Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #1

Anamorphic lens for the Pentax Q

I wonder if its' any good?

There some links to some video, but at work so cant use them.

If it was 50 I would almost be tempted. seems like it could be fun!

Anamorphic lens 1.5x For Nikon V1/N1, Pentax Q, BMPCC | eBay

04-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has any screw on lens ever been 'good'?
04-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much all anamorphic lenses suitable for use on the Q (i.e. not multi-thousand dollar specialized cinema lenses) are screw on/clamp on lenses. In fact, many indie filmmakers clamp projector lenses onto the front of their regular lenses to acheive the anamorphic aspect ration.

Using Anamorphic Lenses for DSLR Video - Film Brute

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Has any screw on lens ever been 'good'?
04-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've always been fascinated with anamorphic lenses for still but none of my software is set up for it. Could I shoot and process the image normally, export as a TIFF, and stretch the image out in another software package?

04-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I've always been fascinated with anamorphic lenses for still but none of my software is set up for it. Could I shoot and process the image normally, export as a TIFF, and stretch the image out in another software package?
I suppose if you knew how much it squashed the image by you could get an image editor to stretch it back by the same amount.
04-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm not sure I understand why you would "squash" it in camera with the intention of "stretching" it back out in post processing. What is the gain?
04-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure I understand why you would "squash" it in camera with the intention of "stretching" it back out in post processing. What is the gain?
You get that nice wide cinematic aspect ratio without cropping into the image.
04-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You do a resize, and untick the 'keep aspect ratio' (or equivalent) in your chosen application.
I can recommend Ifranview as being effective for this.
We use a similar resize to correct anamorphic squeeze for video - I had been checking out that screw on Anamorphic unit, to the point where I was tempted to buy a Q for video.

04-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just noticed that the filter threads for this adapter are 34mm. The Q's lenses have 40.5mm. I don't think this will work, will it?
04-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Just noticed that the filter threads for this adapter are 34mm. The Q's lenses have 40.5mm. I don't think this will work, will it?
You'd need to use a step down ring, but looking at the sample images any vignetting you might expect probably wouldn't show up.

As far as I'm concerned it's a bit academic really - at 170 there's not much danger of me hitting the 'Buy It Now' button!
04-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

There are quite a few videos on Youtube and Vimeo with the Q and an anamorphic lens. If you do buy one please, post a couple of samples. It looks like an interesting setup, I wonder how effective it will be on the Q or Q7 sensors.
04-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZackHuggins Quote
You get that nice wide cinematic aspect ratio without cropping into the image.
Now I'm sure I don't understand exactly what this lens does.
Can you not get the same kind of thing by doing some stretching in post processing??
or is this actually some kind of super fish-eye lens??
04-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Now I'm sure I don't understand exactly what this lens does.
Can you not get the same kind of thing by doing some stretching in post processing??
or is this actually some kind of super fish-eye lens??
It distorts the image to fit into the film frame (or in this case, the image sensor) It sends a kind of funhouse mirror squished image, getting all your image data into the frame, which lets you 'unsquish' it and get a wider perspective.

That's how filmmakers were able to get those 2.35:1 super widescreen cinemascope images onto regular 35mm movie film. They used a lens that shot a distorted image, then they projected it with a lens that undid that distortion. Here's what the uncorrected anamorphic image would look like on your camera before you 'unsquished' it in post.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LixJAFakNko/maxresdefault.jpg