J
04-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #70
Veteran Member
patarok's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
The threads title seemed more to reflect expected realism. It's what I gave. After all look at the Q-s1 which seems like no upgrade!

Your reply seemed more like a "wish list" that almost certainly is unrealistic.

To answer the thread question properly, to me I looked at what the Q lacked compared to the competition and the likely audience that seems to be young Asians and their current desires and fashion.
It's not about optimism or pessimism.

A flip screen, for selfies seems to be a necessity now. As for the lens. Kit lenses are cheap. They have to be too make a camera competitive. Several manufacturers make more expensive and better quality kit like lenses that they sell after the camera. This was my reasoning for calling it an 09 or 10. I hope they do make that lens, I'll have one right away :-)

As for you not wanting a flip screen, I could also do without it, but I bet it's getting more serious consideration than making a waterproof Q.

So there you go, more meat on the bones of my reasoning.

So probably ignore it as I'm sure pentax will make something completely different again!
J
There are little mirrors that double as a protection. You can buy one of those if you have problems getting nice views on the street.

not that i want to nag at you, but this "realism" nearly killed the FF.

i could live with Weather-Resistant.

Besides that, the real upgrade will be the option for an EVF on the next Q. The Pentax Double Team(you know those 2 guys where one has got this mark in has face) once stated that this would be kinda great idea for the next generation of the Q. So i guess this will be next on the menu.
And i have a very good feelings when i think about NFC+Wlan. I hope this will get standard for all the Pentax-Products. K-S1 has WLAN at least. the WG-M1 has wlan. The K-S2 has WLAN and NFC...
04-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,433
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
This seems to be the main crux of the issue.
They are only likely (understandably) to design improvements for the mass market.

J
At one time the strategy was to make Q a capable tiny MILC and deemphasize fun. I think they're not quite sure what to do since Q has apparently become a fun camera in Japan.
04-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #72
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
There are two different types of "wants" here. Those for the popular consumer market and those desired by many of us here on PF that have adaptive, pro-sumer or technical uses for this IL system.
Its compact size and adaptable lens choices makes it attractive as a highly portable technical system and for use in close quarters. The crop factor makes it a popular choice for relatively extreme telephoto uses with economical lenses.

Both uses call for an upgraded LCD screen capable of critical focusing (compared to merely composing) which the present 420K screen does not provide. A tilt-screen would be helpful, but not for focusing without the higher pixel count of the present DSLR 3" screens.

Other technical accommodations are to provide for a wired, electronic remote shutter and tethering, whether by wireless or cable. The IR remote is somewhat problematic for many applications.

At some point there would be an opportunity to offer a universal remote monitor provided a dedicated, universal data/video out port (such as USB or Bluetooth) becomes a common feature of most if not all bodies. Sync'ed to an iPad or Android tablet perhaps?

None of these is critical for success in the apparent popular market for the Q so incentive to provide for a limited technical market is slim to none.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At one time the strategy was to make Q a capable tiny MILC and deemphasize fun. I think they're not quite sure what to do since Q has apparently become a fun camera in Japan.
I'm not convinced that we're always talking about two different sets of "wants" here; for example

(1) An EVF may not fit in, but cell phone manufacturers often compete on the quality of their screens - and one of the purposes seems to be so that kids can display their pictures better - so a tilting LCD with higher pixel count would help us to focus/compose better and would fit into the wants of fun-loving kids.

(2) IR may not fit in, but some kind of wireless control /tethering would help us, and would help fun-loving kids to get their photos onto the Internet faster.

Thus, many features that would make the camera more attractive to people like us would also help it to compete in the mass market.
It does not always have to be one or the other.
04-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321:
It does not always have to be one or the other.
Perhaps not, but you'd best present your argument for changes with the POV of the majority of the consumers in mind. No doubt there's design engineers considering many uses, but you still have to convince the money comptrollers to commit to changes. They don't seem inclined to listen to the very small percentage of users that frequent this web site.
04-10-2015, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Perhaps not, but you'd best present your argument for changes with the POV of the majority of the consumers in mind. No doubt there's design engineers considering many uses, but you still have to convince the money comptrollers to commit to changes. They don't seem inclined to listen to the very small percentage of users that frequent this web site.
The truth probably is that they don't hang out here listening to what we say. Most likely we're trying to guess what they are thinking and trying to see how we can make good use of a tool that is not actually intended for us. That is why I bought a Q7 and an enlarging hood - because my reading of their goals led me to believe that I'll need to cope without an EVF.

But if I were going to make a presentation to them, I would tell them that hitting two market segments with just one feature is a good move. I would point out that cell phones are going to better and better LCDs, so they should think in that direction also if they want to remain more than competitive with cell phone cameras (and, ps, that would be good for serious photographers also). I would point out that most images taken by kids are intended for the Internet, so wireless connectivity would enable the camera to remain more than competitive with cell phone cameras (and, ps, build it right and that would be good for serious photographers also). I would point out that a flippy screen on a camera makes it much easier to take a good selfie with the camera than the features cell phones usually stick their users with (and, ps, it would make the camera better for street photographers also). I would point our that kids don't have the sense to come in out of the rain, they just keep having fun and would like to keep taking pictures without ruining their equipment, so extending WR to the Q-family would enable it to remain more than competitive with (wimpy) cell phone cameras (and, ps, serious photographers sometimes don't have the option of working in nice weather also).

Last edited by reh321; 04-10-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: extend the thought
04-10-2015, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #75
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
not that i want to nag at you, but this "realism" nearly killed the FF.
..
Ha! I'm quite sure my realistic approach had zero affect on what is happening in one niche of camera development mostly on the other side of the world from me.
It's all about money, no more, no less. Always has been always will be.
J
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, church, future, grip, kit, lens, lenses, mirrorless, model, nikon, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, sensor, video, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your take on the Da 70 vs Fa77 or the upstart Samyang 85? Canmannac Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 01-03-2014 11:52 AM
What's the weirdest thing that's ever been in your camera bag? ASheffield General Talk 50 11-26-2013 05:11 AM
What's the first thing you did with your Q when it arrived? Lowell Goudge Pentax Q 22 04-18-2013 03:24 AM
What's your support for your Q? Clicker Pentax Q 4 05-03-2012 10:59 AM
New-York trip: what shot do you take ? what's the best spot? TanGU Photographic Technique 47 07-24-2010 08:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top