Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Have look @ Marumi Super DHG. Very high quality less the high price. As I recall my own 40.5 Super DHG CPL was 30USD on sale. Typically the price is 50-55USD.
I finally got some 30,5 filters which were "Made in Germany" (seller says they are de facto B+W). But after some research I found Marumi DHG to be kind of killer in price/quality ratio and will probably buy 49 mm filter for my DSLR lenses. Thanks for the answer!

Anyway I promise to share my experience.

06-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I finally got some 30,5 filters which were "Made in Germany" (seller says they are de facto B+W). But after some research I found Marumi DHG to be kind of killer in price/quality ratio and will probably buy 49 mm filter for my DSLR lenses. Thanks for the answer!

Anyway I promise to share my experience.
I can finally add some info. I would say I got a good filter as I do not see any changes in image quality and it is very effective when dealing with reflections. Unfortunately I'm not that satisfied with the resulting saturation of the sky - the effect on my Q is very subtle. Maybe the problem is that I expected too much as I was using polarizing filters mainly with slide films in the past.

Filters I got are branded Pentacon which was quite famous East German company (and yes, there is also reference to the Schneider group on the packaging - owner of the B+W brand). In fact I won the auction for 5 copies of new/unopened - all with 30.5 thread , so I have now at least 3, that I do not need
06-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't like putting a cheap glass in front of any lens, I use a hood on all my Q lenses and adapted lenses and shoot -0.3 stop then deal with the sky and dynamic range in LR5. A filter just adds opportunities for dirt and distortion.

Hans
06-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried using the built-in HDR functionality? I've done some experimenting with HDR; you have to edit it later to selectively expand the contrast which, by definition, gets compressed by the HDR process. The downside is that you end up with a jpeg file. However, I have editted jpeg files without losing any noticeable detail, as long as you don't edit that one jpeg file multiple times (or you can covert the jpeg file to tiff for editting and then back to jpeg when you're done).

06-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Have you tried using the built-in HDR functionality? I've done some experimenting with HDR; you have to edit it later to selectively expand the contrast which, by definition, gets compressed by the HDR process. The downside is that you end up with a jpeg file. However, I have editted jpeg files without losing any noticeable detail, as long as you don't edit that one jpeg file multiple times (or you can covert the jpeg file to tiff for editting and then back to jpeg when you're done).
Yes I have but using LR to increase DR allows you to do it after the fact and shooting raw enables a lot of after the fact processing

Hans
06-15-2015, 01:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I don't like putting a cheap glass in front of any lens, I use a hood on all my Q lenses and adapted lenses and shoot -0.3 stop then deal with the sky and dynamic range in LR5. A filter just adds opportunities for dirt and distortion.

Hans
My filter seems to be good eneough - I didn't saw any image degradation (I was afraid of, but it is OK). However I think it doesn't improve the way the sky looks on my genuine Q images. But for the water/glass/cars I will definitely want to use it as it is as good as expected.