Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Actually, I would take any news from Pentax about future plans for the Q! Because it's not exactly clear that Pentax still see any future in it... Or is willing to make this future bright. It looks more like squeezing the last drops from the lemon before throwing it away.

Obviously, a few more quality lenses are badly needed; as is an updated more compact standard zoom. A wide angle prime, an high aperture (like 1.2) standard prime, and portrait/macro prime would transform the system. Yes, I know, the macro is supposed to be on its way but we have no idean when it will be available, if ever.

As for a new body, I immediately think of a better LCD screen, about 1MP being standard today on any decent camera. Improved blur control, autofocus and general reactivity in line with competition would also be nice.

I don't know if it would be possible but, what about adding the Clarity feature of the KS-2 ? As far as I understand it, it's only software and should not be that costly to integrate in a Q...

Although it's certainly not useful for most Q users, wireless TTL flash control would be something that I would certainly like to see and use. Again, it's only a matter of adding an already existing piece of software; this should not cost a fortune in R&D...

07-25-2015, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Now micro four thirds have a selection of lenses that are only slightly larger, and some even slimmer then the Q lens equivalents. I can get a similar setup. But ultimately I wanted a slim zoom and a 35mm pancake to suits my needs.
Actually, not to take anything away from the Q series but in the Micro 4/3 environment there is a lot of lenses because you can use lenses from Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. If you have an Olympus camera which has the built in image stabilization then you can use any lenses no problem. If you have a Panasonic system which relies on the stabilization built into the lenses then using an Olympus lens means no image stabilization. Otherwise everything is fully functional. (That's why if going in that direction the Olympus is a better choice.) I have no idea how many different lenses but I know itís near 30. But the Micro 4/3 system is larger and heavier than the Q and definitely NOT pocketable and the cost is substantially more than the Q system.

---------- Post added 07-25-15 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jwills1213 Quote
From an interview it sounds like Pentax-Ricoh's vision of mirrorless is that small size is more important image quality. So I doubt we will see a Pentax Q with a larger sensor anytime in the near future.
While I am not sure if that is what Pentax thinks of the complete mirrorless market but I believe that is how they see the Q series positioned within that market.

One needs to consider and understand the Qís target market which originally was folks who wanted something better then could be achieved with their cell phone yet do not want a brick hanging around their neck or anything that distracts from their look. At the time Pentax thought they had the answer and they thought people would pay a premium price for such a camera and that was reflected in the high price of the original Q. Itís quite fashionable to be seen with a small stylish camera instead of something like a DSLR that dominates your look. If you remember the publicity photo's they showed the camera being carried on her hip by a female who wore it like a purse. Unfortunately people into photography, especially the pixel peepers, do not understand this and they clamor to make the Q something it was not designed to be. Those are the people who would ask why there are no pockets in a woman's formal gown. They have completely missed the point of the Q series. For those folks, based on what I have read and reread on this forum they might be better suited to look at one of the Micro 4/3 cameras such as the Olympus E-M10 which someone mentioned and have all the features such as EVF and flip screens that they are looking for. No we probably will not see a host of lenses from Pentax because just like the Pentax 110 film camera series, this camera, is not designed for the serious photographer and so far, no other lens manufactures have demonstrated any interest in producing lenses for the Q mount system.

I am more wondering what Pentax will do to answer the new cell phones coming out that have some of the features currently available on the Q. I would suspect one change being considered is easier posting of images to social media.

On the other hand, there has been some talk in the photographic community about smaller camera companies merging. It is predicted that if camera sales continue to fall off this will happen. A likely candidate for such a merge would be Pentax and Olympus which would give the resulting company products in the three completely different formats.
07-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Actually, not to take anything away from the Q series but in the Micro 4/3 environment there is a lot of lenses because you can use lenses from Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. If you have an Olympus camera which has the built in image stabilization then you can use any lenses no problem. If you have a Panasonic system which relies on the stabilization built into the lenses then using an Olympus lens means no image stabilization. Otherwise everything is fully functional. (That's why if going in that direction the Olympus is a better choice.) I have no idea how many different lenses but I know itís near 30. But the Micro 4/3 system is larger and heavier than the Q and definitely NOT pocketable and the cost is substantially more than the Q system.

---------- Post added 07-25-15 at 11:40 AM ----------

While I am not sure if that is what Pentax thinks of the complete mirrorless market but I believe that is how they see the Q series positioned within that market.

One needs to consider and understand the Qís target market which originally was folks who wanted something better then could be achieved with their cell phone yet do not want a brick hanging around their neck or anything that distracts from their look. At the time Pentax thought they had the answer and they thought people would pay a premium price for such a camera and that was reflected in the high price of the original Q. Itís quite fashionable to be seen with a small stylish camera instead of something like a DSLR that dominates your look. If you remember the publicity photo's they showed the camera being carried on her hip by a female who wore it like a purse. Unfortunately people into photography, especially the pixel peepers, do not understand this and they clamor to make the Q something it was not designed to be. Those are the people who would ask why there are no pockets in a woman's formal gown. They have completely missed the point of the Q series. For those folks, based on what I have read and reread on this forum they might be better suited to look at one of the Micro 4/3 cameras such as the Olympus E-M10 which someone mentioned and have all the features such as EVF and flip screens that they are looking for. No we probably will not see a host of lenses from Pentax because just like the Pentax 110 film camera series, this camera, is not designed for the serious photographer and so far, no other lens manufactures have demonstrated any interest in producing lenses for the Q mount system.

