Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Future Q -- what's your take?

With the release of the Q-S1 and the rest of the "-Sx" Pentax cameras (like the K-S1/S2), Ricoh has begun another model line for "innovation" cameras, with the K-(x)/(xx) and Q(x) remaining as the "core" models. If it's true, then could it be possible for two Q models to be out at once? Right now Pentax is focusing on the K- and 645 mounts, so we can expect a development for the Q model either very late in the year or even later in the future.

What's your take on future Q models? Let's try to build a hypothetical model to succeed the QS-1 and Q7.

Here's my idea of a future Q:

Core concept 1: "Q5"
A Q model for the adventurous enthusiast, allowing it to be taken to many environments like its bigger K brothers, but without the extra pounds of weight. It would be perfect for trekkers, cross-country travelers, and summer camps. On the other hand, it may also work nicely for hobbyist photographers who mostly upload to mobile and social media sites, and can function as a "sidearm" camera too for professionals like press/journalists, fashion, lifestyle photographers.

Features:
1. 6 or 8mp "better low light"-capable sensor (if how the Sony A7s did it holds true for other sensors too)
2. Weather-sealed magnesium-alloy body
3. On-chip PDAF
4. Tilting screen
5. 120fps movie option (even if it's lower than 720p?)
6. Built-in WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth
7. Grip options:
--a. WR Power grip option: houses an extra battery (AAA-size Li-ion?lol thinking twice about this) and microSD card slot.
8. Wireless tethering
9. Faint back-lit buttons for use in the dark
10. Mic port for video
10. WR versions of the 01, 02, 06, 08 lenses
11. Sturdy, ergonomic design in base colors: white and black
12. "Clarity enhancement" technology from Ricoh
13. 14-bit RAW option
14. New, improved processor to accommodate enhanced stills and video

Core concept 2: "Q-S2"
A highly-stylized, more affordable model designed for beginners and enthusiasts who want the best value camera system in a fairly compact package, even in comparison to m4/3 systems.

Features:
All of the above, except:
1(!). Same 12MP BSI CMOS sensor found in Q7
2. Weather-sealed plastic body with stainless-steel chassis
6. No built-in WiFi
7. Grip options:
--a. WR Power grip option: houses an extra battery (AAA-size Li-ion? lol thinking twice about this) and microSD card slot.
--b. WR Connectivity grip: houses WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth module, rechargeable mini-battery
11. Eye-catching design in collection-series colors

Concept future accessories:
1. WR mini-flash
2. Pentax Q speedbooster (is this even possible? haha)
3. Q-mount 1.4x WR teleconverter
4. Pentax Q travel case with built-in powerbank
5. Pentax Q Bluetooth microphone
6. Pentax Q LED array for video (similar to the Yongnuo YN160C, but lighter and more compact)
7. Q-system video rig (lol just thinking)

03-11-2015, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
With the release of the Q-S1 and the rest of the "-Sx" Pentax cameras (like the K-S1/S2), Ricoh has begun another model line for "innovation" cameras, with the K-(x)/(xx) and Q(x) remaining as the "core" models. If it's true, then could it be possible for two Q models to be out at once? Right now Pentax is focusing on the K- and 645 mounts, so we can expect a development for the Q model either very late in the year or even later in the future.

What's your take on future Q models? Let's try to build a hypothetical model to succeed the QS-1 and Q7.

Here's my idea of a future Q:

Core concept 1: "Q5"
A Q model for the adventurous enthusiast, allowing it to be taken to many environments like its bigger K brothers, but without the extra pounds of weight. It would be perfect for trekkers, cross-country travelers, and summer camps. On the other hand, it may also work nicely for hobbyist photographers who mostly upload to mobile and social media sites, and can function as a "sidearm" camera too for professionals like press/journalists, fashion, lifestyle photographers.

