Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It Only Took Me 40 Some Odd Years But...

I think I finally impressed my one gadget loving brother. He dropped off my nieces for a visit. I was playing with Q before they arrived and it was still on the table when he came in with the girls. He looks down, sees the tiny camera with the tiny lenses, stops dead, smiles (a rare sight for he's a very dour fellow by nature) and says "What the F is THAT?" I told him and he took a look at it and checked it out. He then asked to borrow it for the weekend and I said "Are you daft? Hell no!" Lest you think I am being harsh, I am not. I don't trust him with my cameras. I have learned not to. He is very careless with his own electronics. He pretty much views them as disposable devices because he can afford to replace them easily. I like my new toy. I'm not sharing. I've never seen him this taken with a camera though. I have a feeling he just might end up owning one. I might help him pick it out and equip it though I guess if he's nice...

05-19-2015, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Get him to buy the premium kit with the wide angle. Then when he gets bored with it, buy it off him for cheap hahaha
05-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He'll kill it before he's bored with it. This is the same guy who btw is in some highly technical military related career who has managed to kill the last THREE pricey cell phones he's owned by dropping them into water. He dropped one into a toilet, lost one on vacation by putting it on a rail over a bridge and knocking it off and lost one while fishing by dropping it into the water while grabbing his fish off the line. He's also killed 3 point and shoot cameras that I know of and can't keep a watch on his wrist hardly without managing to smash the face. If he does indeed buy a Q I seriously doubt it will last him six months. I am known to be clumsy but he is Urkel level accident prone...
05-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
He'll kill it before he's bored with it. This is the same guy who btw is in some highly technical military related career who has managed to kill the last THREE pricey cell phones he's owned by dropping them into water. He dropped one into a toilet, lost one on vacation by putting it on a rail over a bridge and knocking it off and lost one while fishing by dropping it into the water while grabbing his fish off the line. He's also killed 3 point and shoot cameras that I know of and can't keep a watch on his wrist hardly without managing to smash the face. If he does indeed buy a Q I seriously doubt it will last him six months. I am known to be clumsy but he is Urkel level accident prone...
I'm known in my family as the guy who has managed to kill (via water) three different cameras (over the 36 years of our marriage), but those have all been by more imaginative means ... which is one reason my next "primary" camera will be a WR Pentax and why I'd really like them to extend WR methods to the Q-family.

05-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always keep my old ones for when things get nasty, that way if I destroy one I can move one down and get a new one
05-19-2015, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Qs do trigger the Puppy/Kitten reflex in some people. Q is ideal for them because it doesn't become a Dog/Cat by growing up & becoming less qute or adorable
05-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My brother is a jerk. I told him yesterday that he couldn't borrow my QS1, so what does he do, he comes back over here while just my Dad is here this morning and asks him if he's seen it around, tells him that I said I'd let him borrow it this weekend. HE BLATANTLY LIES and starts looking around for it so he can snag it and take it home without my consent. Fortunately I'd put it away in a good place and told my Dad that I'd said "No." He totally called my brother on the carpet for lying otherwise it might be in his larcenous hands about now. I mean WTF? Do I have to lock up my stuff now to keep my brother from taking whatever he wants? He doesn't take "no" very well obviously. F-head won't be invited into my house for a while, if ever...

05-20-2015, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . 40 Some Odd Years . . .
OK, I give up. What happened during the EVEN years?

05-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
40 some odd meaning somewhat more than 40...You've never heard that expression before? Odd after a number means something more than. It's an old math/accounting thing...
05-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've never heard that expression before?
Of course I have . . . still, I have to wonder about those even years.

Over your left shoulder (if ya look you can't actually see it though) there's a curtained portal on the other side of which is a parallel universe containing all the even years and the events that happened therein.

Odd, isn't it?
05-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mmm, I guess so, laugh. Does it open at will? Can I throw my brother into it and abandon him to his fate? The arse totally deserves it after that stunt. What really makes me mad is now his wife is trying to guilt trip me into letting him borrow it after all, all in the name of family harmony. (Fat chance!) He's got her fighting his battles for him. :P Dad gave me one of his old lock boxes this afternoon and the key. He told me to lock it up until my brother either gives it up or gets one of his own.

FYI, I didn't grow up with him. He's a lot older than I am, all my siblings are but one and even she was raised with her Mom, not with my Dad so I didn't have to share a bedroom or whatever with her. I'm basically an only child who just happens to have siblings. I know kids who are related do this all the time but you don't grow up with them stealing your stuff and acting like siblings you don't really expect it from them as adults. My relationship to my siblings is civil but is actually pretty formal.

I'm closer to their kids than I am to them in some ways so this little stunt it was out of left field and I am a bit taken aback by the idea that he just decided to help himself. I'm told he pulls this stuff on my other half brother, his full brother all the time. He just grabs the new toys and keeps them until he gets bored then gives them back, This is the first time he's pulled it on me. It will be the last too because when I say NO, I mean NO, damn it, and he needs to accept that or we're going to have some major problems he and I.

He actually called me a selfish b- earlier when I told him off for lying to Dad and trying to take advantage of my absence. Apparently I'm not allowed to say NO to him. Dad was none too pleased. He called him a brat and told him to mind his manners and to keep his sticky fingers to himself. I could not believe it. It was like watching a little kid have a tantrum. Clearly my brother is a very spoiled person and very used to getting his way. Okay, I guess I knew that, kind of. He can be rather dominant and bossy when it comes to his wife and kids, but I've never seen him act like it quite to this extent and he's never done it to me. I've often thought that I didn't like my brother much as a person.

My other brother, he's cool, very laid back, but this one he's just a bit fussy and superior, rather hard to get along with sometimes. His wife, well she's okay but she's a bit of a user and frankly a bit of an airhead. Now I know I really don't like him much at all. If I didn't adore his kids I'd probably write him and his wife off and have nothing to do with either of them beyond any necessary interaction needed for Dad's sake. How they are raising such beautiful kids is quite beyond me because none of them is even remotely like their parents.

I am feeling a bit snippy over this. I'm no angel myself but I'd never just take something of value from him and ignore his request that I not mess with it. It's just rude and I don't care if he is my brother. He's not allowed to just be rude to me and to take whatever he wants from me. F that. I just will not allow it and if that makes me a b- in his eyes then so be it...

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 07:21 PM.
05-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He should buy a used one. They're practically giving 'em away. FWIW, I think you have every right to be ticked off.
05-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He's decided he wants a mirrorless actually, but Pentax is too good for him. He's too lazy to manually focus apparently. The minute he found out my tiny toy lenses involved actual work focusing he lost interest in my Q. He's ordered a Nikon which is fine by me as a Q would be a total waste where he is concerned anyway. He's not much of a photographer beyond backyard shots of things cooking on his grill and shots of the kids at theme parks and that. Why he even feels he needs a camera with lenses that can change out is beyond me. You watch he'll be handing his Nikon off to one of the kids before long. The only camera he or his wife ever really use is their phone cams. This is a whim, nothing more. He always does this. Starts lusting after other people's techie toys, buys it for himself, and ends up doing nothing with it. He's got a bad case of toy envy, that's all. He can't stand that I actually have something better than he does...