I am more wondering what Pentax will do to answer the new cell phones coming out that have some of the features currently available on the Q. I would suspect one change being considered is easier posting of images to social media.

On the other hand, there has been some talk in the photographic community about smaller camera companies merging. It is predicted that if camera sales continue to fall off this will happen. A likely candidate for such a merge would be Pentax and Olympus which would give the resulting company products in the three completely different formats.
Ricoh-Pentax will do what they want with the Q.

My questions in December were determining whether I could use it to fill an otherwise empty niche -
namely a camera which could mate with my K-mount zoom lenses to create a serious birding camera.
The sensors on the m43 cameras are too big for that.
Eventually I did assemble the tools I needed to accomplish my mission.

My comments since then have reflected my personal beliefs of what
Pentax could do to expand the Q's market. Maybe Ricoh-Pentax isn't
interested in going down that path. Since I've bought my camera,
I'm fine with that.
07-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is owned by Ricoh, which absolutely dwarfs Olympus in size and revenue, so there will be no merger.

07-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax is owned by Ricoh, which absolutely dwarfs Olympus in size and revenue, so there will be no merger.
Correct and, besides, Sony would probably not like that
07-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Q series bodies have way too many advanced features to say they are not for serious photographers.
07-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Q series bodies have way too many advanced features to say they are not for serious photographers.
That is very true. It very rich in features some of which are quite interesting but features alone do not produce the image quality that serious photographers demand. However the Q does produce an image better than what cell phones were producing when it was first introduced and the Q7 made an additional improvement over that. Hence the reason for my statement.
07-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #113
Lens Buying Addict

That is very true. It very rich in features some of which are quite interesting but features alone do not produce the image quality that serious photographers demand. However the Q does produce an image better than what cell phones were producing when it was first introduced and the Q7 made an additional improvement over that. Hence the reason for my statement.
Just over two yeats ago we were told the Pentax long-term plan was to build a complete Q system to mimic a larger format SLR system; they wanted to emphasize quality hardware and imaging in a tiny package rather than fun and convenience.

They considered Q the real opportunity for growth in future camera sales and market penetration.

It seems the market has changed dramatically since April, 2013 and their plans for Q may have changed with it.

07-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just over two yeats ago we were told the Pentax long-term plan was to build a complete Q system to mimic a larger format SLR system; they wanted to emphasize quality hardware and imaging in a tiny package rather than fun and convenience.

They considered Q the real opportunity for growth in future camera sales and market penetration.

It seems the market has changed dramatically since April, 2013 and their plans for Q may have changed with it.
You are probably at least partially correct. But I think I remember them listing Q as one of the important parts of their camera line during the flurry of interviews surrounding the FF announcement.
07-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

The market has probably changed, but they seem to have misjudged it from the beginning. The launch price was almost universally panned as being too high. The choice to launch so many toy lenses but before the 06 and 08 lenses didn't help the perception that the system wasn't about image quality, either.
07-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #116
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The launch price was almost universally panned as being too high.
They seem to always price their non-traditional cameras higher than the market will bear - K-01, Q, K-S1 - but they get it right with Ricoh - price at street and hold it there. A GR is still $600, though with a passive optical VF attachment and SD card thrown in.
07-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #117

not tryin to correct u or anything but...the Q has the largest lens list in the history of any camera made....thats why i use it. ^^ (every other lens made for every other camera)
07-27-2015, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xerxal Quote
not tryin to correct u or anything but...the Q has the largest lens list in the history of any camera made....thats why i use it. ^^ (every other lens made for every other camera)
Sure if you want to allow for the compromises required to use all those lenses. In fact many Q users have gotten some excellent results using long telephoto lenses on the Q series. But the same is possible for many of the cameras today as more and more adapters are now available. What we are talking about here is fully functional lens specifically designed for the format and making use of features such as auto focus etc.
07-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #119

[SIZE=3]
[/COLOR]

My statement was based on one from a Pentax interview at Photokina 2014. The information specific to their approach to the mirrorless market can be found here:

https://youtu.be/XK67sMIVVGA?t=359

Also, I agree with you regarding how they originally saw the market for the Pentax Q. The Q system was, by a fair margin the smallest ILC system when it was first launched. However since it's launch competitors have not making huge strides. For example, the Panasonic GM1 and GM5 are very comparable in size to the Q-S1. The m43 system also has some very compact lenses that also compare favorably to those of the Q system.

I Pentax needs to innovate its Q lineup or sales will continue to drop.
07-29-2015, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

To (loosely) borrow from Churchill: Count on Pentax to get it right in the end (pricing/design, etc.)... after they have exhausted all the alternatives!