Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Applying smart effects to raw

I have a Pentax Q and my pictures are saved on RAW+ format. Although I can apply any of the digital filters by in camera raw processing, I doesn't see the option to apply the smart effects. So, I'm wondering if there's a way to apply these smart effects on a raw file ? Is there anyone here who knows the how to do this ?

It seems I can only apply these effects when shooting, but then the Q only save a jpg and not the Raw, unless I manually save it after each shot by pressing the +/- button. Which isn't very practical...

06-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

You can do it in the newer Q bodies, but not the earlier ones.
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Hi, guys. This post is so close to the question I had I just want to jump in here rather than start another one. I thought I read somewhere that the Q smart effects could be applied in PP, which I took to mean Silkypix.
Narual, your answer leads me to believe you're talking about doing the conversion in camera, is that correct? I have a Q7 and 2 original Q's and I love the smart effects. I would like to be able to just go out and shoot everything in RAW and then come back and in PP convert some of the images to 'Tone Expansion', my favorite effect.
If it can't be done in PP does the in camera conversion have to be done after every shot or can you go back at the end of a day and selectively convert pictures from the memory card? I don't have my stuff with me right now or I would try it. I'm taking a trip in 3 weeks and still trying to sort out if the Q's will be all I need or do I carry something bigger?
07-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

I think an experienced photoshop user should be able to reproduce any of the Q effects in PS and then save them as an action for later use.

07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I think an experienced photoshop user should be able to reproduce any of the Q effects in PS and then save them as an action for later use.
Experienced PS user? Well, Professor, for now that leaves me out...
07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, in-body. You have the Q7 body, so presumably it would be quite simple for you to test. But no, it's not like 'save as raw' or whatever where you can only do it on the last shot you took. You can apply any of the Q effects to a shot on the Q after the fact, through the playback menu.

I'd like to find a preset for Lightroom that has the same effect as the Q's Bold Monochrome. There are some similar ones, but I haven't found one that had the same look.
07-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I'd like to find a preset for Lightroom that has the same effect as the Q's Bold Monochrome. There are some similar ones, but I haven't found one that had the same look.
Find a product called Silver Efex Pro 2. It loads into Lightroom and provides numerous B&W effects some similar and others better than the Monochrome effects that are produced by the Q series. There are several You Tube Videos demonstrating this package. If you are serious about doing B&W then this is a must have. Do a Google search to find distributors.
07-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Find a product called Silver Efex Pro 2. It loads into Lightroom and provides numerous B&W effects some similar and others better than the Monochrome effects that are produced by the Q series. There are several You Tube Videos demonstrating this package. If you are serious about doing B&W then this is a must have. Do a Google search to find distributors.
I have it. It doesn't do the same effect. I can get close if I screw with the settings enough, but not exactly.

07-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your help!

Converting the DNG to B&W with third party software is what I will do. Anyway, this is what I already do with my K-500, so it's no big deal doing it with the Q files. I'm using Onone Perfect B&W for conversion and it works great.

That said, the fact that, on the original Q, you cannot automatically save the DNG when using smart effects, or cannot apply them on the DNG, make these somewhat useless for me. I don't want to use these effects on a picture without having the DNG as a safety net in case the effect don't work. And having to manualy save them every them is kind of awkward.

So, I guess I will just forget using the smart effects on the Q.