Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Excellent images Piotrek K. You are great with 110 lenses on the Q!
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Thank you! It is simple as these lenses are great. 50 mm is really easy to focus with looong focusing throw.
...but I also do not have any genuine Q-lens...

Last edited by Piotrek K; 02-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.
05-26-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Original Poster
50/2.8 - genuine Q

Definitely handy telephoto setup - I was able to take it with me on 1-day overseas business trip with handluggage only...
05-29-2017, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
50/2.8 for birding (kind of...)

Few more from the same day - also with 50/2.8 lens

05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent images Piotrek K. You have manual focusing and using the 110 50 down pat. You've motivated me to drag the 50 out and give it another spin.
Thanks for sharing
barondla

05-31-2017, 12:08 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Excellent images Piotrek K. You have manual focusing and using the 110 50 down pat. You've motivated me to drag the 50 out and give it another spin.
Thanks for sharing
barondla
Thank you!
09-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #81

I've read this thread with interest, but I am an aged bear of very little brain, so I do not understand things immediately, but once I get it I understand. I'm also somewhat maladroit, my mother always accused me of being ham-fisted, and she was right!

Now some of you cleverer chaps have talked about using rings of varying types, but what I don't understand is how the formula for calculating the aperture is arrived at. If you don't mind teaching a thicko who is wanting to learn, can you explain s-l-o-w-l-y for me? Pretty please.

I would love to get hold of these lenses and use them based on the results I've seen here. I already have two Q-S1 bodies and some Q lenses. I'm beginning to explore the Q system and I'm enjoying it, but it's the lack of good prime lenses which has frustrated me, not that I'm disappointed with the 01 and the 02 and 06; the 08 will be used soon and hopefully will prove useful later when I next visit Venice for a personal project of mine.
09-13-2017, 09:08 AM - 3 Likes   #82
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gwailo Ang Mo Quote
Now some of you cleverer chaps have talked about using rings of varying types, but what I don't understand is how the formula for calculating the aperture is arrived at. If you don't mind teaching a thicko who is wanting to learn, can you explain s-l-o-w-l-y for me?
You don't have to really calculate it, just try discs with various apertures and compare the exposure in manual mode to the 01 at various apertures and note the result when they are the same. That said, I have found that a disc with a 5mm hole situated in the adapter directly behind the rear element of the 110 lens will give the exact result of f4.5 for all four of the Pentax 110 prime lenses. A 3mm hole would give about f5.6, a 2mm hole about f8. Numerous tests on the forum and from my personal experience gives optimum results at f4.5. 5.6 should work, with some diffraction degradation of center sharpness, but improved depth of field.

Discs with the hole in it can be found with the Lensbaby kits, or you maybe able to find a plumbing washer with the right sized hole. It should be 26mm to 31mm wide over-all, the wider discs will fit—you make a dome when pushing them in from the rear of the adapter.

If you can, get a complete kit with 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, and 70mm lenses and the matching closeup lenses:
The W21 for the 18mm (46mm x 32mm Field Of View)
The S31 for the 24mm (46mm x32mm FOV)
The S16 for the 24mm (32mm x24mm FOV)
The T43 for the 50mm (46mm x32mm FOV)
The T86 for the 50mm (60mm x 45mm FOV)
The 70mm accepts standard 49mm accessory lenses.
The S31 and S16 can be stacked to give 24mm x 18mm FOV.
The T43 and T86 can be stacked for 32mmx24mm FOV

These closeup lenses are high quality and since the Q-S1 sensor only uses the center of the field, give good edge to edge sharpness. The 24mm, in particular, makes for a tiny macro set-up.

A few caveats:

The cheap Pentax 110 to Pentax Q adapters work well, but the lens is held in place by a pair of brass bands that may have to be periodically tightened with a small thin blade screwdriver or knife.
The adapters may need a little shimming (a single layer of tape underneath the inner ring) to achieve proper infinity focus-be careful not to strip the heads of the bolts holding the inner ring to the mount.
The adapters have some bright chrome inside (that will be normally be covered when using a stop-down disc), they may cause reflections when used without.

These lenses really need deep lens hoods. Except for the 70mm (which has a 49mm thread) the lens filter rings are odd sizes (25.5mm, 30.5mm, 37.5mm), although I believe they were common in older British cameras. I used parts from broken cameras and even an old flashlight to fashion them.

Except for the 70mm (I have a 100mm Canon LTM which I like better) I use these lenses a lot. They give a different "look" than the modern Q lenses.

