Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 01:40 AM   #76

The weather sealing will probably never happen.The cost of weather sealing will rise the price too much as the Q is a cheap to manufacture camera it does not make sense.

I would like it, but seeing as none of my lenses are weather sealed there's no point and I am not going to re-buy the same lenses again, Nikon tried with the AW1 and it never took off. Like the Nikon, I can see people buying a weather sealed Q putting on the 02 lens then complaining when the sensor gets soggy.

The competition for cheap micro mirrorless cameras is hotting up, and all manufacturers are starting to produce tiny but advanced cameras.
The real strength was in the Q's lenses being so much smaller and lighter but they have pretty much lost that advantage with the new Panasonic and Olympus lenses. Pentax has not bothered to produce any more lenses and now people are going to the shops looking at the Pentax and no longer thinking it's that small.

For the Q to survive it need a feature set to go against the competition like the Panasonic GF7, Nikon 1 J5 or the Samsung NX500.

04-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
The weather sealing will probably never happen.The cost of weather sealing will rise the price too much as the Q is a cheap to manufacture camera it does not make sense.

I would like it, but seeing as none of my lenses are weather sealed there's no point and I am not going to re-buy the same lenses again, Nikon tried with the AW1 and it never took off. Like the Nikon, I can see people buying a weather sealed Q putting on the 02 lens then complaining when the sensor gets soggy.
NO. Simple no. Wrong. Weathersealing the q7 wouldn't(shouldn't) raise the price more than it already is.
I don't want to insult you, but let me ask you a question?
Are you one of those guys that believed in the rumors spread by Sony, that they are selling their PS3 at self cost? Do you really believe that the iPhone-Production costs more than 15% over a mere noName-Smartphone?
Are you aware of the fact that you were able to order your Q7 in a dozens of colors?
Why did this not raise the price?

AND:
A weather resistant Q would be a whole other thing than a water- or better: dive-proof Nikon AW 1.

And just because You are not willing or able to effort ONE additional weather resistant Kit-Zoom lens for your Q System, do you think nobody else will?
I think most of the other consumers don't care about that.

Next:
Your example isn't very good also because;
That also would go for a PENTAX KS-2.
Why doesn't everybody go out into the rain with his K-S2 and a non-WR Kit-lens mounted on it?
Because we have brains.
People just dont like it when you are denying their ability to calculate 1+1.

And i don't think about the Pentax userbase as a bunch of flippant tag-alongs, who buy their cameras according to the TV-Series they are watching.
04-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
NO. Simple no. Wrong. Weathersealing the q7 wouldn't(shouldn't) raise the price more than it already is.
I don't want to insult you, but let me ask you a question?
Are you one of those guys that believed in the rumors spread by Sony, that they are selling their PS3 at self cost? Do you really believe that the iPhone-Production costs more than 15% over a mere noName-Smartphone?
Are you aware of the fact that you were able to order your Q7 in a dozens of colors?
Why did this not raise the price?

AND:
A weather resistant Q would be a whole other thing than a water- or better: dive-proof Nikon AW 1.

And just because You are not willing or able to effort ONE additional weather resistant Kit-Zoom lens for your Q System, do you think nobody else will?
I think most of the other consumers don't care about that.

Next:
Your example isn't very good also because;
That also would go for a PENTAX KS-2.
Why doesn't everybody go out into the rain with his K-S2 and a non-WR Kit-lens mounted on it?
Because we have brains.
People just dont like it when you are denying their ability to calculate 1+1.

And i don't think about the Pentax userbase as a bunch of flippant tag-alongs, who buy their cameras according to the TV-Series they are watching.
Woh Patarok, sorry I've rattled you so much!

Firstly, I did say I would like weather sealing, hell I would love a weather sealed Q, but I cant see it happening.

The PS3 comparison is a bit pointless as game consoles make a massive loss and make their money back from selling games and subscriptions. As far as I know the camera industry does not do that, which is kind of my point. Pentax has not spent much money updating the Q system, it's not that popular outside of Asia, so I doubt they will want to invest in producing weather sealed body's and lenses when it will up production costs for little gain. Of cause it will increase cost and production time, can they afford to do it?
Their rivals don't have it and Pentax needs to keep competitive if they want to compete, pricing is critical.

And you cant really compare it against their SLR's as there are loads of weather sealed lenses already out and have been for years.