Features:
1. 6 or 8mp "better low light"-capable sensor (if how the Sony A7s did it holds true for other sensors too)
2. Weather-sealed magnesium-alloy body
3. On-chip PDAF
4. Tilting screen
5. 120fps movie option (even if it's lower than 720p?)
6. Built-in WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth
7. Grip options:
--a. WR Power grip option: houses an extra battery (AAA-size Li-ion?lol thinking twice about this) and microSD card slot.
8. Wireless tethering
9. Faint back-lit buttons for use in the dark
10. Mic port for video
10. WR versions of the 01, 02, 06, 08 lenses
11. Sturdy, ergonomic design in base colors: white and black
12. "Clarity enhancement" technology from Ricoh
13. 14-bit RAW option
14. New, improved processor to accommodate enhanced stills and video
I'd be expensive, but man that would be cool.

QuoteQuote:
Core concept 2: "Q-S2"
A highly-stylized, more affordable model designed for beginners and enthusiasts who want the best value camera system in a fairly compact package, even in comparison to m4/3 systems.

Features:
All of the above, except:
1(!). Same 12MP BSI CMOS sensor found in Q7
2. Weather-sealed plastic body with stainless-steel chassis
6. No built-in WiFi
7. Grip options:
--a. WR Power grip option: houses an extra battery (AAA-size Li-ion? lol thinking twice about this) and microSD card slot.
--b. WR Connectivity grip: houses WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth module, rechargeable mini-battery
11. Eye-catching design in collection-series colors
I actually think a WR Q with an updated processor and updated/faster AF system would be awesome. I'd be more interested in this version. But a grip would be a questionable accessory.. maybe Japan only?

QuoteQuote:
Concept future accessories:
1. WR mini-flash
2. Pentax Q speedbooster (is this even possible? haha)
3. Q-mount 1.4x WR teleconverter
4. Pentax Q travel case with built-in powerbank
5. Pentax Q Bluetooth microphone
6. Pentax Q LED array for video (similar to the Yongnuo YN160C, but lighter and more compact)
7. Q-system video rig (lol just thinking)

Some of these are interesting. a Bluetooth microphone I would disregard, audio quality over bluetooth isn't a high enough quality yet in my opinion. and LED light array though, I want that now!

More, I want the rumored Macro Lens to come with an LED ring light.
03-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All in all, the Q system needs to take the next real step in evolution, last was the 1/1.7 sensor.
03-11-2015, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a topic I've been considering since I bought my Q7 two weeks ago.

- I think the Q niche is too small to support 2 models.

- The next Q will have the slightly improved sensor that is currently in the Nikon P7800 and Canon G16

- Will have a 920k (or better) LCD, hopefully articulated.

- I hope the Q-S1 styling is not revisited. I hate it.

- I hope the Quick Dial gets expanded versatility.

- There's a patent for a superzoom lens reaching out to ~ 500mm FOV, so I hope we get that.

- Given the Q's history, we should se the new Q 3rd quarter of this year.

03-11-2015, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is a topic I've been considering since I bought my Q7 two weeks ago.

- I think the Q niche is too small to support 2 models.

- The next Q will have the slightly improved sensor that is currently in the Nikon P7800 and Canon G16

- Will have a 920k (or better) LCD, hopefully articulated.

- I hope the Q-S1 styling is not revisited. I hate it.

- I hope the Quick Dial gets expanded versatility.

- There's a patent for a superzoom lens reaching out to ~ 500mm FOV, so I hope we get that.

- Given the Q's history, we should se the new Q 3rd quarter of this year.
add built in wifi and at least compatibility with the GPS unit and I'd upgrade. but until then I'm still happy with my Q7. Even my original Q I still love.
03-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
add built in wifi and at least compatibility with the GPS unit and I'd upgrade. but until then I'm still happy with my Q7. Even my original Q I still love.

Oh yes, you're right, those would be good add-ons to the Q, and probably necessary at this point from a marketing perspective. Pentax seems to have a strange dichotomy about the Q, where there's a mix of cheap-outs (Toy lenses, slow kit zoom, low-res LCD, poor build quality of the 06) and high-end (construction of the kit zoom, the price & range of the 08 zoom). It sends a mixed message to Qenthusiasts.

edit: I'm assuming we're getting to macro lens this year.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.
03-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the speedbooster idea would be great. It wouldn't have to go all the way to a full 5x focal length reduction, just compensating for the APS-C to Q crop factor, or even just partially compensating, would offer existing DA/FA lens owners (not just telephoto enthusiats) a better path to the Q system. Adapted lenses are a gateway drug to native lenses, meaning that this could potentially increase overall Q lens sales, rather than compete with them. The f-stop improvement would be a boon to the Q when shooting in low light, without threatening the better image quality offered by the larger-sensor cameras.

