Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Attach the two feed wires from a DC source (up to 30 VDC with this unit) - I'd set up for one or two more AA's/Eneloops than your voltage goal and regulate the load back to the desired voltage - the potentiometer screw on the "blue thingy".

Then build what ever type power cable connection(s) you need to feed the "dummy battery" that goes in the Q-body. With an intermediate plug and jacks you can provide many different types of solutions. Radio Shack has all the connectors you'll need.

The units are cheap enough it's best to simply set one up and label it for each type/voltage of power source you're likely to want to use so you don't have to fiddle with voltage-out adjustments.

You want to choose an aux power source with a generous amp-hr rating for extended operating time. A large D- or C-cell battery pack for instance will last a very long time compared to the camera battery. Or, you could feed it with an AC power-brick when AC power is available and shoot 'forever'. A 12 VDC auto or garden tractor battery or 6 VDC dry cell lantern battery are a possibility too. The VR + 9VDC battery is very compact, has good amp/hr endurance and fits in a small lens case for protection and portability. The freebie flash lights given away by Harbor Freight can easily be converted to 4.5 VDC power packs with switches by tapping to LED power feed points.

Lot's of video for building these on line. Look for " DIY battery pack" etc.

05-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Attach the two feed wires from a DC source (up to 30 VDC with this unit) - I'd set up for one or two more AA's/Eneloops than your voltage goal and regulate the load back to the desired voltage - the potentiometer screw on the "blue thingy"..
The important fact is that the voltage regulator adjusts voltage down (but not up), which is why you want to start with a voltage that is higher than your ultimate goal.

When I asked my original question, I was thinking in terms of using a commercially available holder that holds 4 AA batteries. I tend to think in terms of AA and AAA batteries because I've found that they are always available almost everywhere. For example, when Hurricane Sandy swept through New England (and we were living in Western Mass at the time), local stores were totally out of C and D batteries, but I could still find lots of batteries for my small AA-powered flashlight.
05-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The versatility and cheap cost of these VR chips makes it very convenient to assemble a few units with interchangeable connectors and pre-set them for useful loads to take advantage of whatever power sources happen to be available. With a cheap VOM, a solar charger, a twist of solder and a small butane torch you can devise DC power for electronic devices almost anywhere. (You can solder with nothing more than a magnifying glass (lens?) and sunlight.)

Combined with solar powered DC converters and rechargeable batteries there's many uses for such axillary power devices. Certainly they're a useful addition to any 'survival kit' following a natural disaster such as we're seeing do to flooding and weather.
---------
Side bars:

I've acquired old 12V power tools with dead batteries for next to nothing. Hard wire the battery contacts and you have power tools anywhere you can find a re-chargeable auto battery.

You can modify the barrel of a two, three or four cell flashlight to also provide a DC power jack for use as an emergency battery source - tape and/or silicon sealer keeps it water resistant.

Last edited by pacerr; 05-31-2015 at 09:54 AM.
06-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A standard portable mobiles phone charger such as the eneloop power bank output 5v at 1A. Would this be possible with the VR chip

06-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The simple answer is yes. Check the specs for the power source and the specific LM-chip to ensure they handle the amperage loads and the power supply for smooth, regulated voltage.

Some AC-DC power bricks don't have well regulated DC output while batteries of suitable voltage and amp-hour output provide a reliable source.

If you're going to use AC power why not simply use one of the items designed for that purpose as above? At worst you're only going to have to wire up a feed connector for the "fake battery".
06-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The simple answer is yes. Check the specs for the power source and the specific LM-chip to ensure they handle the amperage loads and the power supply for smooth, regulated voltage.

Some AC-DC power bricks don't have well regulated DC output while batteries of suitable voltage and amp-hour output provide a reliable source.

If you're going to use AC power why not simply use one of the items designed for that purpose as above? At worst you're only going to have to wire up a feed connector for the "fake battery".
Hi Pacerr, this is the Eneloop mobile booster I was referring to. Eneloop QE-QL101.