As for your last sentence, the people on this site are a small but very passionate minority of the amount of Pentax cameras owners out there, Pentax needs to appeal to us its fans, but it also needs to appeal to the masses if they want to make money.
04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #79
Veteran Member

The PS3 comparison is a bit pointless as game consoles make a massive loss and make their money back from selling games and subscriptions.
That is exactly that BELIEF of yours that i wanted to point other users to. BELIEF... That is not how it is in REALITY.

Listen fellows:
I also dont know everything but if i know one thing, it is the fact that you can hear this very sentence from everybody in consumerland.
That is a "focused" MISINFORMATION.(sry for the bad transl. /no native tongue)
The oh so expensive CPU and everything else in the PS3 is garbage. They take it off from wafers they use for producing the CPUs for blade servers and if you will do a hardware check, you will realize that up to 2 SPUs at least are DEAD. CaPUTO!! The 1st version maybe had cpus that were quite OK so nobody checks out the trick.
They also make money from the consoles... MUCH MONEY.
And dont point at marges of some company. Forget it... useless. If political networkers can make millions disappear; What do you think a bunch of hardcore economists can do???

And you cant really compare it against their SLR's as there are loads of weather sealed lenses already out and have been for years.
I did not compare the cameras. It was about the thinking process, your brain has to be capable of, when you take your camera outside and take photographs in the rain. Where is the difference?

OK again. S l o w l y just for sapporodan:
When you go outside, for example with a KS-2 and you mount a non WR lens. It will go CAPUT(if you are unlucky)!
That is the EXACTLY the same for the Pentax Q.

As for your last sentence, the people on this site are a small but very passionate minority of the amount of Pentax cameras owners out there, Pentax needs to appeal to us its fans, but it also needs to appeal to the masses if they want to make money.
Where do you know that from? How much are they? 10, 100, maybe only just 1000! Maybe it is only one. And HE, the lonely Pentax-Ranger is in response for making the world better... And yes watch out Pentax-Ranger! Dont buy to much silicone rings and fit them into your cameras, or you can not effort the bullets anymore and Wild Bill Canon and Jessie Nikon will shoot you down.

And another question for you: "When the Q is not popular outside Asia, why are all those colored Qs sold out so often?" Do Asians have some strong superstition which makes them believe that only a Pentax Q that is sent from Europe back to Asia will bring them luck and a long life.

So one last time: Please stop spreading that "I-am-the-only-Pentax-User-in-the-World-ANGST" No you are not. There are many of them out there.

04-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #80

That is exactly that BELIEF of yours that i wanted to point other users to. BELIEF... That is not how it is in REALITY.

Listen fellows:
I also dont know everything but if i know one thing, it is the fact that you can hear this very sentence from everybody in consumerland.
The oh so expensive CPU and everything else in the PS3 is garbage. They take it off from wafers they use for producing the CPUs for blade servers and if you will do a hardware check, you will realize that up to 2 SPUs at least are DEAD. CaPUTO!! The 1st version maybe had cpus that were quite OK so nobody checks out the trick.
And dont point at marges of some company. Forget it... useless. If political networkers can make millions disappear; What do you think a bunch of hardcore economists can do???

I did not compare the cameras. It was about the thinking process, your brain has to be capable of, when you take your camera outside and take photographs in the rain. Where is the difference?

When you go outside, for example with a KS-2 and you mount a non WR lens. It will go CAPUT(if you are unlucky)!

Where do you know that from? How much are they? 10, 100, maybe only just 1000! Maybe it is only one. And HE, the lonely Pentax-Ranger is in response for making the world better... And yes watch out Pentax-Ranger! Dont buy to much silicone rings and fit them into your cameras, or you can not effort the bullets anymore and Wild Bill Canon and Jessie Nikon will shoot you down.

And another question for you: "When the Q is not popular outside Asia, why are all those colored Qs sold out so often?" Do Asians have some strong superstition which makes them believe that only a Pentax Q that is sent from Europe back to Asia will bring them luck and a long life.

So one last time: Please stop spreading that "I-am-the-only-Pentax-User-in-the-World-ANGST" No you are not. There are many of them out there.
Oh dear pratarok, you have really have cheered me up, I might ramble on but your just as bad as me

Fair enough we have a difference of opinion, and forums are great for having a rant, but your just becoming rude.

And for that reason I am not going to engage with you any more.

