Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots! I can almost feel the thrill of taking the shot when I look at them. This inspires me to pull out my Q7 and exercise it. It's been a while.

05-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I just got through reading the linked page. I was struck by your mention at the beginning of selling a K-01 to get the Q7. To me it seems like the K-01 is just a Mega Q, and it's a bit puzzling that somebody who calls the K-01 a "disaster" could love another camera that's so similar only much smaller. I guess size really does matter?

I myself have been through the works with the K-01. It can do a lot of nifty tricks, and I have been favorably inclined toward it in general, and yet I've found myself not actually picking it up and using it much -- and now my K-01 is listed on fleaBay.

I've looked at the Q7 and considered giving it a spin. Watching Blunty's rave reviews makes me want one. Reading Gullwing's review and looking at all those wonderful gallery photos makes me want one. I'm not sure what the logic is, or if it's even something that's subject to logic. Maybe the only way to really understand is to get one.
05-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I just got through reading the linked page. I was struck by your mention at the beginning of selling a K-01 to get the Q7. To me it seems like the K-01 is just a Mega Q, and it's a bit puzzling that somebody who calls the K-01 a "disaster" could love another camera that's so similar only much smaller. I guess size really does matter?

Ergonomics can go a long way in affecting people's perceptions. Don't underestimate it.
05-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q7 or now the S1 to me, are very capable and fun cameras. They are not perfect and are not my main camera, but for snaps, going light, going into places where the big camera would not be easy to use, the Q system is cool. The OP's images are great and I have to say inspire me to do better than I have been doing lately. They also remind me (again) that photography is more about the idiot behind the camera than the camera, however, the size of the Q + the better lenses in the Q-series, can produce some technically excellent images.

05-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote

I myself have been through the works with the K-01. It can do a lot of nifty tricks, and I have been favorably inclined toward it in general, and yet I've found myself not actually picking it up and using it much -- and now my K-01 is listed on fleaBay.

I've looked at the Q7 and considered giving it a spin. Watching Blunty's rave reviews makes me want one. Reading Gullwing's review and looking at all those wonderful gallery photos makes me want one. I'm not sure what the logic is, or if it's even something that's subject to logic. Maybe the only way to really understand is to get one.
So you haven't used a Q yet? And the fact that you're selling the K-01 says a lot: it's just an odd, weird camera. Quite apart from the really dreadful ergonomics (and the awful power button that really DOES switch on every time you put the camera in a bag..), I just don't get the point of the K-01. I really did want to love it, but as it is barely smaller than the K5 with which it shares the sensor, what's the point? Buy a K5, which is a far more practical camera. The K-01 was a solution looking for a problem.

The Q series on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Yes, size is a factor: I can fit a fairly comprehensive photographic kit in a TINY bag (perfect for cycling, motorcycle, or just light travel in general)! Camera, four lenses, micro tripod and batteries (poor battery life, I admit..). But it's not just that: the Q series do somehow inspire a bit of outside-the-box creative thinking. (And the bonus of that is that ideas I've had when using my Q have been ported over to when I use my K3.)

As a camera, I found the K-01 to be less than the sum of its parts. The K3 simply IS the sum of its parts (and it's a damn good result). But the Q7 is somehow far MORE than the sum of its fairly meager parts (on paper).

I really do strongly recommend you buy one (and the 01 lens to start with). I don't think you'll regret it, whatever kind of photography you enjoy.

---------- Post added 05-22-15 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The Q7 or now the S1 to me, are very capable and fun cameras. They are not perfect and are not my main camera, but for snaps, going light, going into places where the big camera would not be easy to use, the Q system is cool. The OP's images are great and I have to say inspire me to do better than I have been doing lately. They also remind me (again) that photography is more about the idiot behind the camera than the camera, however, the size of the Q + the better lenses in the Q-series, can produce some technically excellent images.
Thanks. And I agree with this: the Q isn't going to replace my K3, because sometimes I need/want the abilities and features of the bigger camera. But the Q system seems to me to be the absolute perfect accompaniment to an SLR for any serious photographer.

It's funny. I know a photographer who takes technically competent but astonishingly boring landscape shots. Pretty much every single shot: super wide angle lens usually shot portrait orientation; sun just before it goes down below the horizon; massive rock in the foreground; long exposure to get some movement to clouds etc. He barely deviates from this formula, ever. And when I suggested that maybe a new camera (possibly a Q) might encourage him to take on new subjects and techniques, he clearly thought I was mad, and that if he was going to buy a new camera it would just be the latest and greatest Canon SLR.

I kind of felt a bit of pity really. It's good to challenge yourself, and the Q can help do that.
05-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed.
05-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Interesting. I have an IR converted Pentax K100ds and I love it (no filter needed), but I do have IR filters, so...I'll have to give my Q some IR love. My original Q is all black but I just love the silver and black look of my Q7. Most of my problems with my Q system have been with the manual focus lenses. The 03, 04, and now 05 give me fits getting sharp focus. Actually the 05 does better that the other two but even with focus peaking, I just have a lot of misses on focus. It's a fun system for sure.
The built in IR filter isn't bad, Not quite as dramatic but nice. I shoot most of my B&W with that setting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by pickone; 05-22-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: smaller picture
05-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Some very nice shots! I definitely love my Qs. I need to go out with my Q7 more often but honestly I've been enjoying my K3 so much that it's been hard to find time for either the Q7 or K-01.