If you only get one, get the 50mm. If you want a tiny macro set-up, get the 24mm with the closeup lenses. The 18mmm is versatile, but you already have that focal length covered.

Good luck!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 09-23-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: more information
09-13-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Good luck!
Well. Um. Well. You've certainly given my taste for a new adventure an extra piquancy! Do you also realise you have been far too helpful?

In all seriousness, many thanks for your reply and the obvious time and effort put into it, for which I am really most grateful.

Looking around the web for the relevant bits and bobs, it seems there is plenty about to choose from, either individually or as a bundle of one sort or another, and variable quality to boot. It's almost tempting to make sure I have a working body and get film for it as well! Thanks to Lomography it seems there is a chance to have some extra fun. I get enough looks when I've used my Q-S1, the 110 auto would turn even more heads!

Again, my sincere thanks.
09-13-2017, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #84
Unregistered User

Well. Um. Well. You've certainly given my taste for a new adventure an extra piquancy! Do you also realise you have been far too helpful?

In all seriousness, many thanks for your reply and the obvious time and effort put into it, for which I am really most grateful.

Looking around the web for the relevant bits and bobs, it seems there is plenty about to choose from, either individually or as a bundle of one sort or another, and variable quality to boot. It's almost tempting to make sure I have a working body and get film for it as well! Thanks to Lomography it seems there is a chance to have some extra fun. I get enough looks when I've used my Q-S1, the 110 auto would turn even more heads!

Again, my sincere thanks.
You're welcome! I can't recall any photo equipment I've had that had so much bang for the buck, and certainly none as fun to use!
09-14-2017, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've read this thread with interest, but I am an aged bear of very little brain, so I do not understand things immediately, but once I get it I understand. I'm also somewhat maladroit, my mother always accused me of being ham-fisted, and she was right!

Now some of you cleverer chaps have talked about using rings of varying types, but what I don't understand is how the formula for calculating the aperture is arrived at. If you don't mind teaching a thicko who is wanting to learn, can you explain s-l-o-w-l-y for me? Pretty please.
You do not really have to calculate too much. For 50mm and also 18 mm not too much stop down is needed to perform pleasantly. Just look at the rear glass element in the lens, use something tad smaller and check for image improvement. I had improvised aperture in my 18 mm lens giving circa f 5.6, but now I glued the new one which seems to be in f4 range. This is enough for this lens to perform pleasantly. But I will keep same f 5.6 "aperture ring" in 24 lens mainly for macro use (24 mm is worse wide open compared to 18 mm lens, so this makes sense anyway). Many things can work as a material to cut the aperture - as long as they are black, matte and thin.
09-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
You do not really have to calculate too much. For 50mm and also 18 mm not too much stop down is needed to perform pleasantly. Just look at the rear glass element in the lens, use something tad smaller and check for image improvement. I had improvised aperture in my 18 mm lens giving circa f 5.6, but now I glued the new one which seems to be in f4 range. This is enough for this lens to perform pleasantly. But I will keep same f 5.6 "aperture ring" in 24 lens mainly for macro use (24 mm is worse wide open compared to 18 mm lens, so this makes sense anyway). Many things can work as a material to cut the aperture - as long as they are black, matte and thin.
Piotrek, my thanks for coming back to me. I've not used the Q-S1 as much as I would have liked (the lack of a viewfinder is the only really major irritation for me) but it looked like a fun camera with some good lenses, the sample images I saw did not disappoint nor did the best of the relatively few photos I've taken. These lenses seem to open up further what is possible. I hope my ability, my imagaination and the photo opportunities can match the potential.
09-15-2017, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #87

I've bitten the bullet, and despite an unsuccessful last minute attempt to thwart my bid on eBay I now am the owner of a box containing the Pentax Auto 110 camera (not working), flash, motor drive, three lenses with rubber hoods (18mm, 24mm & 50mm), and nine filters.

Including postage and customs charges as it's coming from the US to the UK, that's costing me $94.36. I'm getting an adapter for the Q and also for the M43 to sit on my Lumix GF1. I'm going to be busy for a while so it's unlikely I'll get round to using the lenses and filters until much later.

I hope I can find decent subjects to photograph and also end up with some decent images too.
09-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #88
Unregistered User

Congratulations! You might find a use for the mount on the camera, the rubber hoods are pretty flimsy but you might be able to use the rings. It looks like you probably have the whole set of close-up lenses.
09-24-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentax Auto - 110 24/2.8 with genuine Q

09-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #90
Unregistered User

Hard to believe something so tiny can give such nice results!