Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Polarizing filter for the Q?

I'm thinking about getting a polarizing filter for my Q mainly for landscape shots as a help for the sensor which has somewheat limited dynamic range. I used such a filters for film cameras and was happy with the results. However I'm not sure if the same results can be obtained for the really small lenses (having filter threads about 30 mm in my case). The question is if with such a small lenses the filters do not influence the image quality too much (I do not plan to buy B&W or other priced alike).

Has someone good or bad expierence with PL filters on the tiny lenses, that could be shared here?

04-24-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have one at home.. there is not too many options for this diameter, although the 08 uses 49mm
04-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
i have one at home.. there is not too many options for this diameter, although the 08 uses 49mm
I rather think of using 37 mm filter - for many lenses with the step - up ring.
04-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

I use a PL a lot w/ my Q--mostly with the wide lens (FL equivalent of about 35mm on FF). I taped a 30.5 mm filter ring (removed glass from a filter) to the lens--and then attach hood, PL, etc. to that.
The other lenses have filter thread so easy--I occasionally use PL w/ the 01 and 02 lens. No different than any other lens as far as I found.
Exactly as you say--the PL is (most) useful on the Q, as it reduces the brightness of blue sky, which helps w/ limited DR of the Q.
BTW I used inexpensive HOYA PL (simply because I found it used in the right diameter and inexpensive). And I believe it is a linear PL.

Correction it is a 30.5 mm circular PL. Most of my other PL's are linear standard (older) Tiffens. I find linear works fine.

Last edited by dms; 04-24-2015 at 08:12 AM.
04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I use a PL a lot w/ my Q--mostly with the wide lens (FL equivalent of about 35mm on FF). I taped a 30.5 mm filter ring (removed glass from a filter) to the lens--and then attach hood, PL, etc. to that.
The other lenses have filter thread so easy--I occasionally use PL w/ the 01 and 02 lens. No different than any other lens as far as I found.
Exactly as you say--the PL is (most) useful on the Q, as it reduces the brightness of blue sky, which helps w/ limited DR of the Q.
BTW I used inexpensive HOYA PL (simply because I found it used in the right diameter and inexpensive). And I believe it is a linear PL.

Correction it is a 30.5 mm circular PL. Most of my other PL's are linear standard (older) Tiffens. I find linear works fine.
The one thing I wonder about is how modifying incoming light waves affects the diffraction issues which affect the small-sensored Q.
04-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The one I have works well, it's a Rocketfish 40.5mm and wasn't very expensive. It helps quite a bit with blown highlights. Less than $6 including shipping Amazon prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-RF-CP405-40-5mm-Circular-Polarizer/dp/B006VZ4Z8G

Last edited by CheepShot; 04-24-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added link
04-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I'm thinking about getting a polarizing filter for my Q mainly for landscape shots as a help for the sensor which has somewheat limited dynamic range. I used such a filters for film cameras and was happy with the results. However I'm not sure if the same results can be obtained for the really small lenses (having filter threads about 30 mm in my case). The question is if with such a small lenses the filters do not influence the image quality too much (I do not plan to buy B&W or other priced alike).

Has someone good or bad expierence with PL filters on the tiny lenses, that could be shared here?

I never leave home without a Hoya polarizer or at the very least a ND4 filter on my Q7. First I use mine in conjunction with the built in ND filter to reduce the harsh sunlight we encounter out here in Arizona which is the home of SP100 sun tan lotion, and secondly to improve saturation of colors which are washed out by the intense sun. I value the control the polarizer gives me over the sky especially on B&W shots. I appreciate the fact that the 01, 02 and 06 lenses all use the same 40.5mm filter size. I have not really noticed any deterioration of image quality when using my polarizer but then the type of shots I am employing the Q7 for out of door is not as critical as what I am using it for indoors. (Usually when I am out riding my bicycle doing errands or on some local motorcycle trips.) As a precaution against damage to the lens, day or night, I never leave the house without some kind of filter on any of my cameras and they were the first accessories I purchased for my first Q and now use on my Q7. The ability to screw on external filters is one benefit the Q has over some other cameras.
04-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the answers so far!

04-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'll suggest spending less on a CP and more on a higher quality Variable ND Filter. In my experience, it's easy to find a good CP but, I have yet to find a good NDX cheap.
04-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Yep I've been using a Kenko circular polariser on my Q almost since the first day. It works fine. The nice thing is that one size fits all the lenses.
04-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Pentax 40.5 CP for Q - kinda pricey I guess but what da hey.
04-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Mine is stuck on and filter wrenches of this size is not common/
04-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickone Quote
Mine is stuck on and filter wrenches of this size is not common/
Wrap a flat rubber band like they use for bunches of vegetables around it and then try and twist it off.
04-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Wrap a flat rubber band like they use for bunches of vegetables around it and then try and twist it off.
Thanks, that worked, I knew broccoli and asparagus were good for you. I always save these, I wrapped it in half for a tight fit.
04-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #15
Forum Member

Have look @ Marumi Super DHG. Very high quality less the high price. As I recall my own 40.5 Super DHG CPL was 30USD on sale. Typically the price is 50-55USD.