Last edited by sapporodan; 04-14-2015 at 01:14 AM.
04-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

My first Pentax camera was an ME that I bought in 1979. It definitely was not WR; if fact, I ruined that camera when I took it to Niagara Falls in 1981, and apparently some spray got into it. Some time between 1984 (when I finally replaced the ME with the Super Program I use in my signature) and today Pentax started selling WR cameras. At that point in time they faced exactly the same issue with K-mount that they would face with Q-mount today - a certain base of users who had lenses that were not WR ... but they made the switch anyway. I still have a few old non-WR K-mount lenses. When I look at the K-50 on display at the Super Target near my home, and compare it to the Canon T5i nearby, I don't see that I lose anything by having a WR camera. Whether I would buy new lenses, or use my old lenses on a new WR K-50 camera and simply view it as the latest update to my ancient Super Program, is my decision to make, but that is not Pentax's concern. Likewise, if Pentax would release a WR Q-mount camera, you could always buy the new WR Q-S2 and use your old lenses; having it WR wouldn't reduce the utility to you of its other new features.
04-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #82
Forum Member

What do you have to do to a non-WR camera to ruin it, anyway?

04-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Ha! I'm quite sure my realistic approach had zero affect on what is happening in one niche of camera development mostly on the other side of the world from me.
It's all about money, no more, no less. Always has been always will be.
J
The companies that don't follow the money at all generally falls apart pretty quickly.
04-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #84

Listen fellows:

Your expectations seem very unrealistic.

J
04-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
What do you have to do to a non-WR camera to ruin it, anyway?
Cause it to become damp, which then allows the innards to become damp. We were on the way to a family reunion, and the camera stopped working just about the time we arrived there. Fortunately I had another camera with me, but that is another story.

When I got home, I sent in in for repairs. Some amount of $$$ later, they got it working, but it never did work quite right after that, and the longer I used it the worse it got. There is a reason I have my second Pentax in my signature and not my first - the first has been in the Marion IN landfill for some years now.
04-16-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Cause it to become damp, which then allows the innards to become damp. We were on the way to a family reunion, and the camera stopped working just about the time we arrived there. Fortunately I had another camera with me, but that is another story.

When I got home, I sent in in for repairs. Some amount of $$$ later, they got it working, but it never did work quite right after that, and the longer I used it the worse it got. There is a reason I have my second Pentax in my signature and not my first - the first has been in the Marion IN landfill for some years now.
Another reason for beeing optimistic and hope for at least a WR Q.

But i will be amused about the next post that says something like:
"No sir. No i don't want set of Michelin winter tires for free with my new Audi A1. I'll rather crash into those road signs; Because i don't want to ruin the Audi Company. But thank you for your offer sir. "

04-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #87
Forum Member

Pentax is the Citroen of camera makers, not the Audi.
04-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #88
Veteran Member

OK, i admit those comparisons with car brands are a bit lame.

Maybe we are the LOTUS in photography?

But if you meant that we dont belong to the top with our brand, than you are some kind of wrong.

One of the highest regarded museums/photo auction house(real life) about photography and photography equipment shows a huge PENTAX collection next to other icons of the photo business like Leica.

or

Take a Pentax 67, an LX, an MZ-S, or a 645Z, a K-5II(s) or even an old Spotmatic use it for a week and then reconsider your statement.

There would be more to it, but let me pick out only 2 points.(i could go through more points but A and B will have to do for you)

A) We invented AF. it is a fact that Pentax in first introduced the AF *laughter* (ok it wasnt that precise, so it disappeared from the market)

B) Decent IQ at ISO 12.800 on an APS-C DSLR A.D. 2010? anyone else... let me see...

OK, maybe we can not effort as much product placements like the "Double Team" and we sure arent capable of investing the same money on buying competitors out in test results.

But that is not what it is about. This thread is about the future of the Q System.

So:

According to an interview with Mr. Kazunobu Saiki and Mr. Shigeru Wakashiro we may see an EVF(maybe optional for the hotshoe) in some future Q.

And i tested a Q10 and the only things i really missed were WR and Astrotracer.

Sure i also would like to see AF during video with the option for predefined follow focus points, NFC+Wlan, and so on.... but WR and Astrotracer will do for me.

so get it on, my K-mount adapter is waiting for its mission.

i would love to read more suggestions and feature requests and less... let's call em "flaming words"
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #89
Forum Member

? Citroen invented a lot of stuff.

Do you have any reference to the EVF thing? It's about the only thing I miss on the Q (aside from more lenses, of course, but frankly more important).
04-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #90
Veteran Member

My Q "Homer" and the 01 lens goes everywhere with me. I would be lost without him. I usually shoot Raw. I just wish Homer could shoot 16:9 Raw. WiFi would be handy and the ability to convert a Raw Image in camera would be nice. What irritates me the most though is the inability to focus my 200M lens accurately.