Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Slow read speed of Q Raw files on iPad

Hi, I usually edit Q photos on iPad, especially when I'm travelling. I connect the SD card to the iPad via camera connection kit. It takes AGES for the iPad to read the Q's raw files. Never had this problem with photos taken with other cameras. Anyone know the issue? Is it because they're DNG? I don't even want to edit the Raw files on the iPad. I take Raw+, and just want the JPEGs to show up on the iPad so I can copy them over and edit them.

Thanks.

06-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mklives Quote
Hi, I usually edit Q photos on iPad, especially when I'm travelling. I connect the SD card to the iPad via camera connection kit. It takes AGES for the iPad to read the Q's raw files. Never had this problem with photos taken with other cameras. Anyone know the issue? Is it because they're DNG? I don't even want to edit the Raw files on the iPad. I take Raw+, and just want the JPEGs to show up on the iPad so I can copy them over and edit them.

Thanks.
Reading DNG files would certainly make a difference. Looking at files created by my Q7, I see that a DNG file is roughly 20 mb, while a JPG file is typically around 2.5 mb, so when you copy a DNG file you're copying 8 times as many bytes.
06-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Reading DNG files would certainly make a difference. Looking at files created by my Q7, I see that a DNG file is roughly 20 mb, while a JPG file is typically around 2.5 mb, so when you copy a DNG file you're copying 8 times as many bytes.
Since I'm taking Raw+Jpeg, I don't see why it doesn't just read and display the thumbnails of the Jpegs when I connect the SD card. That's what happened with previous cameras. Took a couple of seconds, whereas with the Q, it takes about 10 minutes just for the thumbnails to show up on the iPad before I even copy them over.
06-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try two options.

1. Record just RAW (DNG) and then import.
2. Record just JPG and then import.

This will inform you about which of the JPG, RAW *DNG) or RAW + JPG is taking the most time.

Could be that the version of the iPad you are using does not adequately recognise the files from the Q.

Regards

Chris

06-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take RAW only and experience the same slowness. I suspect the Photos is skipping the +JPEG and going straight to the RAW when importing, so the iPad has to process a bunch of RAW files just to show you thumbnails.

I usually plan around this, starting the import/preview at the beginning of lunch and checking progress after a couple of minutes. I also use smaller cards so Photos does not have to struggle with too many photos at once.
06-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, I think I'll just shoot JPEG most of the time from now on, and only shoot RAW occasionally. The Q's JPEGs are pretty good anyway.