I think the accessory grip (with or without battery) would also be great, Olympus' two-part approach would be awesome. Maybe they are afraid that this will invite someone to try to lift a DA560 by the lens mount.

I'm glad to see they introduced continuous AF in the Q-S1. The 1/1.7'" sensor is well suited for casual video. While I think it would be awesome to build it into a serious ENG video camera, maybe just some minor improvements like continuous focus assist, more modern framerates, and adding mic/headphone ports on the battery grip would be sufficient to make this an even better alternative for casual and enthusiast video use -- to replace the camcorders that Ricoh used to build. Those are things that would require a faster processor, but the processor and sensors are getting faster all the time whether anyone wants them to or not anyhow. So it wouldn't increase costs that much.

03-11-2015, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would personally be happy with just a WR version of the Q7 along with a WR K-mount adapter. I think a lot of outdoor photographers would be too.
03-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
ah wait you mean the current Q's with latest firmware aren't compatible with the O-GPS1? That's sad to hear.. Yeah that will be a good addition to the list, then.

I am not sure if the Q system can handle any further sensor size increase; doing so will take in-body SR out. The Q lenses can remain small because of that small sensor, because one can only do so much with the laws of physics.

The DA 40XS is a miracle in itself for APS-C, and some say it's even FF-compatible.

The 01 too; given that it has a leaf shutter and in-lens motor (no Q ever had a screwdrive for AF right?).
03-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like my original Q, but I've been skipping upgrading since.
Battery life and IQ are my two big niggles.
It will be interesting to see what comes next.
03-11-2015, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I like my original Q, but I've been skipping upgrading since.
Same here.
The nicer look and feel of the classic housing makes an upgrade to any of the newer model a pretty stagnant one, one step forward in IQ but one step back when it comes to build and aesthetics. Why would I upgrade?
03-11-2015, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
ah wait you mean the current Q's with latest firmware aren't compatible with the O-GPS1? That's sad to hear.. Yeah that will be a good addition to the list, then.

I am not sure if the Q system can handle any further sensor size increase; doing so will take in-body SR out. The Q lenses can remain small because of that small sensor, because one can only do so much with the laws of physics.

The DA 40XS is a miracle in itself for APS-C, and some say it's even FF-compatible.

The 01 too; given that it has a leaf shutter and in-lens motor (no Q ever had a screwdrive for AF right?).
I'm not 100% sure about the O-GPS compatibility, I haven't tested it on my Q7, but can confirm 100% it doesn't work on my original metal bodied Q.

The 01 lens is really under rated. I need to return to it and just use it again. That was the best part of the Q, just going around with the 01 in high-contrast B&W mode and shooting. Since I added lenses and tried using it as a "real camera" I lost the joy of Q.
03-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Same here.
The nicer look and feel of the classic housing makes an upgrade to any of the newer model a pretty stagnant one, one step forward in IQ but one step back when it comes to build and aesthetics. Why would I upgrade?
I haven't used the original Q (Q Classic?) but I have used a number of P&S cameras with 1/2.3" sensor. I've found that the difference in IQ between the 2 sensors to be more impactful than, say, going from my K-x to the current K-01. The 1/1.7" sensor has ~ 50% more surface area than the 1/2.3".

Lenses on the Q7 have a wider FOV thanks to the larger sensor, yet the sensor resolves enough "extra" detail that telephoto isn't hurt. The Q7 also has faster AF, faster overall performance, etc vs the Q.

Pentax Q7 Review - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #14

APS-C sensor, improved AF, err, that's it. I even like the Q-S1 styling.
03-11-2015, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
APS-C sensor, improved AF, err, that's it. I even like the Q-S1 styling.
But then it wouldn't use the Q-mount and thus not be a Q.