Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lensbaby Disc Instructions....

Dumb Q? I got the Lensbaby discs. I'm still kind of confused as to how I'm supposed to be using them with the Auto110 lenses. I see people putting things on the front of lenses, at the rear. So which is it? I've got the 18mm, the 50mm and the 70mm to work with. Info appreciated. I'm just looking at the various pics and wondering how to do this the best way...

05-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Dumb Q? I got the Lensbaby discs. I'm still kind of confused as to how I'm supposed to be using them with the Auto110 lenses. I see people putting things on the front of lenses, at the rear. So which is it? I've got the 18mm, the 50mm and the 70mm to work with. Info appreciated. I'm just looking at the various pics and wondering how to do this the best way...
I do not use them, but IIRC some Members here use them inside the P-110/Q adapter. Most probably putting step-down rings in the front (screwing them in the filter thread) can act as a shade, but it is not easy to stop- down the lenses this way.

---------- Post added 05-14-15 at 08:34 AM ----------

...and when you optimize your solutions please share this here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/294184-pentax-auto-110-lenses-q.html
05-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In the rear (stick it into the adapter so it ends up near the rear element, which is more or less how the actual 110 body has it -- in the body just behind the lens) -- they should fit perfectly in the adapter.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 05-14-2015 at 07:51 AM.
05-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not so much a dumb question but did you use the search to find the answer before posting the question? There are a few threads on this board that have demonstrated how folks are using these disks.

05-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I did. Clearly from what I said, I did. I just saw people using these discs and similar things in various ways and I wasn't quite sure of what they were doing, why or how. I get now where they go, but I'm still not sure of what size disk size goes in what lens and that or why it works. I was looking for a bit clearer and maybe a more technical explanation as to what exactly people are doing with these. Most of those posts they just kind of assume that you're going to get it 100% and frankly I didn't. Like I said, probably a dumb question, but I honestly wasn't getting it, not entirely. I kind of sort of did, but I kept feeling like I wasn't getting it right somehow, so I asked.

Like I said, probably a dumb question but I really could use a more in depth explanation of what discs to use and why and how. Note, I'm not exactly batting 1000 the past few days. I realize I am being a bit dense but I've barely recovered from a horrible migraine that I've had all week and my brain cells aren't exactly working well just now. They've spent the week feeling like they were being jack hammered. My head is still aching a bit and I'm foggy and still a little slow on the intake just now. I'm only human. I'm allowed to be a dumb arse once in a while and ask a dumb arse question... ;P

Last edited by magkelly; 05-14-2015 at 10:06 AM.
05-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The f/8 disc is approximately neutral and the f/11 disc is approximately 1 stop down. Since all the 110 lenses are f/2.8, that means the f/11 disc is f/4 and the f/16 disc is f/5.6 and those are probably the only two you'd ever need to use...
05-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, that helped but does which lens it is matter at all or does that work for all the A110 lenses? I'm just wondering if the effect is pretty much the same across the range or not. I would think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Like I said I have the 18mm, the 50mm and the 70mm. Thanks!

05-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Okay, that helped but does which lens it is matter at all or does that work for all the A110 lenses? I'm just wondering if the effect is pretty much the same across the range or not. I would think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Like I said I have the 18mm, the 50mm and the 70mm. Thanks!
Yeah, all the same since they are all f/2.8-- notice there are no electronics or linkages so the old 110 body would have not known what lens was on it and would have sized the aperture for a given number the same no matter the lens...
05-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well they arrived today but any major experimentation is going to have to wait till Sunday probably. I got the food shopping done for both households, but I still have to do like six loads of laundry, ditto, and I have to vacuum the whole house and put down more food grade dichotomous earth this weekend. Darned fleas are INSANELY bad in our area this year and they're apparently immune to everything now. None of the available sprays have worked, nor the gels, not even the tablets are much effective against them. My vet admits they're stumped for solutions. So does my bug guy. Everything they have just isn't working worth beans this year. I'm back to flea combing every night and bathing the cats weekly like I used to have to when I was a kid and flea gels weren't available. I'm putting the food grade earth down because it desiccates the little blood sucking thugs but even with doing that, bathing and a topical/oral flea regime we still are fighting them constantly. It's like they're super powered fleas or something...
05-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magkelly, sorry to hear about the pest and migraine problems. Hope you get every thing sorted soon. Hang in there.

With the 110 adapter off the camera and no lens attached, the adapter is a hollow tube. Stick a finger in the back and you will notice the interior is smooth until you reach a ridge. The Lensbaby discs friction fit in the adapter tube. Just push the disc until it rests against the ridge. I just leave the f11 disc in the adapter all the time.

To remove disc take the adapter off camera. Remove lens and poke a finger in from the front. Disc will pop out. I "built" a tool to remove disc without taking the lens off. Just put a 90 degree bend in a paper clip end. Stick bend thru LB aperture and give a slight pull. Put adapter back on camera.
thanks
barondla
05-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nominal 1" rubber o-ring available from any hardware source may help position and secure the disks. If the disk is tilted or isn't firmly held against the lip in the adapter it can cause un-centered results.

Somewhere back in either the MaQro or the DIY threads I also posted that 1" diameter diopter lenses of various power (such as salvaged from a jeweler's eye loup) can be similarly used, with or without the aperture disks, for close/macro focus results with excellent results.

( Both o-rings and eye loups can be found at Harbor Freight. )
05-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A nominal 1" rubber o-ring available from any hardware source may help position and secure the disks. If the disk is tilted or isn't firmly held against the lip in the adapter it can cause un-centered results.

Somewhere back in either the MaQro or the DIY threads I also posted that 1" diameter diopter lenses of various power (such as salvaged from a jeweler's eye loup) can be similarly used, with or without the aperture disks, for close/macro focus results with excellent results.

( Both o-rings and eye loups can be found at Harbor Freight. )
The lensbaby discs fit quite firmly in my adapter, no need for additional support.
05-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Granted, however, other accessory options may be available to others and stacking O-rings before the disk offers options to experiment with spacing or for other disks that may not be press-fit. Also to secure any disks that may be a loose fit. The lens release mechanism can interfere with perpendicular seating in some cases and a spacer O-ring may help.

My best results have been with metal washers with minimal orifice thickness (affects diffusion) and beveled edges as close to the rear of the lens as possible.

Nothing scientific here, just pay attention to wave patterns passing through a breakwater entrance to a harbor -- wave theory seems to apply to light waves as well despite the wide frequency difference.

At this level we're all trial-and-error experimenters.