Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK all you wild and Quazy guys . . . let MizMag have her fun now. Don't want to Qonvert's first time!

05-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, seen it about a week ago at a camera store here where I live at. They had it on out on display. Just seeing the size of it, I told the lady that worked there that it's the perfect size (and present) for a young kid (like middle school age).
05-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Those stats for the Olympus vs QS1 I found were a tad misleading. The QS1 is definitely way smaller! They should have called it "C" for CUTE. :P
I need a visualization please (been told I lack imagination)
05-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's going to have to wait till tomorrow now. I'm done with playing with my new toy for today. It's near midnight and I have to be up at freaking 8 AM so afternoon sometime, tomorrow...

05-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Congrats mags! Reading your excitement makes me want to dust off my q too. I also picked up a 110 lens the other day. Waiting on adapter atm - it cost more than the lens... :/
05-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The QS1 as compared to one of my blinged up E-P3's. Also the Ricoh VF on Q...Or is it a Robin VF? I have no clue. Wondering about that because it doesn't say Ricoh like you'd expect, but it fits. VF needs a good cleaning, the whole kit was pretty dusty but in good shape otherwise. The Q is a bit thinner as well, but feels tons lighter. The Oly I could never walk around with it in my hand. It needs a neck strap. It's just too heavy for me otherwise, though of course not as much as my DSLR's.

The Q feels much, much lighter. I'm probably going to put a strap on it anyway, but it doesn't need it. I'm thinking about a white case I see on Amazon actually. I like it's looks and it's only $12 strap included. I'm debating between that and a few scattered tiny rainbow crystals and a rainbow strap. If I go that route I'm not going to do the whole camera this time, but I'm considering doing a rainbow dot pattern thing.

This is okay, but I'd still prefer an EVF. Ricoh really needs to make one or at least give this camera touch focus. I like the QS1 but I really like that capacity and I wish it had it.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 07:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Congrats mags! Reading your excitement makes me want to dust off my q too. I also picked up a 110 lens the other day. Waiting on adapter atm - it cost more than the lens... :/
I'm definitely enjoying it, grin. Couldn't you get the one from Fotodiox from Amazon there? It's loads cheaper. I got mine for less than half actually in the warehouse. Dumb luck. They just happened to have one with the aperture ring used. I haven't tried it yet though. Too busy playing with the 110 lenses I got..
Attached Images

Last edited by magkelly; 05-15-2015 at 04:13 PM.
05-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's very windy today. I had a hard time getting a decent shot as the flowers were moving a lot but this is just a quick shot out the front door with the A110 70mm. It's not perfect, but I kind of like it anyway. These hibiscus they're a mix of pink and red with some yellow. I like them a lot. I think they're very pretty but they're kind of hard to capture accurately color-wise. Even my DSLR's have trouble with these. They never come out looking quite like they do in real life. This is pretty close though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
05-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

For 70mm on a Q (handheld?) 'tis Qite impressive!
05-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hand held, yes. I took a few of it front facing me too, but the wind had it folding and dancing so much that I just wasn't getting anything worth keeping. I like the bottom of the flower actually where the stems meet it. It's more interesting sideways I think. Oh and no lensbaby rings. I wasn't using them at that point. That's just me focusing manually, the lens itself, no disc to aid sharpness, hand held. The zoom kit lens is useful but I am really liking the A110 lenses I got for these. They make MF so easy I hardly need the zoom. All of them are pretty sharp, much better than I expected them to be, but I think so far the 50mm seems to be the best for that.

Last edited by magkelly; 05-16-2015 at 11:23 AM.
05-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mag, I recently did a series using the Q7 and 18, 50 and 70 with and without an ~F/4 aperture disk and verified to my own satisfaction that the F/4 reduction was noticeably sharper in every case and that the 50mm was the most impressive of the three. Unfortunately, the 24 was only 'kit-lens-quality' at best.
05-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could have gotten the 24mm and the 20-40mm zoom too but after reading the comments here on both of those I didn't feel they were worth the money. I think I've got the best of the bunch. If I happened to find them at the flea market for a song I might get them anyway but I'm in no rush otherwise. They look so good on the Qs1 though, like they were made for it. The 02 kit lens seems clunky by comparison. I'm going to play with some of my K lenses too Sunday. I've got the Fotodiox adapter in hand. It arrived with the aperture rings.
05-16-2015, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'll have to take that back, at least for the 24mm. Turns out I could get a very cheap copy, like buying a couple of value meals at McDonald's cheap. It's very clean and even has caps, so I figured what the heck. I went and got it anyway. I skip Mickey D's this next weekend, feed the nieces at home for once and I've paid myself back for it, shrug.

This gives me a complete set of the primes and even if the 24mm isn't as great as the rest it's still nice to have it to play with. I don't care much about the 20-40mm zoom. That's what the AF kit lens is for. I just wanted a set of teeny tiny fun little primes that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm not too sure I'd buy the 20-40mm anyway even if I did see it out at the flea market or something. Maybe if the whole Auto 110 kit with several lenses cost me like $20 or something I might, but probably not otherwise.

My Q kit just amuses me to no end. I have the whole thing in a little decorative storage box right now that's all of about 8" square. I can fit the whole darned kit, even with all the batteries and 2 chargers in that box and there's still plenty of room! I mean to swap that out for one of those little water-air tight boxes so I can just throw some desiccant in and keep it in my purse all the time. I'm totally going to be taking this little camera everywhere! Best toy camera EVER, laugh...

Last edited by magkelly; 06-01-2015 at 02:09 AM.
05-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q series cameras are so much fun. Love the 110 lenses. Enjoy.

Have a 110 body that I need to shoot. Lomo makes new 110 film now! Yeay.
thanks
barondla
05-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the lens that the reviews I read mainly said was unimpressive? 24mm, first shot, floral box, low light sans lensbaby disk. 2nd and 3rd shots with disk. The brown box I did use flash. It's not quite as sharp as the 50mm, but it's easily as sharp as the rest of the lenses I have and not bad at all, particularly with the F11 disk in. Sorry for the combined shot. I just wanted to save attachment space.
Attached Images

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 11:04 AM.
05-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Ahh... The Pringles Tube. The photographer's best friend