Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #121
Forum Member

I want any camera with a flip out screen and viewfinder

08-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #122

instead of a flip screen why not waist level finder?? i am not interested in a selfy cam... this solves both of paulcote just stated above ^^.

move the flash shoe to the left side and pop a waist level finder on top in the middle =D (exakta style) put the pop out flash on the left side of the camera. so that the flash pops out perpendicular to the left side of the camera. there would be a rounded bulge on the left just as it is on the right. (this is all from a perspective looking at the back ofc)

another choice is to allow the current flash shoe pop up and have waist lvl finder underneath. =o
08-04-2015, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q-system has many potential uses for technical photography. Its small size, RAW file plus video options and interchangeable lenses suggest uses in many tight spots. A major frustration is the lack of a remote cable release feature and a remote live-view/tethering option allowing it to be placed in otherwise inaccessible locations.

I'm experimenting with both a mechanical cable and a fiber-optic extension cable to allow use of IR remote switches but a conventional wired remote cable port would be a desired solution -- and possibly an easy fix.

A plug-in, high-resolution 3" LCD screen with an accessory remote cable would be nice too.
08-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q uses the normal Pentax IR releases.

08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #125
Veteran Member

• Tilting high rez screen for waist level shooting.
  • Bigger buffer.
  • Faster performance all around.
  • More fast primes.
08-05-2015, 03:40 AM   #126
Pentaxian

For my purposes a 1 inch sensor.
08-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The Q uses the normal Pentax IR releases.
Yes, but . . . recall my statement about "tight places" and "otherwise inaccessible locations"? You have to be able to position those 'normal' IR triggers where the camera sensors can see 'em. And there's also note in the manual (which seems fairly accurate in practice) that the rear sensor is rated for only about 5 cm which is isn't too helpful. Without a mechanical or electric remote capability a fiber optic extension cable is one of the few practicable options.

And while we're re-designing it . . . a ~ 3x3x?" square-ish form-factor could be handy in tight places too.

Last edited by pacerr; 08-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
08-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #128
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For my purposes a 1 inch sensor.
I can appreciate the desire for such a system, but that wouldn't be a Q system anymore. It would be something entirely new (though I suppose you could create such a system to use Q lenses in a crop mode, as certain lenses already are cropped on the Q7 and later).

08-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
I can appreciate the desire for such a system, but that wouldn't be a Q system anymore. It would be something entirely new (though I suppose you could create such a system to use Q lenses in a crop mode, as certain lenses already are cropped on the Q7 and later).
That why I said "for my purposes". I have never used my two Qs with anything other then my 560mm glass
I used the term "Q" in the generic sense of any compact relatively small sensor ILC.

My needs are for detail, accurate tint and good tone and at the present state of the sensor art a 1 inch might do it.

Taken with the Q-S1 - close but no cigar......

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 04:16 AM.
08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #130
Site Supporter

I have been reading through all these wishes and requests for the next Q and realized that a camera with many of these features already exists. While this might be considered heretical let me point out that the Olympus E-M5II has much of what you all want in the way of larger sensor with higher image quality, flip screen, EVF and works with a cord operated remote. ( It can also be operated remotely with a cell phone using the built in Wi-Fi) You can see that to incorporate all of those “wants” the camera is about twice as large as the Q, (by volume) which means it can no longer be even considered as a pocket camera, weighs significantly more and costs about four to five times as much. Knowing all that, doesn’t the existing Q7 look pretty darn good?.
08-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #131

That why I said "for my purposes". I have never used my two Qs with anything other then my 560mm glass
I used the term "Q" in the generic sense of any compact relatively small sensor ILC.

My needs are for detail, accurate tint and good tone and at the present state of the sensor art a 1 inch might do it.

Taken with the Q-S1 - close but no cigar......
Your probably in a very niche area here, I'd hazard a guess that these requirements never appear in the Q development plan.
Perhaps you should look at the Nikon 1 range?

Anyhow, back to my take on the system. I'd live to see more from Pentax but fear the Q is dead :-(
J
08-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
You can see that to incorporate all of those “wants” the camera is about twice as large as the Q, (by volume) which means it can no longer be even considered as a pocket camera
Considering the Sony includes an advanced zoom lens and a EVF I don't see why a 1 inch sensor ILC need be any bigger or heaver than a Q....

Last edited by wildman; 08-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.
08-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #133
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Perhaps you should look at the Nikon 1 range?
Can you explain what benefit the Nikon 1 would have over the Q7? In the DPReviews of this series they do not show much improvement over the Q7 and costs about twice as much. IMHO, based on the Nikon 1 I tried to use prior to getting involved with the Q series, the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe a Panasonic GM-5 which is small like the Q7 and produces better image quality in both JPG and RAW but again it costs about twice as much as the Q7.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 11:24 AM ----------

Considering the Sony includes an advanced zoom lens and a EVF I don't see why a 1 inch sensor ILC need be any bigger or heaver than a Q....
The Sony is a nice compact camera but the biggest reason it cannot be considered is that it does not have interchangeable lenses which in itself add to the physical size of the camera, nor can you screw a filter onto the lens so there is no protection when the lens is open. (That is one of my main complaints about compact cameras.) While it does have a tilting LCD, it does not have a flip screen. If you went in that direction you might consider the Panasonic GM-5 which also does not have a flip screen but does have EVF and interchangeable lenses which are not that much larger than the Q series lenses and lists for a hundred dollars or so less than the Sony. .
08-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #134
Forum Member

or the Olympus OMD EM 10 which is not that expensive but it would be hard for me to sell all my Q stuff. I don't find the Q that pocketable myself.
08-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #135
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
or the Olympus OMD EM 10 which is not that expensive but it would be hard for me to sell all my Q stuff. I don't find the Q that pocketable myself.
I guess this is a case of YMMV.
Once I spent extra money to import a 01 lens from Japan, I find the Q7 to be reasonably pocket-able, and thus my Canon Elph has been unofficially moved to the "in case of 'emergency' only", collection.

added:
My last film pocket camera was an Olympus "clam shell" camera. It was sleeker than the Q7, but the Q7 is very slightly smaller in width and height, and only in depth is the Q7 larger (by about 3/4"). Neither camera has any zoom, and I can adjust ISO in the Olympus only by changing film. The Olympus has very limited controls as compared to the Q7, whose controls are virtually the same as my K30 DSLR. The Canon Elph also has very limited controls. The Q7 is by far the best camera I've ever carried around in my pocket.

Last edited by reh321; 08-06-2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add to thought