Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

anyone have a good comparison of the Q line?

I keep looking at the Q line up, and The only thing I can tell for sure is that the Q10 just doesn't do it for me (It looks sorta dumb...)

Out of the remaining three, how do they compare for IQ, ISO noise, and colour handling? Build quality (I've had the Q referred to as a marvel of engineering)?

I'm looking at it as something to replace getting highly expensive telephoto lenses, and to sort of abuse the crop factor with macro lenses.

06-06-2015, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both the Q and the Q7.

IQ, noise and colour handling: Q7 has noticeably better IQ than the original Q. The raw files can also withstand more processing before it starts breaking down. On JPEGs the Q7 is still better EXCEPT when shooting B&W. The Q's grittiness and sensor noise, IMO, produces more dramatic B&W shots.

Ergonomics: No doubt Q7 is still better. The buttons have better tactile feedback and are easier to press.

The Q feels more solid though.

In the future, I may upgrade and dispose the Q7 for the promise of a better Q, but I'll unlikely sell the Q. I think that it is an iconic camera.
06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
So I'm guessing that the extra 1x (5.6 vs 4.6) on the crop multiplier is going to be out weighed by the loss in IQ from the smaller sensor?
06-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

All I can say is that the original Q is capable of amazing results, I've been astounded by what that tiny sensor can do. I've look long and hard at the Q7 results posted here and elsewhere on the web and don't see a huge difference in IQ, I really don't. Maybe I've got a better copy of the original Q than some, but I was and still am blown away by the little magnesium alloy gem.
I don't use mine with adapters to attach 300mm zoom lenses, I didn't buy a tiny ILC to turn it into a huge K-mount camera - so I can't really comment on IQ in those situations.

06-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It isn't a gigantic difference, but it is there. Q7 makes a bit cleaner images, diffraction takes less of a toll when you stop down, less noise (and so ability to shoot at higher ISO).
06-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
I keep looking at the Q line up, and The only thing I can tell for sure is that the Q10 just doesn't do it for me (It looks sorta dumb...)

Out of the remaining three, how do they compare for IQ, ISO noise, and colour handling? Build quality (I've had the Q referred to as a marvel of engineering)?

I'm looking at it as something to replace getting highly expensive telephoto lenses, and to sort of abuse the crop factor with macro lenses.
Here's a comparison of the two Q sensors:
Pentax Q7 Review - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The Q and Q10 are about the same, and the Q7 and Q-S1 are also about the same.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You will get a wider FoV, lower noise, a bit more dynamic range, no AA filter, and a significantly more responsive camera. All of that put together gives you a good jump upward from the original Q. It's not perfect. You still won't get DSLR-like performance in terms of speed and responsiveness. I shoot RAW and I feel like it's easier to process the images. They sharpen up easier due to the increased contrast and lack of AA filter. I don't feel like I'm fighting the histogram as much as before when recovering highlights and shadows.

Many people don't like the build quality of the Q7 but I think it's fine. Sure, there's plenty of plastic but what camera doesn't have plastic? Overall, it feels solid and small. Nothing rattles or shakes. I'm totally OK with it.

I have the 01, 02, 03, and 06 lenses. They are teeny tiny and make for an excellent travel kit.
06-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Many people don't like the build quality of the Q7 but I think it's fine. Sure, there's plenty of plastic but what camera doesn't have plastic? Overall, it feels solid and small. Nothing rattles or shakes. I'm totally OK with it..
I dropped my Q-7 twice (onto a dirt path) on our birding trip two weeks ago. It still works fine.

I have the 01, 02, 03, and 06 lenses. They are teeny tiny and make for an excellent travel kit.
My basic kit contains the 01 and 06 lenses, which is very similar to the kit I used with my Super Program thirty years ago.

06-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Okay, second question: if i had the chance ti get a used QS1 for $300 with the kit lens, would that be reasonable?
06-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

They sharpen up easier due to the increased contrast and lack of AA filter.
Don't think the original Q has one either. Don't think many if any compact cams have them...
06-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

I have used Q and Q7.

Q7 has significantly better IQ. This is not only due to lower noise level. Photographs taken with Q7 are sharper. Q7 RAW files give noticeably more details than RAW files from original Q. Sometimes I have felt that photographs from original Q in maximum zoom (1:1) look like little blurred (not only less sharp). Maybe the AA filter in Q is too strong (?).

Sorry but I do not see any disadvantages of Q7 design in comparison with original Q . Plastic vs magnesium? Is it really important in this size camera?

In my opinion Q7 is more user friendly than Q. And 03 lens in Q7 is more "fisheyed" .
06-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't think the original Q has one either. Don't think many if any compact cams have them...
I'm pretty sure the original Q had one. Please correct me if I am wrong.

QuoteOriginally posted by bladawiec Quote
I have used Q and Q7.

Q7 has significantly better IQ. This is not only due to lower noise level. Photographs taken with Q7 are sharper. Q7 RAW files give noticeably more details than RAW files from original Q. Sometimes I have felt that photographs from original Q in maximum zoom (1:1) look like little blurred (not only less sharp). Maybe the AA filter in Q is too strong (?).

Sorry but I do not see any disadvantages of Q7 design in comparison with original Q . Plastic vs magnesium? Is it really important in this size camera?

In my opinion Q7 is more user friendly than Q. And 03 lens in Q7 is more "fisheyed" .
An uncropped RAW image taken with the 03 lens results in a circular fish eye view. There is little to gain in terms of detail at the edges but the effect is kind of cool. The Q7 crops the original data and stretches it back out to fill the JPG space.
06-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure the original Q had one. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Pretty sure it doesn't have one. Pixel density is such that it doesn't need one. (The Q7 would need one more, in theory.)
06-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

@vonBaloney : I have been Google searching for some info on whether the Q has a filter or not. Most articles/postings say it doesn't but then there's a handful that say it does. I'll go with that it doesn't ... although I could have sworn it did! The Q7 doesn't have one for sure.
06-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #15

to me the biggest difference isn't picture iq, although that is noticeably better. The Q7 and newer are significantly faster in use I guess from a processor upgrade. This to me is a deal breaker.
J