Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Ah, I see. Mind the Nikon 1 equivalent is closer in size and is quite a lot more expensive. I wonder is making it smaller is cheaper or more expensive?
Consider that making something smaller is more expensive due to increased difficulty of manufacturing and tighter tolerances. +/- 2% of 1 centimeter is a lot easier to handle and even measure than the same tolerance for 1 millimeter.

04-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Ah, I see. Mind the Nikon 1 equivalent is closer in size and is quite a lot more expensive. I wonder is making it smaller is cheaper or more expensive?
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Consider that making something smaller is more expensive due to increased difficulty of manufacturing and tighter tolerances. +/- 2% of 1 centimeter is a lot easier to handle and even measure than the same tolerance for 1 millimeter.
I'm guessing that economics also is a factor here. Neither the Nikon 1 nor the Pentax Q is a big volume item, so they have to spread development costs over a much smaller sales volume (kind of a vicious circle here, since the higher price also leads to a smaller volume). In addition, there is no 3rd party provider that users could go to, so they don't have to lower the price to compete
04-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For every day use I think the #08 would be easier to use. It is less wide, lacks the massive FE distortion, and of course autofocuses. The Q doesn't have the highest resolution lcd screen for manual focusing. For still images the leaf shutter will provide greater sharpness with moving subjects. The #08 is also optically sharper.

For mounting on a pole I think the FE will be easier. Greater wideangle view makes aiming much easier. All of the action cams are FE like or close to it. With a focus lock accessory, the FE never changes focus and has considerably more depth of field to start with.

John, you need both!
thanks
barondla
04-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #19
Forum Member

I have just ordered the fisheye, but on Black FRiday I bought the HTC RE which is ultrawide. It is a camera that if you want to control it more you have to pair it with your phone to see through the viewfinder or change any settings. But it is a fixed lens camera. You can set it ultrawide or fisheye like ultrawide. But if you take a pic when the HTC RE is set more to fisheye, then there is something in the software where you just click on it and it flattens the picture out so its not all fisheye looking. Supposedly the benefit of a superwide like that is you don't even have to have a viewfinder, you just point and shoot. And most stuff is always in focus. So, the HTC RE does not have any sort of viewfinder, you just aim it and hit the shutter. If you want to use a viewfinder, then you have to get your phone out and open the app and do it that way. So, my take is that if you have money for the ultrawide, then it might be nice to have. But, the fisheye is a fixed wide lens so cheaper. Then, is there some software to push a button and flatten it out if you want?

04-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Both is the sensible option.
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
John, you need both!
That's what I was afraid of LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
I have just ordered the fisheye, but on Black FRiday I bought the HTC RE which is ultrawide. It is a camera that if you want to control it more you have to pair it with your phone to see through the viewfinder or change any settings. But it is a fixed lens camera. You can set it ultrawide or fisheye like ultrawide. But if you take a pic when the HTC RE is set more to fisheye, then there is something in the software where you just click on it and it flattens the picture out so its not all fisheye looking. Supposedly the benefit of a superwide like that is you don't even have to have a viewfinder, you just point and shoot. And most stuff is always in focus. So, the HTC RE does not have any sort of viewfinder, you just aim it and hit the shutter. If you want to use a viewfinder, then you have to get your phone out and open the app and do it that way. So, my take is that if you have money for the ultrawide, then it might be nice to have. But, the fisheye is a fixed wide lens so cheaper. Then, is there some software to push a button and flatten it out if you want?
Interesting, I had never heard of this before. It's like half a Ricoh Theta. I'm ok with the FE look, but I do prefer shooting RAW. Does the HTC RE shoot RAW?
04-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That's what I was afraid of LOL!

Interesting, I had never heard of this before. It's like half a Ricoh Theta. I'm ok with the FE look, but I do prefer shooting RAW. Does the HTC RE shoot RAW?
The HTC RE does not shoot raw but it has a nice sony sensor supposedly, its waterproof more or less and you just put it in your pocket. Or you could hang it on a lanyard. Its super small. It doesn't even have an on switch. It turns on when you pick it up by sensing your hand. It has slow motion video built in using a button on the front of the camera before you hit the shutter. If you want to use it for time lapse, you have to set that using your phone. I got mine for 99 dollars. I think its worth that. It just fits in your pocket but sometimes it takes a video in your pocket.

Whats good about it is you just point and shoot and you don't know what you will get necessarily so take a few shots, but you are not busy framing or focusing so you take a lot more pictures. Its easy to just pull it out and shoot it.

It is sorta like a gopro and you can use a tripod or monopod or whatever because it has a threaded hole on it. If you push the trigger, it takes a photo, if you hold it for lke a second, it starts a video. the second push when it is shooting a video stops the video shooting. It makes a different noise when you shoot a video and it has lights on it indicating if you are shooting, but they are a little hard to see.

It charges only with a USB and takes a micro SD. Most people give it crappy reviews but I think you just need to steady it a bit and it takes very sharp pics albeit being super wide, everything looks far away. Seems pretty good for video. Things look far away generally because its so wide. Its easy to shoot yourself with it.

Because to control it (if you want to control it) you need a phone, any camera updates you just update via the phone app and it updates your firmware because it talks to your phone via wifi. To get the pictures out, you can get them out of your phone or use the usb cable to your computer or I guess you could take the SD card out.

It is set up to do live via youtube which I don't know what that is.

Last edited by paulcote; 04-26-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more info to talk about.
05-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #22
Forum Member

I got the fisheye and put it on my Q but its not very fishy. I guess thats another reason to get a Q7.
05-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am pleased with my 08, I'm glad to have both in my kit. I'm sure I use the 03 considerably less since I added the 08.

It goes without saying that the 08 is pricey for a Q lens but it's also uncommon to get ultra-wide capability on a compact camera, and in addition to being super-compact, it's price is cheaper than the ultra-wide zooms available for most other systems.

Despite the generally large depth-of-field that ultrawides provide, it's generally easier to get a good-looking, sharp image from the 08 than with the 03 with which often it seems none of the scene is completely sharp, probably in part due to the difficulty of obtaining critical manual focus on the Q's lowish-res LCD screen.