Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Q-S1 Sensor coating issue

I have a Pentax Q-S1 here that had some specks on the sensor glass. I used some sensor swabs I ordered from Amazon that have worked for me on my sony cameras to clean the sensor. After a bit of swabbing at the Q's glass, it looked as though one of the smudges kept getting larger- after letting it totally dry and looking closer, it appears that some of the coating of the sensor glass is coming off.

I was shocked by this as delicate as I was trying to be with the little Q's sensor.

I am realizing that the glass is actually a cover over the actual sensor, feels as though it's held in place by some pressure springs/clips. Does anyone know if this glass cover is user replaceable? I didn't attempt to remove it. I unfortunately was unable to find anything purchasable around the web. I don't know if this would be covered by warranty. I am feeling a bit upset about it and any help is greatly appreciated. I haven't shot any photos with it yet as I'm in my dim lit house and the sun's down right now. Frustrated.

Thanks all.

06-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Recently I was changing lenses on my brand new Q7, and I fumbled and poked the sensor glass with the tip of my pinkie finger, smudging it with a fingerprint. And oil is the worst, really, because it doesn't just brush off with a sensor brush, such as I would normally use to remove loose dust. I had to try and clean it, but my biggest fear was that I'd damage the SR system if I applied any pressure. I ended up using a lens pen for most of it, and I seem to have got lucky -- I didn't cause any damage that I can detect.

I don't know what is Pentax's official policy on this. Having an E-M5 here too, I do know that Olympus say their sensors are not to be cleaned by the user -- at all, ever. If it needs cleaning, you're supposed to send it to Olympus.
06-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hmmm...I highly doubt a coating is coming off -- sure you're just not seeing residue from the dried cleaning stuff? Or you have an oily stain and it is just getting spread around?
06-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy the pentax sensor cleaning gumby wand and give that a go (Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1). It's the tool that Leica uses to clean customer's cameras, so it can't be wrong.
It's very easy to use and no risk. I would let Stevie Wonder clean my sensor with this.
There's some video on youtube showing it in use.

06-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Looking at it closer in the day and I can clearly see that there is a 1/3rd area of the glass where the purple tinted coating appears to be missing. There doesn't appear to be any scratches, just that missing area of coating. This is so strange. I've used these same swabs on my Sony mirrorless with no issues at all. I hope Pentax wants to grant me warranty coverage for this. What a big bummer. These coatings on the Q protective glass must be very sensitive, either that I have a defect.
06-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote
Looking at it closer in the day and I can clearly see that there is a 1/3rd area of the glass where the purple tinted coating appears to be missing. There doesn't appear to be any scratches, just that missing area of coating. This is so strange. I've used these same swabs on my Sony mirrorless with no issues at all. I hope Pentax wants to grant me warranty coverage for this. What a big bummer. These coatings on the Q protective glass must be very sensitive, either that I have a defect.
Just to echo VB. . . If there's an oily smudge on the glass, it can make it look like the coating is gone. If you have a lens pen, you might try wiping it gently with that and see what happens. At this point it doesn't sound like there's much to lose by trying.
06-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm willing to bet it is a stain unless someone replaced your cleaner with acid. So don't panic, and don't do anything reckless -- I really really doubt there is anything wrong at all. Oily stains can be tough to get off.