Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

What lens adapter do I need?

Hello everyone, i'm a noob to this forum and i'm a noob to photography. I've been messing around with the pentax Q for the past couple of days and decided I wanted a zoom lens. I bought one for cheap on ebay but the problem is that the seller didn't say what type of lens it is (not that i'm educated on that I just know how to google) and well I don't know what type of adapter I need to mount it to the Q (if I need one at all) so I was wondering if you could help me. I have a few pictures of the lens from the web page, i'm not sure if you can find the lens type based upon that but thats all I got. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images

04-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will need an adapter for Minolta MD, also called Minolta S-mount.
04-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Which would have to have optical correction for it to work on pentax. Skip it.
Err... nevermind. I'm blind and missed that this was for a Q
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thank you very much!

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Which would have to have optical correction for it to work on pentax. Skip it.
Err... nevermind. I'm blind and missed that this was for a Q
Do you think it'll work for the Q?

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 12:17 PM ----------

Do you think this would do the job? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Minolta-Q-Series-Mirrorless/dp/B006NQ9UWE

04-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matingwithmatt Quote
I'm partial to the RJ adapters from Jinfinance myself.

RJ Minolta MD MC Lens to Pentax Q Q10 Q7 MD Q Adapter w Tripod Mount Collar | eBay
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #6

Original Poster

RJ Minolta MD MC Lens to Pentax Q Q10 Q7 MD Q Adapter w Tripod Mount Collar | eBay
Alright, I'll give that a go.
04-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #7

Original Poster

Could you help out again? I swear this is the last time Starblitz 75 200mm Lens Auto Zoom Macro | eBay
04-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Could you help out again? I swear this is the last time Starblitz 75 200mm Lens Auto Zoom Macro | eBay
That's a K-mount.

04-14-2015, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

You should research what a lens mount is (it's not hard) before going around buying lenses. You got lucky that the lens you bought does have a mount for which an adapter exists, otherwise there would be little you could do with it. Also, it makes little sense to get multiple lenses, each with a different mount, that way you'll need one adapter per lens. Further, if you got an 85-210 then your next purchase shouldn't be a 75-200, it's almost the same range.

As to working, every lens works in every camera as long as it mounts (even without mounting, but then you'd have to keep holding it and there would be stray light coming in. The issues may be:
- in nearly (all?) cases, nothing 'automatic' will work, since that would require communication between camera and lens, and cameras only know how to talk to their native lenses
- if the flange focal distance of the lens isn't at least a little bigger than the camera's, there's no leeway to make an adapter that will neutralise the difference, hence no infinity focus without corrective glass elements (all of which on the market degrade quality noticeably)
- if the lens has no aperture ring, you'll only be able to change aperture if the adapter specifically supports doing that, which may be easy or difficult depending on the lens mount
04-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
You should research what a lens mount is (it's not hard) before going around buying lenses. You got lucky that the lens you bought does have a mount for which an adapter exists, otherwise there would be little you could do with it. Also, it makes little sense to get multiple lenses, each with a different mount, that way you'll need one adapter per lens. Further, if you got an 85-210 then your next purchase shouldn't be a 75-200, it's almost the same range.

As to working, every lens works in every camera as long as it mounts (even without mounting, but then you'd have to keep holding it and there would be stray light coming in. The issues may be:
- in nearly (all?) cases, nothing 'automatic' will work, since that would require communication between camera and lens, and cameras only know how to talk to their native lenses
- if the flange focal distance of the lens isn't at least a little bigger than the camera's, there's no leeway to make an adapter that will neutralise the difference, hence no infinity focus without corrective glass elements (all of which on the market degrade quality noticeably)
- if the lens has no aperture ring, you'll only be able to change aperture if the adapter specifically supports doing that, which may be easy or difficult depending on the lens mount
Good point, I was having trouble finding information to these lenses online and the only reason I really got the second lens was because its a macro lens. From what I see macro lenses are good for small details, which is what I want. To be fair i'm just impulsive and responding to the deals as they present themselves but you are right I shouldn't be buying an essentially identical lens with a different mount type, so with that being said im just gonna let this one slide even if its a macro, I've already spent a good chunk of money so I will pass. Like I said i'm a huge noob to this, I started taking pictures just last week as a means to battle depression and boredom. So far its helping.

---------- Post added 04-14-15 at 07:28 AM ----------

That's a K-mount.
Thank you.
04-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

A note: no zoom lens is a macro lens. A real macro is built differently from normal lenses. They are slower (larger smallest f number), sharper, and usually have selectores or indicators of the type of magnification. BUT in marketing speak, lenses which can focus more closely than the average have been called 'macro'. In practice, and taking into account that this is the Q we're talking about, you may get enough magnification out of them, but sharpness (which is an important point with the Q) is not on a par. Either way, the point of the Q is to have fun, and you can have lots of fun with almost any lens you put in it. And if you shoot in 'bold monochrome', for instance, the lens and ISO do not matter, it always comes out fantastic!
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
A note: no zoom lens is a macro lens. A real macro is built differently from normal lenses. They are slower (larger smallest f number), sharper, and usually have selectores or indicators of the type of magnification. BUT in marketing speak, lenses which can focus more closely than the average have been called 'macro'. In practice, and taking into account that this is the Q we're talking about, you may get enough magnification out of them, but sharpness (which is an important point with the Q) is not on a par. Either way, the point of the Q is to have fun, and you can have lots of fun with almost any lens you put in it. And if you shoot in 'bold monochrome', for instance, the lens and ISO do not matter, it always comes out fantastic!
Bold monochrome is my favorite filter, it makes the ghetto look gorgeous!
04-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you think it'll work for the Q?
Everything works for the Q. The Q is the universal recipient of lenses. It has the smallest flange focal distance of any mount, at 9.2mm. (and Pentax also has the universal donor in the Pentax 67 format, with a flange of 84.95mm, it will work on any camera body, given the appropriate adapter)

Some lenses may not have adapters for Q, and some lenses may not cover the full image circle on the Q, but one question you never need to ask is "will this work for the Q"

---------- Post added 04-14-15 at 01:41 PM ----------

Bold monochrome is my favorite filter, it makes the ghetto look gorgeous!
If there was a bold monochrome setting for my K3, I might actually use it now and then. It really is a nice look.