Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Hi, as you have both, how does the DA 55-300mm lens adapted on a Q-7 compare with the Sigma 70-300 APO optical performance?
Thanks in advance.
Several years ago I did some backyard testing of the five 300mm K-mount lenses I have. I put a paper target at one end of our yard and then took pictures from the other end; the target was attached to a textured lawn chair, so focus peaking was very quick and {I felt} very sure. Since I did all my processing at the end, I took pictures with each camera starting with its widest apertures and ending with f/11. My one concern was that for the other four lenses, I adjusted the aperture using its aperture ring, but for the DA I had to use the adjustment built into the Pentax adapter, so aperture in its case was less precise ... however, as it turned out, that did not matter. Up to f/5.6, the Sigma 70-300 APO and DA 55-300 were basically even, and ahead of the other three. Beyond f/5.6, at apertures where I had expected diffraction to rule, the images from the Sigma improved again at f/6.3 and again at f/8 and then stayed roughly the same at the last two steps, while images from the DA leveled off at f/5.6 and stayed roughly the same for all steps beyond f/5.6. Thus, I concluded that the Sigma was marginally better beyond f/5.6.

This day was sufficiently bright that I was able take all of the pictures at f/8, incidentally.

04-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Several years ago I did some backyard testing of the five 300mm K-mount lenses I have. I put a paper target at one end of our yard and then took pictures from the other end; the target was attached to a textured lawn chair, so focus peaking was very quick and {I felt} very sure. Since I did all my processing at the end, I took pictures with each camera starting with its widest apertures and ending with f/11. My one concern was that for the other four lenses, I adjusted the aperture using its aperture ring, but for the DA I had to use the adjustment built into the Pentax adapter, so aperture in its case was less precise ... however, as it turned out, that did not matter. Up to f/5.6, the Sigma 70-300 APO and DA 55-300 were basically even, and ahead of the other three. Beyond f/5.6, at apertures where I had expected diffraction to rule, the images from the Sigma improved again at f/6.3 and again at f/8 and then stayed roughly the same at the last two steps, while images from the DA leveled off at f/5.6 and stayed roughly the same for all steps beyond f/5.6. Thus, I concluded that the Sigma was marginally better beyond f/5.6.

This day was sufficiently bright that I was able take all of the pictures at f/8, incidentally.
Cheers! I have the Pentax 55-300 already with the official KQ adaptor. Will hunt down a Sigma now I know stopped down it will outperform the Pentax. Any specific version mk 1,2 or 3 whatever for the 70-300 APO?
04-24-2018, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Cheers! I have the Pentax 55-300 already with the official KQ adaptor. Will hunt down a Sigma now I know stopped down it will outperform the Pentax. Any specific version mk 1,2 or 3 whatever for the 70-300 APO?
No specific version .... and remember that the difference is not massive .... a little thing like nailing focus is much more important. I originally had two images I was going to post; the second was an intriguing view - the only time the bird was looking in our direction, but the second time I reviewed it I decided the focusing was off just enough that the bird wasn't as interesting as I had thought on first look, and with these lenses, the difference between 'in focus' and 'not quite there' is just a few degrees. I was constantly refocusing because even with my Hoodman and focus peaking, perfect focus is hard to see {and DOF is not much}

Last edited by reh321; 04-24-2018 at 03:58 AM.
04-24-2018, 03:37 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No specific version .... and remember that the difference is not massive .... a little thing like nailing focus is much more important. I originally had two images I was going to post; the second was an intriguing view - the only time the bird was looking in our direction, but the second time I reviewed it I decided the focusing was off just enough that the bird wasn't as interesting as I had thought on first look, and with these lenses, the difference between 'in focus' and 'not quite these' is just a few degrees. I was constantly refocusing because even with my Hoodman and focus peaking, perfect focus is hard to see {and DOF is not much}
I find the Pentax 55-300 a challenge to focus manually with a small fraction of a degree turn making a difference. The Tamron 70-300 was similar in this respect. Is the Sigma any easier to manually fine focus vs the Pentax?

04-25-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

I find the Pentax 55-300 a challenge to focus manually with a small fraction of a degree turn making a difference. The Tamron 70-300 was similar in this respect. Is the Sigma any easier to manually fine focus vs the Pentax?
Sorry, I haven't used the DA like that in a year, but just playing with it now, the Sigma is no better - and perhaps worse.
04-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #81

that's what I found too.
The best 300 mm-lens for the Q in my Collection is a manual focus Tamron SP 5.6/300 - sharper than every AF-zoom-lens wide opened.
Stopped down there is still an Advantage for the prime.
I found 300 mm to be too Long for the Q and prefer using a manual Sigma APO 3.5-4.5/70-210 for the longest range.
As for the handling I prefer a small M 3.5/135 or the phantastic Tamron SP 2.5/90 macro .
07-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I found a good deal on a Sigma APO 70-300 but for Nikon mount. Can this be adapted to the Pentax K Q adaptor and still have aperture control or do I hold out for a PK mount version.

*edit: Googling up I think I have to be patient wait for a Pentax mount to come my way.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 07-11-2018 at 05:26 AM.
07-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found a good deal on a Sigma APO 70-300 but for Nikon mount. Can this be adapted to the Pentax K Q adaptor and still have aperture control or do I hold out for a PK mount version.

*edit: Googling up I think I have to be patient wait for a Pentax mount to come my way.
Using the K-Mount Adapter for Pentax Q - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com This seems to confirm this. Which brings up an interesting point. The K to Q adapter cannot handle the 55-300 PLM version since it has electronic aperture.