Battery Appliances | Panasonic Batteries Site

I have the Eneloop QE-PL103 (essentially the same as the QL one) and I have measured the output capable of getting up to 1A @ 5V.
06-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a fine axillary power source an' Eneloop technology has a good reputation.

Some of the flat pack batteries from older personal PDA's and GPS's have promise if you can still find a way to recharge 'em. Keep a broken device around just for that if you find a use for the battery.

06-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Easy. Search for "FENLINK variable voltage regulator" on line or in eBay. There's one based on an LM 2596S variable voltage regulator chip that handles up to 30 VDC. About $3-4 each or less in bulk.

I've used 'em for 12 VDC - to USB avionics projects and hope to get around to matching one up with a 9 VDC battery as a portable source for the Q's one day soon. A 9V connector and a wired plug for the adapter connection an' you should be good to go.

I was planning on building the camera adapter but that may be the easy way out.
Hi Pacerr, would this be the one you have on your thread?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-35V-to-2-2-30V-Boost-Buck-Voltage-New-Module-St...item2ede3f336e
06-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Appears to be an identical circuit and components.

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
. . . would this be the one . . . ?
06-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For doing timelapse near an outlet the generic power adapter works great, even with the door open.

For birding or field work, just having a few extra batteries in my pocket are no trouble at all so I have not tried any of the DIY big battery conversions yet.

I have located a source for 1200 Mah Np-50 batteries that give a longer run time than the standard 940 Mah D-li68 batteries that ship with the Q, and are a direct replacement.
2X NP 50 NP50 Battery for Fujifilm FinePix XP200 XP170 XP150 F850EXR x10 x20 XF1 027242633964 | eBay
06-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks Crewl. Are those replacement batteries good when you tried them?
06-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks Crewl. Are those replacement batteries good when you tried them?
Yes I have already been through them a couple of times on my Q7. They last longer than the regular ones though I have not done any scientific testing to see what the difference in shots or recording time is.
06-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Yes I have already been through them a couple of times on my Q7. They last longer than the regular ones though I have not done any scientific testing to see what the difference in shots or recording time is.
Thanks again. Following your review of these batteries, I have also just bought these from eBay.
06-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kapaxen Complete AC Power Adapter Kit (AC-5VX plus CP-50 DC Coupler) for Fujifilm

I acquired two of these to experiment with and found them perfectly suitable as a battery adapter for the Q's after modifying the position of the power lead to the opposite corner of the case which was an easy fix.

Insert the original adapter into a Q-body to visualize what's needed. File, saw, hack or chew away enough of the opposite corner of the case to allow the lead free exit - there's nothing inside the upper half of the case to worry about.

Pry open the top of the case, re-position the lead and glue it back together.

This adapter may be successfully fed with any stable 5-5.2 VDC power source if you provide the proper power plug as per the discussions above. You may note that USB charging devices are 5VDC and find a search on "USB voltage" interesting. The kit used here provides 5VDC @ 2 A as an example.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 06-07-2015 at 12:31 PM.
06-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Kapaxen Complete AC Power Adapter Kit (AC-5VX plus CP-50 DC Coupler) for Fujifilm

I acquired two of these to experiment with and found them perfectly suitable as a battery adapter for the Q's after modifying the position of the power lead to the opposite corner of the case which was an easy fix.

Insert the original adapter into a Q-body to visualize what's needed. File, saw, hack or chew away enough of the opposite corner of the case to allow the lead free exit - there's nothing inside the upper half of the case to worry about.

Pry open the top of the case, re-position the lead and glue it back together.

This adapter may be successfully fed with any stable 5-5.2 VDC power source if you provide the proper power plug as per the discussions above. You may note that USB charging devices are 5VDC and find a search on "USB voltage" interesting. The kit used here provides 5VDC @ 2 A as an example.
Thanks pacerr for posting this. Does this mean your latest mod will now allow the use of a standard USB mobile phone battery charging pack...like the eneloop one I mentioned earlier perhaps?